Have you ever been on the DC Metro?

Etoile

I forget where it came from, but I stumbled across this blog post that had a review of the Metro here in DC. The relevant parts:

I would like to say that our VP lied to us. We were apprehensive about doing the subway thing because we thought it was going to be like New York’s subway. Not that we’ve ever been to NY, but we’ve seen pics…and heard the stories. So, when our VP told us the metrorail (aka the subway) was clean and we’d be perfectly safe, blah, blah, blah, we were thinking this thing was going to be like an underground Amtrak train or something.

I don’t know what his idea of clean was, but this subway was not it.

It’s exactly what we thought it would be. Dirty. Dimly lit (Steven would’ve had a field day with the lighting–or lack thereof–in this place). Dangerous. feeling of unsavoryness. Every movie you’ve seen about subway trains derailing, every cop/drama show you’ve seen about something bad goin’ down in a subway, this is what it looked like. In fact, they probably filmed those movies and shows in this very subway.

We had no idea what to do to get a ticket, how many we needed, etc, so we asked the lady in the booth. For $10, we each got bought a smart card and that will last us the whole time we’re here. I think. It’s the cheapest transportation in the city. Although the people were very helpful in leading you in the right direction, we still didn’t like it. Here’s why—

1) It’s underground. You enter underground and you ride the majority of the time in a tunnel. You’re only up on top–crossing into DC–for, like, 47 seconds.

2) The metro tunnel/station is dirty - In some spots there are stains (even burn marks) on the walls, and it makes you wonder if they’re human remains.

3) The metrorail itself is pretty seedy – like that train you saw in that one J. Lo video. I think we’ve might’ve been riding the L. isn’t that the train she was talking about?

4) Everyone was suspicious – Men and women alike. We trusted no one, stuck close together and kept our purses tucked close to our bodies. We were tense on the rides–coming and going–and eyed everyone that stepped on board.

5) We got lost – And probably would’ve ended up in Maryland if the rail we were on hadn’t gone out of service at the next stop. Even though there are only two rails–going in opposite directions–it’s very easy to get turned around.

Despite the disappointment, we were proud of ourselves for riding it, for being able to find our way around, and still making it back just in time to catch the shuttle back to our hotel.

I would really like to get feedback on this. I'm a DC native, 5 years younger than the metro here, so it's always been around. When I read this blog post, I was crushed. Is this really how outsiders see our subway? I admit, the very first time I rode the NYC subway, I was a little overwhelmed - but I wasn't horrified.

I just...I can't believe this post. Seedy? Dirty? Suspicious?! This isn't my metro! (And yes, it's underground...it's a subway.)

I've been afraid to say anything to the original writer of this, because I don't want to come off as obsessed or snarky. But I would really like to get feedback from others who are familiar with transit and who have been on the metro down here.

Thanks! :P

I absolutely disagree with the author of this story. I've been on the Metro quite a lot lately, and as I ride it, I always think to myself how clean, homelike it is compared to the NYC subway.

These people have got to be some cocky tourists, because to not understand the Metro in DC where you have lines by color and destinations you have to be completely stupid. I mean, even my mother understood how it works and said: "this is so easy compared to New York."

As for the safety, I'll just say I rode the Orange Line from New Carrollton all the way to my hotel in Rosslyn and the ride was very safe and fast, I'll point out this was on a Sunday past midnight. The people were a lot more polite and friendly in all my encounters.

In the end, who are they to judge? They compare it to New York never having been there... :tdown:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=497&g2_serialNumber=2

Whoever wrote that is either on crack or needs to check into a mental hospital.The DC Metro is one of the best in the country and I enjoy my time there everytime I go.Metrorail is the cleanest anywhere considering that there is a strict no eating/drinking rule in the metrorail and with only 5 lines to navigate its very easy to get around.And the buses.....ooooooooo CHILD!Love them all!From thier New Flyers to Flxibles,they all sound awesome.Definitely a place where I would consider moving to.(1)(A)(C)

It's one of the best in the country. I've riden twice on my one time there. The trains are clean, the stations are magnificant, and the people seemed friendly. If this person hates this system sucks, then he or she should be a car. I noticed that the person also made a mistake with how the train is not undergroound above for about 47 seconds. A lot of it is elevated. And besides, the subway is supposed to be mostly underground. What the hell does the person expect, pass by the White House on their trip to work?

Even though I have never rode on the Washington Metro or been to Washington DC, from the pictures I have seen of the system I think it isexcellent. Sure some stations might be deep as 181 Street on the (1), but they look way better than the southern end of 168 Street (1). The trains and platforms look cleaner than the MTA's or even SEPTAs. That person's description of the Metro is almost like me saying that the 2009 Washington Nationals were the best team in the MLB.

She's just a blogger looking to drum up attention in her attempt to become famous. Maybe she should just stay in always sunny Arizona with the cacti and sand since she's so afraid of being mugged. "We trusted no one, stuck close together and kept our purses tucked close to our bodies." C'mon! What a wimp!!!

The Washington Metro is arguably the safest metro/subway system in the US. If I were to take her words as solid truth, then I would have to go to work in the NYC Subway on Monday with an AK47 and a couple of grenades in case one isn't enough. Best leave her blog alone and let it fade into obscurity.

I just responded to her blog:

Dear, Celise

I have been at Washington DC, but I never rode their Metro rapid transit system yet. From what you are describing, you must be saying that their trains are dirty. I am a New Yorker who rides the NYC Subway almost everyday and I rarely have issues with the subway cars being dirty. I can understand you feeling a bit scared about your experiences at Washington DC. Being underground most of the time may not be fun, but at least you are going somewhere.

I just wanted to lend my two cents here.

See, what/any credibility the author had gets deep-sixed when he/she says this:

We were apprehensive about doing the subway thing because we thought it was going to be like New York’s subway.

followed by this:

Not that we’ve ever been to NY...

In any case, you've got to be pretty stupid not to be able to read signs and follow simple instructions on ticket machines and so on. Maybe he/she is best off relying on Mummy and Daddy's taxi service if public transport horrifies her to such an extent...!

And no I haven't been on the Metro, but every one of the other undergrounds/metros/subways I have used is more or less idiot-proof.

No, I haven't, though I admire Metrorail (and BART). The Green and Red Lines look like they would be fun to railfan.

Actually, only about 50 miles are underground and 47 stations. That leaves about 56.3 miles outdoors and 39 stations.

The Silver Line will bring Metrorail to 129.3 miles with six lines and 97 stations making it the second largest system in miles and the third largest system in stations operated.

I forget where it came from, but I stumbled across this blog post that had a review of the Metro here in DC. The relevant parts:

I would really like to get feedback on this. I'm a DC native, 5 years younger than the metro here, so it's always been around. When I read this blog post, I was crushed. Is this really how outsiders see our subway? I admit, the very first time I rode the NYC subway, I was a little overwhelmed - but I wasn't horrified.

I just...I can't believe this post. Seedy? Dirty? Suspicious?! This isn't my metro! (And yes, it's underground...it's a subway.)

I've been afraid to say anything to the original writer of this, because I don't want to come off as obsessed or snarky. But I would really like to get feedback from others who are familiar with transit and who have been on the metro down here.

Thanks! ;)

Wow! Whoever wrote that piece of garbage has obviously not been on the Metro. I've been on Washington's Metro many times and I've never felt unsafe on the trains. If anything, I wish our own subway here in New York could be more like Metro. Carpeted trains with comfortable, forward-facing seats. You'll never see that in New York. For a system with all-local service, the trains move fast between stations. The system keeps expanding, with the Silver Line to Tyson's Corner under construction as we type. Imagine that! Just getting the (MTA) to build a measly three-station extension of the (Q) train or to build two stations on the (7) train extension seems to be asking for too much here in New York.

I enjoy riding Metro. Don't let some fool who probably lives in a gated community and probably travels by private plane get you down. Clearly this idiot doesn't know very much about the world outside of her snob community.

First I would like to say this: that I thought the blogger was talking about OUR subway - how it is dark, unsafe and dirty. Even today, we are ameliorating the stereotypes that we were given: some of our facelifted stations are much more airy, and no longer our subways are unsafe (despite some recent crime) and the cars do not look like they came out from the landfill.

I rode the Metro myself during the summer; its not even comparable to our subway. For the most part, you can predict when the next train is coming (I was the only one leering into the tunnel, as if I was still in New York), it is very easy to use and except for the odour in the elevator, it is substantially clean. Dark, maybe, but that's aesthetics. Underground? I rode into College Park and right at Fort Totten, the thing becomes overground. It does go through brief tunnel sections, but the stations are elevated. New York Avenue, one of the newest stations, is elevated. This person is clearly not from the city and is not aware of city customs. In every large city, whether or not before or after the attacks, the riders don't usually make random conversations with fellow passengers unless something happens.

And the ticketing? Please, there is something called "The Unofficial Guide to Washington DC", I literally studied how to purchase a ticket and use the system months in advance before making my trip. Even if the person didn't buy the book, there is something called the World Wide Web where the person can go onto http://www.wmata.com or onto some transit forum for some help on how to ride the Metro.

Yes our system in DC is clean and will stay clean over our strict rules! No eating is allowed on our buses and trains and people follow that rule cause they know our officers dont play about that. And we are also strict about litter,trash and etc. Couple years back we had a 12 yr old girl eat french fries on board a train and she got arrested for that but that has been resolved now. And also our trains are cleaned and i dont recall seeing any graffiti on any.

And about being underground it depends on the line your own as Forest Glen commented. The only line i can think of that is mostly underground is the green and red but they go out door alot of times to. The sysytem is safe as it can be to. Also there is absolutley positivley no way you can ever get lost in our system unless you study the map for a good 2 mins if your a new rider.

I ride the metro about everyday so i know what im talking about!

Archived