BMT vs IRT/IND

6 Lexington Ave

IND was made for practicality of operation, and I like it for that (i.e. tons of switches, huge mezzanines, and smoother curves. However, except QBL, it did not expand to any new areas.

However, the BMT is more scenic and thus good as well.

IRT was selfish (designing trains to be incompatible with railroads), is small (car sizes) and underserves Brooklyn:tdown::tdown:

IND was made for practicality of operation, and I like it for that (i.e. tons of switches, huge mezzanines, and smoother curves. However, except QBL and Fulton, it did not expand to any new areas.

However, the BMT is more scenic and thus good as well.

IRT was selfish (designing trains to be incompatible with railroads), is small (car sizes) and underserves Brooklyn:tdown::tdown:

The IND built DIRECTLY under the BMT Fulton Street El.

Oops, forgot about that one.

The whole idea of the IND was to build it as direct competition to the IRT and BMT and force them to go under. The IND learned from the mistakes of the two older systems, thats why it was built to be fast and extremely flexible.

The whole idea of the IND was to build it as direct competition to the IRT and BMT and force them to go under. The IND learned from the mistakes of the two older systems, thats why it was built to be fast and extremely flexible.

Then why was QBL built?

So the 1st system was made to kill the BMT/IRT and the 2nd was to actually expand?

Sort of, I don't think all of the first system was even built. The only reason that parts of the second system were built was because they were built into Plan 1 stations or tunnels.

Archived