IRT/BMT Connection between Tracks

6 Lexington Ave

You don't live in NY, but put your location as The Bronx, that's kinda confusing.

Well, me grandparents live there. I was born in NY but my parents decided to move back to Greece where we're all from. I always loved NY though, more than any other city in the world although I live in Athens. And I was always obsessed with the subway since I was like 4. They used to take me to Buhre aveniew or Middletown road so I can watch the trains..

Are the track connections evident at Queensboro Plaza?

Currently there is just a crossover east of the station, this is a far cry from what the complex originally was. Queensboro plaza was originally an eight track station with four island platforms (2 levels,4 tracks each) with many crossovers an switches,that allowed trains to serve the IRT Flushing and BMT Astoria lines in Queens as well as the 2nd Ave EL (via Queensboro bridge) and Times Sq (via the Steinway Tunnel). The IRT Trains served all the lines, the BMT trains only ran from Astoria to Queensboro Plaza where passengers transfered to trains to Manhattan. The complex begin to see its demise after the 2nd Ave EL was torn down and after the BMT and IRT uniformed its routes (BMT to Astoria & IRT to Flushing) eliminating the need for all the crossovers etc. leaving nothing but a simple X over on the upper level.

i'm not sure where I read it...perhaps here or SubChat but: is it correct that B div equipment is permitted onto the middle track on the Flushing Line up to 33 St?

That is correct, B Div equipment can get a line up from QBP to 33rd Rawson on the middle.

Are the tracks wide enough apart [provided the platforms were 'shaved'] to allow two 60'-car B division trains to run 'side by side'? I get conflicting info or no replies about this.

I think they are, this goes back tot eh old BMT/IRT joint operation days of the Astoria and Flushing Lines.

If you mean trip arms on both sides of the tracks, then yes, I'd assume that because of the two-way signalling.

That's not the same thing since the off side trip would clear as a train appoches that signal. Then once the wheels clear the I/J, the trip arm on the right side would clear too and would not trip B Div. equipment.

That's not the same thing since the off side trip would clear as a train approaches that signal. Then once the wheels clear the I/J, the trip arm on the right side would clear too and would not trip B Div. equipment.

Okay, I understand what you're saying actually now. I'm not sure to be honest.

I think they are, this goes back tot eh old BMT/IRT joint operation days of the Astoria and Flushing Lines.
The BMT cars in that operation were IRT sized. However, it was Dual Contracts construction, which was built wide enough for BMT sized cars, except for the platforms, of course.

Archived