How do you see the future of NYC Subway Cars?

tramrunner

I think the A cars (assuming that new cars are still built in 5-car sets) (also, only the end cars of the train, so the middles of the cars would be normal around the middle of the train) would be more streamlined, like a bullet train in the future.

In the very near future, like say the R179, I can imagine the interiors of the cars to resemble the PA-5s. So subway cars could also state their destination at the front of the train along with the route letter or number. One of the most useful features would be the weather/sports information and the news reports. It would be very prone to vandalism though.

but please.... if there will be warious bad news transmitted in trains,

I'd simply close my ears, riding them.

For example, when I came to some medical office and heard about some bad accident on I-95, followed by some "sexual harrasment" news it made me realy mad and depressed. ..... These news are waste of time for everyone.

I dont want them to "engrace" my train trips.....

MUSIC will be the best for PATH ....

PathTrainClef.jpg

and for NYC subway

actually I never was there, yet I rode some thier electric trains (423 series) the only subway-related change would be to use shoes instead of pantographs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CLVBF3POZ0

make them silver, and run in New York!!!!!

I see R170 only THIS WAY!!!!!

guess why there are "as in Frankfurt" Duevag trains on San Diego Trolley?

Cause 2 City Hall Workers traveled to Frankfurt, liked their subways, and persuaded government to use those kind of cars.

my idea of a good subway car would be like this:

- outside would be like a R40 Slant

- would have stainless steel

- railfan window of course

- would be nice and fast, top speed would be maybe 80 MPH

yea that's pretty much it...

of course, that is a thing of the past and will never happen, and most likely our new subway cars would be more new high-tech trash that is slow with annoying automated announcements without railfan windows

I see subway cars in the future very hi-tech. The front will mimic the R-38 but will have a full LED read out. The front signs will return to destination sign (ex. (E) :: World Trade Center) The sides will be set up like a Chicago L except with three doors. Also they will be built in married pairs and be 60-Feet. A few car will look exactly the same but they will run in singles and be 64-feet long. (Ment for Shuttles and Lines with less cars.) Also they will be automatic and feature OPTO operation.

and will be much better to render them out ..... as I can't do.

I cant say that German S-bahn remind R40ies. But lets just intermix some elements. Just pretend the walls of S-Bahns to be bent out so, as R40 walls are (if you look carefully on R40ies). Plus, make a vindows placements as on R40ies The cabs of German S-bahns are slant themselves.

The idea of combining features of R38 and Chicago Els sounds interesting too.

But seriously speaking would be very nice to make MTA read this ideas.

have you ever ridden a R160 on the N between Lex and queensboro plaza?

the ride is pathetic, can't even feel your ears pop

Yes, error, going deaf with a case of tinnitis is a good thing when riding through the 60th Street tunnel in an R40.

You're not thinking like a regular passenger. Just because there is no railfan window doesn't mean the train is crap.

the ride is pathetic, can't even feel your ears pop[/quote

Your right the ride on the R160 between lex and queensboro is pathetic.But riding an R160 in general sucks.But look on the bright side it could be worst.Look how crappy and horrable the R142 rides.But overall riding an R160 is boring.

the ride is pathetic, can't even feel your ears pop

*nods head no*

1. Ride on the R160s on the 60th Street tunnel is not pathetic. Its fast (pending if there isn't another train ahead) and really comfortable.

2. WHY DO YOU WANT YOUR EYES TO POP?!? I hate that when I'm riding the subway sometimes. Some other places, pending, is cool. But not really in NYC.

im using the popping ears as an example of the speed of the train. for some reason when a train is going really fast downhill your ears start to pop.

and that has nothing to do with the railfan window, i'll even admit the ride between lex and Queensboro on the N is better in an R68 than a R160.

it kinda feels like that the brakes are being appliled when its going downhill in the first part, but that could just be me

Ok Ok, enough with the Ear poppin I got another idea. Right now I'm typing from Atlanta and I notice the MARTA train are very unique for 75-footers. I think subways in NY should have TV's that can be heard from your portable radio. Also trains in Atlanta have shocks that make it feel like they're running on air. Not even an R-160 has that!!! New shocks!!!!! For NYC!!!!

im using the popping ears as an example of the speed of the train. for some reason when a train is going really fast downhill your ears start to pop.

If you railfan the 60th Street tunnel on an R40 there are two places in the tunnel where our ears pop and there is a rush of air. It happens the most on an R40, less on an R46 and even less on an R68/R160.

Archived