The future NYC Subway

Ok, thanks all for the great feedback. Here is the updated diagram which more accurately shows the geography. It should be a bit easier to follow the existing lines and see the new ones I added. I also updated the map when you link to it.

nycsubwaydiagram3.png

You're map is beautiful. I wish our system was like you're map. It fills completely empty areas and actually does take you to all corners of the city. I actually spent an hour just looking at it. Great work.

Thanks! I put a lot of work and thought into it.

On my blog I just posted the write up for various Second Ave subway expansion ideas: http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com/_index/2010/04/the-futurenycsubway-2nd-ave-subway-future/

I also include a PDF of this diagram with just SAS expansions (as outlined on my blog) for those that want to save it.

The geographic map I stitched together Google Map screen shots then imported that into Adobe Illustrator where I just drew in the lines. The diagram I made from scratch in Illustrator.

thanks for the geographical version but what about the regular version?

Here is my first stab at a track map. It is for what I call the Bushwick Trunk Line, an updated version of the IND Second System subway through northern Brooklyn to Utica Ave and the Rockaways.

Warning: This links to a PDF.

bushwicktrunk.gif

This is the first major track map I've made. The only big problem I see is that the Myrtle Ave station is hard to wrap your head around which is why I split it up.

• 2 weeks later...
Here is my first stab at a track map. It is for what I call the Bushwick Trunk Line, an updated version of the IND Second System subway through northern Brooklyn to Utica Ave and the Rockaways.

Warning: This links to a PDF.

bushwicktrunk.gif

This is the first major track map I've made. The only big problem I see is that the Myrtle Ave station is hard to wrap your head around which is why I split it up.

I like the track maps a lot!

@MTR Admiralty @MegaBus Thanks! I put an insane amount of time and energy into this stuff.

I noticed that in your geographical map, you extended the (G) with the (Q) to Manhattan.

Yeah, still don't know how I feel about that one.

The issue is how much service do I need on the subway under Northern Blvd to Flushing. As proposed, the (L) would be the express and the (O) would be local. I had the (G) running as a second local service as mostly a supplement so it would be possible to have the (G) run elsewhere, hence running it to Harlem. The Hell Gate Bridge viaduct on Randalls Island would need to be retrofitted to allow the tracks to descend into a subway, but that technically would be possible.

The (G) is just always the odd one out. I figure connecting Astoria to Harlem would be beneficial given how popular the M60 is, though that probably has more to do with it running to LGA than the need to connect those two neighborhoods.

Maybe I'll restore the (G) to running along Northern Blvd and the TrX Line could connect there, skip the Bronx? I'm still working this all out in my head.

Ok I've updated the maps again. Changes:

- I went back with my original routing of the (G) to Flushing.

- I took off the <F> through south Brooklyn and took out the Bergen St express stop on the (:) Staten Island Line to speed up service. The (B) would be the only train to use that platform and keeping it out of service would make travel times quicker.

- I reconfigured the Fulton St subway as it relates to the 2nd Ave subway. 8th Ave local trains, (C)(E) , now are Fulton St express trains and 2nd Ave express trains, (P) (Y) , now run Fulton St local. The switch has to do with eliminating a bottleneck at Hoyt-Schermerhorn. 2nd Ave trains would have needed to switch from the outside to the inside tracks, 8th Ave trains vise-versa. (E) trains still run out to South Jamaica but now (C) trains run there too and (P) trains terminate at Cross-Bay Blvd.

- The (Y) train used to be pink but I brought it back to light blue to integrate it into the 2nd Ave trunk line.

- The (Y) train also no longer runs along Atlantic Ave.

The big maps are still being updated but you can now download the diagram in PDF form here.

Personally I don't really like that alternative. With the extra cost for adding a spur I think it just doesn't make sense, the ridership wouldn't justify the cost. My own pie-in-the-sky plan for Alphabet City-LES is a network of streetcars. Yeah, I said streetcars! I'm going to write a proposal for that as a supplement to my futureNYCSubway series after I finish the big stuff. Due the odd shape of Manhattan in this section I think that streetcars would actually work running one way on parallel streets.

Personally I don't really like that alternative. With the extra cost for adding a spur I think it just doesn't make sense, the ridership wouldn't justify the cost. My own pie-in-the-sky plan for Alphabet City-LES is a network of streetcars. Yeah, I said streetcars! I'm going to write a proposal for that as a supplement to my futureNYCSubway series after I finish the big stuff. Due the odd shape of Manhattan in this section I think that streetcars would actually work running one way on parallel streets.

That's actually interesting to see

Archived