Does Anyone Know Why There's More Bus Traffic at PABT?- 3/26/10

FamousNYLover

Around 17:32 today, there was heavy bus traffic on 40th St from near Michael J. Quill to PABT ramp.

Does anyone know what happened?

I never seen PABT with heavey bus delays.

Bus was taking turn entering bus ramp from 10th Av or via 41st St to make U-turn.

I was wondering the same because it took longer than usual to get into the tunnel to the city. Traffic was backed up really bad past exit 15X

I think it had something to do with the coyote on the West Side Highway

That was at the Holland Tunnel, and also wasn't even on friday.

• 3 weeks later...

It's unfortunately a pretty common thing. I work in Edgewater, NJ but live in Brooklyn to I take the bus home around that time every day. Very often the traffic going into the tunnel is backed up all the way so the bus coming out of Lincoln Harbor on 19th St in Weehawken will sit in the intersection of 19th and Park/Blvd East, and the buses lined up stretch all the way up Blvd East sometimes to at least Baldwin Ave. Once you've made it through that mess it's very common for the ramp at Dyer and 40th to be very backed up. I've usually found if it's not the tunnel that's backed up, the ramp will be. Sometimes both, seldom are neither. A lot of times the best bet is when the cones are still up preventing right lane buses from making the left onto Dyer, is when they haveta make the right onto Dyer and sometimes the driver will make a courtesy stop on Dyer and 35th, cause sometimes it can be another 10 minutes or more til you make it into PABT.

Damn, I really need to find a new job, in the city!

It's unfortunately a pretty common thing. I work in Edgewater, NJ but live in Brooklyn to I take the bus home around that time every day. Very often the traffic going into the tunnel is backed up all the way so the bus coming out of Lincoln Harbor on 19th St in Weehawken will sit in the intersection of 19th and Park/Blvd East, and the buses lined up stretch all the way up Blvd East sometimes to at least Baldwin Ave. Once you've made it through that mess it's very common for the ramp at Dyer and 40th to be very backed up. I've usually found if it's not the tunnel that's backed up, the ramp will be. Sometimes both, seldom are neither. A lot of times the best bet is when the cones are still up preventing right lane buses from making the left onto Dyer, is when they haveta make the right onto Dyer and sometimes the driver will make a courtesy stop on Dyer and 35th, cause sometimes it can be another 10 minutes or more til you make it into PABT.

Damn, I really need to find a new job, in the city!

I know how you feel.

I remember on Monday in past year, when I got on Rockland Coach #20 bus which departed Palisade Mall at 5:20pm and it took 103 minutes with that awful long local ride and Lincoln Tunnel traffic almost strechting from Rockland Coach #20 Route. I was above to have you-know-what.

• 1 month later...

Even on the weekends, the ramp would be CLOGGED with traffic and once you get out, it's all normal. I noticed that it's majority of people that pay with cash then have a EZ-PASS that is clogging the roads. I always thought that a 4th tunnel should be made but I don't know anymore about that.

Folks seem to forget that Jersey side loses a tunnel for the afternoon rush out of NY. Plus that nonsense of not being able to take the left on Dyer backs things up pretty good.

I've noticed alot of NJT and Academy guys seem to favor going local though Hoboken to get to the tunnel,but IMO its takes the same amount of time to get to the tolls.

I wish they could segregate Cash and EZ Pass lanes on 495, it might make things move quicker

• 2 weeks later...
Folks seem to forget that Jersey side loses a tunnel for the afternoon rush out of NY. Plus that nonsense of not being able to take the left on Dyer backs things up pretty good.

I've noticed alot of NJT and Academy guys seem to favor going local though Hoboken to get to the tunnel,but IMO its takes the same amount of time to get to the tolls.

They go through Weehawken because 70% of the time, it's quicker to get inside the tunnel, which it is. Yet, there's a side effect to that during the PM Rush - if you go through Weehawken, you gotta go through the Right lane of the tunnel, meaning that unless the PABT take the cones up, you're going to make a right on Dyer to either 36th or 34th street to get to 9th or 10 avenue, which is a bigger pain sometimes. I always go on 495 and wait because I want to get in PABT, not take the LONG way and waste more time. It's a pain in the butt. It's not just NJT, it's everyone. Greyhound, Martz, Peter Pan, Academy, Coach USA, you name it.

Archived