Broken Runs.

BZGuy

Just wondered if the MTA had what they call at CTTransit "BXs" or Broken Runs?

A BX is a shift in where instead of being on one line you switch lines during your run. They switch between local lines and express lines too.

Example my dad (who works in Hartford) does BX344 as his pm run does:

13-Windsor Locks Express

44-Garden St

83-Silver Lane (outbound to Buckland Mall)

82-Tolland Tpke (inbound from Buckland Mall)

Basically they take runs that don't fit into a normal "line" and create hybrid lines.

I wonder if that would work for the MTA to keep from cutting as many routes as they are planning?

A BX is a shift in where instead of being on one line you switch lines during your run. They switch between local lines and express lines too.

13-Windsor Locks Express

44-Garden St

Basically they take runs that don't fit into a normal "line" and create hybrid lines.

I wonder if that would work for the MTA to keep from cutting as many routes as they are planning?

You mean taking Route A to a terminal and leaving as Route B?

The (MTA) does that already.

I don't know if this is exactly what you're talking about, but I know the MTA does have runs that become different routes. Such as the B25 bus after a few round trips, the drivers go on break at the East New York Depot and then become the B83.

13-Windsor Locks Express

44-Garden St

Do you mean that the drivers change the sign while they are in service? Like the 13 bus changes to the 44 bus when it reaches the starting point of the 44 or something? I think that that is the idea when they will combine some of the lines, like the B61 and B77.

I believe he's talking about something like interlining. JFK does a lot of this, drivers could have for example 0605(run not associated with example). He could do a few round trips on the Q40, then deadhead to 165th Street, do a round trip on the Q6 and then do a trip on the Q41 and the does a trip on the Q6 and then his day is done. Most of JFKs runs are cut up like that.

Archived