No Love for the soon to be dead W line?

I got you. Because the (W) ran only 9 trains total, and the (Q) has at least what, 9 in each direction, so yeah, maybe your right, that they would only send it up during certain hours or turn some at 57 Street..

Yup. That's why I think it would've made more sense to just leave the (W) alone for just the rush hours. But middays have the (N) run local. That should be a fair enough compromise because the (W) service is just going to be shifted over to the (Q) and (N) lines anyway. Lower Manhattan is the big loser.

Yup. That's why I think it would've made more sense to just leave the (W) alone for just the rush hours. But middays have the (N) run local. That should be a fair enough compromise because the (W) service is just going to be shifted over to the (Q) and (N) lines anyway. Lower Manhattan is the big loser.

yea, they lost (M2) and (W) service down there, I wonder if the (J) will be enough for Nassau St service

I just noticed that, your right. (Q)s will have to wait for the (N) to clear upon entering Canal going Queens-Bound, because the (N) will cross to the Local Track, then the (Q) will have to wait for (N)s & ®s to clear above 34 St so the (Q) can run to Astoria via the Local track. And the same for Brooklyn-Bound (Q)s crossing above 34 St, and waiting at Prince for an (N) to cross, or the (N) will wait for the (Q) to clear.

Now that brings us to the next question. Will the (Q) run express to/from 57 St/7 Av, or will it do what the current (N) pattern is. Since the (Q) is solo on the Express track, why not go thru express all the way to 57 St, then merge with the (N) & (R)? <-- Are you hearing this (MTA)? This makes sense. Use it!

Zach

I would assume that it will follow the current (N) pattern, while the (N) follows the (W)'s pattern in Manhattan. There has also been an increase in ridership at the 49th street station so this would somewhat be justified as well.

I think the (Q) is slated to run to Astoria the same hours as the (W). Im sure 57 St/7 Av will only be used as a terminal late nights and weekends. Possibly evenings between 9 and midnight, but other than that. Astoria seems to be the (Q)s new 5 days a week home..

Makes a lot of sense. Seeing as the (W) doesnt end till like 10-11pm correct me if i'm wrong, the (Q) would run to 57th Street during late nights and weekends.

The real question is, "is the (M) going to be able to live up to the expectations of those who want midtown?"

I bet you dollars to doughnuts that riders will resort to taking the (L) after time.

I disagree, in the AM, Delancey Street on the Uptown (F) line is usually crowded because of those riders from the (J)(M2)(Z) lines, same in the PM rush when the Queens Bound Platform at Essex Street is crowded because of the riders that came out of the (F). Also, 14th Street is a major transfer point for the (L) as well, as riders would transfer for the (M2) at Myrtle-Wycoff Aves, it alleviates crowding for both of those lines. But we'll see what happens when the cuts arrives.

yea, they lost (M2) and (W) service down there, I wonder if the (J) will be enough for Nassau St service

We'll find out soon enough in June.

I still say that if the W is going to be cut, they could run a few Rs from 95th St to Whitehall to at least cover the M [it doesn't have to run that many], but I just don't see the R as enough to handle the loss of both the W and M lines.

The (W) is not jam packed thats incorrect .

That's not true. PM rush hours the (W) is just as crowded as the (N) past 34th St., which is moderate SRO to packed. AM rush hours the (W) picks up a lot of people take both the (N) and (W) so both trains are packed to at least 34th St.

Broadway can get by with one express with the (Q) because you still have the (N) as a semi express on broadway because its still skipping city hall, courtlandt, rector and whitehall. In effect broadway has twp express trains still.

Bypassing Lower Manhattan isn't considered an express line. That's like saying the (E) runs express from Roosevelt Ave. to West 4th St. while the (V) runs local. Or that the (F) is express from Roosevelt to Rockefeller while the (V) is local.

Oic, thanks. But agreed with what some have mentioned: Astoria can't turn back both the N and Q lines as they are both pretty frequent. They need to short turn the Q somewhere or else create a major jam at Ditmars.

Only about half of the (Q) trains are going to continue on to Astoria. The other half would be turned at 57th St.

I'm more concerned about the V line, is the M going to be able to live up to the expectations of the QB line ?

It's basically going to be the same thing, only 120' shorter and I'm not sure if the headways will be the same or a little longer.

Didn't they just rebuild South Ferry? Does this have anything to do with the Fulton Transit Center?

Nope, the (1) heading to New Lots is due to work at the Cortlandt Street station, underneath World Trade Center.

The (W) is being cut while the (Z) stays, this blows. I personally think the (W) gets more riders than the (Z) period.

The (W) runs all day from Monday to Friday, while the (Z) only exists during rush hours. I don't see much (Z) trains, but I see plenty of (W) train riders and it really takes the load off the (N) and (R).

Well in that 1 hour that the (Z) runs twice a day, it gets pretty crowded. In the pm rush its crowded the entire trip.

I hope the (2) doesn't scrape the wall in Manhattan like it did in the days after 9/11. It was slow and severely overcrowded.

Im not changing the subject here because this is a (W) thread, but I heard from a TA employee the (9) is to make a return and run between 242 St, and Flatbush Avenue. Again, I only bring up the (1) because Lower Manhattan is losing the (W)....

Oh please say it ain't so. I don't think the (9) should be brought back. Skip stop doesn't work for the (1) line even if it is going to [i'd assume New Lots again].

I do wonder: will the (2) take some of the (4)'s R142/As to fill in the gaps via the 7th Av local segment or take some of the (3)'s R62s?

I don't think its for skip-stop purpose, just for this project, I heard it might be revived... But I heard that in January, so well see whats up ..

No, the Z just skips stops that the J makes. It is basically a 2nd J train. There's no difference other than there being slightly less Z trains total.

Yeah, when skip-stop was going on back in the 60s/70s (either decade), the 70(J) was skip-stop but used the same designation: the train was either classified as an 'A' train making all the 'A' stops, or a 'B' train making the 'B' stops.

• 2 weeks later...
So it's a 70(J)70(A) train or a 70(J)70(:P train.

No, NX Express, from 1968 to 1972 when the (QJ) train ran from 168th Street-Jamaica Terminal to Coney Island and the (KK) train ran from 168th Street-Jamaica Terminal to 57th Street-Sixth Avenue and they made 'A' and 'B' stops, the (QJ) made 'A' stops and the (KK) made 'B' stops between 168th Street and Eastern Parkway.

In 1973, the (QJ) was shortened to Broad Street and became the 70(J) and the (KK) was shortened to Eastern Parkway and became the (K) and, I believe, alternating 70(J) trains made 'A' and 'B' stops between 168th Street and Eastern Parkway. In either case, this pattern was weekday rush hours only.

I don't think its for skip-stop purpose, just for this project, I heard it might be revived... But I heard that in January, so well see whats up ..

Im pretty interested to hear what that service pattern may be like.

As for the (W): Its presence will be missed, and it should be kept as a Rush Hour only like like Grand Concourse said. Or at least increase service on the (R) since its going to need all the help it can get.

Archived