CTA Procures New Cars

Forest Glen

The Chicago Transit Authority will soon begin an extended test period on the prototype trainset of its new 5000-Series rapid transit cars from Bombardier. Ordered in 2006 under a contract worth $603.6 million, CTA’s new 5000-Series cars will replace older equipment, some more than 30 years old, such as the 2200-Series Budd cars that were purchased in 1969-70, and the 2400-Series Boeing-Vertol cars purchased in 1976-78. The new cars feature security cameras and aisle-facing seating, and a.c. propulsion

http://www.railwayage.com/breaking-news/new-railcars-rolling-on-the-loop.html

I'm glad that the CTA was able to purchase new cars in spite of the bad economy.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm disappointed that CTA is going with aisle-facing seats. I ride the (5) train every day to work and, like the rest of the numbered lines, it has aisle-facing seats. I hate aisle-facing seats because people spread out on them, taking up two to four seats. And it's not just large people doing it, you've got a lot of skinny people (mostly young) who spread out on those benches. One of the things I loved most about the L were the forward-facing seats on its rolling stock. I really would hate to see them go.

Longitudinal seating will be the norm because it offers more standee room, thus great capacity.

Well, more people are going to be standing because there will be people taking up more than one seat. When people see there are fewer seats and that they're going to have to stand when they used to be able to sit, they won't like the new cars. Mark my words.

Well, more people are going to be standing because there will be people taking up more than one seat. When people see there are fewer seats and that they're going to have to stand when they used to be able to sit, they won't like the new cars. Mark my words.

As the French would like to say: "C'est la vie"

Of course everyone would like a seat, but conversational seating would only mean less capacity. They want to sardine everyone

• 1 month later...

Archived