Tailpipe moving to the top

Bx41 Wakefield

What was the reason for this change to buses? Also I noticed some of the older Orion Vs had their tailpipes moved to the top. I've always wondered why.
Buses tend to breath better with the pipe on the top. remember earlier Orion 5s having their pipes on the bottom which slowed the acceleration some.

I'm not sure about the 'breathing' comment but a pipe at the top keep anything hot out of people's way - gasses plus the actual exhaust itself. They also don't blow dust and whatever else up off the road when they are at the top.

Isn't this some sort of EPA regulation? I remember reading on a forum (either here or RD) that the new batch of MCI's was cut short/delayed because the exhaust was superheated to a dangerous level in order to comply with an emissions regulation of some sort.

I guess if the exhaust has to be deliberately made hotter, it's better to vent it into the air away from anything then onto the pavement with a relatively low melting point.

Also what's with some Orion V's having a simple grille instead of a pipe coming out the top?

To make the exhaust pollute the air faster.

I thought that too, LOL!

They made the change so that I can draft behind busses on my bicycle without breathing pure exhaust fumes B)

LOL!

Right just like charter buses with exaust under the bus.

Yeah, the NF Vikings were the only coach buses I've seen with the pipe on top.

Isn't this some sort of EPA regulation? I remember reading on a forum (either here or RD) that the new batch of MCI's was cut short/delayed because the exhaust was superheated to a dangerous level in order to comply with an emissions regulation of some sort.

I guess if the exhaust has to be deliberately made hotter, it's better to vent it into the air away from anything then onto the pavement with a relatively low melting point.

Also what's with some Orion V's having a simple grille instead of a pipe coming out the top?

Possibly, that was another idea I had.

I think those were the Older Orion Vs. I remember when they put the pipes on top I thought it was strange. Then all buses started having their tailpipes on top.

This change of exhaust location is because of emission requirements by the EPA. There was a study a long time ago that the particulates would not be easily emitted from roof-mounted pipes. They are traped inside the engine for recirculation and ignition, which improves the overall exhaust air quality when its move on top.

It is the main reason that they were repowered the RTS and Orion V 1990-1993 buses, to decrease the polluting emissions.

This change of exhaust location is because of emission requirements by the EPA. There was a study a long time ago that the particulates would not be easily emitted from roof-mounted pipes. They are traped inside the engine for recirculation and ignition, which improves the overall exhaust air quality when its move on top.

It is the main reason that they were repowered the RTS and Orion V 1990-1993 buses, to decrease the polluting emissions.

Very true.Before the GOH of the RTS I remember when the pipe was under th bus,it would emit thick black smoke.But with the pipe on the top all you see is heat vapor.

Very interesting. Thank you, I'd always wondered the reasoning every time I see the pipe on top of buses.

Archived