Question About Metrocard

Donald

Hi everyone,

When you buy an unlimited "Fun Pass" Metrocard for $8.25, when does the clock start ticking until it expires? From the time when you purchase it or from the time you first swipe it? I'm asking because I want to buy an unlimited Metrocard for 1 day but use it at a later date.

let's say you're out all day on sunday. you spent all day in manhattan.

the time is now 11:57p (sunday), you enter the 50th street (C)(E) station to buy a fun pass (why, I have no idea...)

you buy a fun pass at exactly midnight (12:00a)...however, 12:00a is monday. the fun pass would expire 3:00a on tuesday (27 hours later).

let's say you're out all day on sunday. you spent all day in manhattan.

the time is now 11:57p (sunday), you enter the 50th street (C)(E) station to buy a fun pass (why, I have no idea...)

you buy a fun pass at exactly midnight (12:00a)...however, 12:00a is monday. the fun pass would expire 3:00a on tuesday (27 hours later).

You could also buy the fun pass on sunday at 11:59 p.m., swipe on Monday at 12:00, and the card is done at 3 a.m. tuesday.

• 2 weeks later...
The One Day Fun Pass is valid from your first swipe until 3:00am the following morning. If you purchased one at 10:58pm and swiped it to enter Queens Plaza (E)(F)(G)(R)(V), you'd have 3 hours 2 minutes of use.

At $8.25, that's about three and one-half rides.

But if you waited for 3 minutes, you'd have 26 hours 59 minutes of use!

I'm confused. How?

In this case, the one-day pass works until the next day at 3 in the morning. You can buy the card and not use it for a few days, weeks, or even months. Until the moment you swipe it, the card is still good.

I'm confused. How?

Actually, at 10:58pm, I would have to wait one hour and three minutes.

In my example, if I purchased a One Day Fun Pass at 12:01am and swiped it to enter Queens Plaza (E)(F)(G)(R)(V), I would have 26 hours 59 minutes since the card is good until 3:00am the following morning. But by purchasing it at 10:58pm and swiping it, I only have 4 hours 2 minutes.

I learned this the fun way: I purchased my first One Day Fun Pass (they were $4.00 then) at 9:57pm and swiped it to enter 161st Street-Yankee Stadium (4)(:)(D). Next day I found out 3am meant 3am the following morning, not the following day. At least I got one ride for my $4.00. ;) :eek:

My rule is I never 1st swipe a 1-day after 7pm...it'll be better to just use a PPR metrocard....

Would be nice if MTA would sell Weekend cards for unlimited rides...Have the farboxes and turnstyles programmed not to accept them until 7pm Friday after the rush and for 17$ one can ride all weekend until 3am Monday.

Just an idea for Kids with weekend jobs and such during the summer, also would work great for the weekend tourist.

My rule is I never 1st swipe a 1-day after 7pm...it'll be better to just use a PPR metrocard....

Would be nice if MTA would sell Weekend cards for unlimited rides...Have the farboxes and turnstyles programmed not to accept them until 7pm Friday after the rush and for 17$ one can ride all weekend until 3am Monday.

Just an idea for Kids with weekend jobs and such during the summer, also would work great for the weekend tourist.

Suggest that to them.

$16.50 for a Two Day/Weekend Fun Pass, good from a rider's first swipe at 7:30pm Friday (or later) until 3:00am Monday morning does sound like a nice idea, LennyJ and NX Express.

At $16.50, that would be about nine rides.

PATH could pdssibly introduce a similiar Two Day/Weekend Fun PATH Pass (maybe for $14.00) with similiar hours of use.

$16.50 for a Two Day/Weekend Fun Pass, good from a rider's first swipe at 7:30pm Friday (or later) until 3:00am Monday morning does sound like a nice idea, LennyJ and NX Express.

At $16.50, that would be about nine rides.

PATH could pdssibly introduce a similiar Two Day/Weekend Fun PATH Pass (maybe for $14.00) with similiar hours of use.

But that defeats the whole point, since people can just buy 2 1-Dayers.

It should be ~$8 to attract customers.

Archived