Your Story from Bus Ride

FamousNYLover

SMH only in NYC.Remember folks. Assaulting a transit worker is a FELONY!!!!:mad:

Not really. If you ever see a London bus have a look what the driver sits behind. You would, quite literally, need either a blowtorch or an angle-grinder to get past the shield and get hold of the driver. It isn't there just to look good....

here's a story....

happened to me on the Q19, middle of last year.... I'll never forget this....

there were 6 other people waiting over there by Astoria blvd (N)(W)... I was the 4th person in line... the farebox was (supposedly) out of order.... the first person (was a woman) got on.. about to put her metro in the farebox, b/o waved her to the back.... after doing that, he put his hand over the metrocard slot of the farebox... 2nd person walks on (another woman), 3rd person walks on (heavy set guy)... then I walk on...

all of a sudden, he moves his hand off the farebox & does the *come here* motion w/ his fingers... I paid the fare (miraculously, only my card works... heh, yeah right).... then the next 3 ppl. got on, and he put his hand back over the farebox.... I could've easily made a scene out of that... probably should've reported him, but that would've done no good anyway....

when I got off in flushing, I just flipped him the bird (made sure I exited through the front door)... he got on his cell afterwards (at that point, I didn't care what his plans were, b/c I was already off the bus; the door was still open, and I looked him dead in his face... he saw me...)

btw, throughout the entire ride, I was the only person that had to pay...

just another day in america....

Big black guy in a predominantly white area...maybe the B/O didn't like your shirt

Speaking on the Bx41 and fare beaters.......One day when I had to ride the 41, I get off at my stop. I see a fare evader walking to the back, and since I normally don't use the yellow tape, I pushed open the door, walked out, and closed it behind me so that the fare beater couldn't get on. He tried to open it again, it was locked. And then he has the nerve to get pissed off at ME. HA!

Lesson 1: To stop a farebeater from getting a free ride, don't use the yellow tape, and close the door behind you.

(Oh how I love stopping farebeaters B))

ive done that before, Sometimes it works and sometimes it fails, cuz the b/o keeps the door unlocked.

I never use the tape or the push bars i just push the window softly and go thru and door closes. Unless people are getting off with me.. Then im like oh no....

4 kids got in an argument with the B/O over something like this:

B/O: Pay your fares!!

4th kid: The card doesn't have any more money.

B/O: Then get off the bus!!

Kids 1,2,3: But we paid already!!!!!!

In like ten minutes, the 4th kid found a passenger who had $3 in change (the fare was $2.25 by the time this happened). Then, we moved on again.

here's a story....

there were 6 other people waiting over there by Astoria blvd (N)(W)... I was the 4th person in line... the farebox was (supposedly) out of order.... the first person (was a woman) got on.. about to put her metro in the farebox, b/o waved her to the back.... after doing that, he put his hand over the metrocard slot of the farebox... 2nd person walks on (another woman), 3rd person walks on (heavy set guy)... then I walk on...

all of a sudden, he moves his hand off the farebox & does the *come here* motion w/ his fingers... I paid the fare (miraculously, only my card works... heh, yeah right).... then the next 3 ppl. got on, and he put his hand back over the farebox.... I could've easily made a scene out of that... probably should've reported him, but that would've done no good anyway....

when I got off in flushing, I just flipped him the bird (made sure I exited through the front door)... he got on his cell afterwards (at that point, I didn't care what his plans were, b/c I was already off the bus; the door was still open, and I looked him dead in his face... he saw me...)

I guess you had nothing to lose by giving him the bird. The fare was already paid and you can't put the fare back on the card.

If you had reported him, he would get penalized for discrimination, which he deserves, seeing as you were the only one who he forced to pay.

If it was only by the Astoria Blvd station, I could understand it if he let everybody on for free, since chances are that they transferred from the (N)/(W) trains and waiting for them to put in the MetroCard would be too time-consuming. I can't see any reasonable explanation as to why he let everybody on for free on the whole route, meaning he couldn't have avoided being penalized if you had reported him.

here's a story....

I would have went off on him

• 3 weeks later...

I remember when I was on M86 Eastbound on weekend during detour due to tree activity at 86th St Transverse Rd.

When bus went down Central Park West, one female was panick.

Female: Excuse are you going crosstown?

B/O (Male): Yes. Bus is going crosstown on 79th St Transverse Rd to Madison Av.

Female was impatient, and ask.

Female: Can I get off at bus stop here, please?

Male: Sorry, it's not my stop.

Another scene: When (S) Bus was replacing (2) bet. 96th & 149th Sts.

I was on express (2), when regular M104 rider got on it because of bus was stopping at M104 stop at 94th St.

When bus turn on 110th St, M104 rider was confuse, and she ask if B/O that he stop at somewhere on Broadway. B/O told her, next and last stop is 149th St-Grand Concourse. You got on wrong bus.

When I was on (D)(S) Bus (not this year, last year), when (D) got to M21 stop at Houston St/2nd Av, one chinese lady thinking it was M21. When bus did not stop, she complain you DID NOT STOP. B/O and I told her this was (S) Bus.

Okay. There was no ride in this story, but since we're complaining about injustices by MTA employes, I got one:

Last weekend, my father told me assist my grandmother (who lives in Sunnyside, Qns) in getting to my house (in Park Slope, Brlyn) via bus because she, being an elderly woman didn't want to go up the stairs at 46th street on the (7) or Union Street on the (R). Fair enough. I suggest she meets me in Williamsburg by taking the B24, cause it is a big hub and it's more of a middle ground where we could have taken the B62 from there. Okay, my grandmother has never taken the B24 before, as she usually takes the Q60 or the Q32. Initially she is waiting on the wrong side of the street to go towards Greenpoint, and when the driver on the passing bus tells her she's on the wrong side, she promptly crosses the street. (Because of this, she missed the first bus and it was a Sunday so the B24 was running 30 minute headways.) So, the next bus is supposed to come 20 minutes later and I am waiting at Williamsburg Plaza. Of course the bus never shows up to Sunnyside, Queens and I talk to the dispatcher who says the bus was on time to Williamsburg before. Of COURSE, the bus that supposed to pick her up shows up at the EXACT time it was supposed to show up in Williamsburg, leading me to suspect that the bus driver sat on the bus and just drove back. The dispatcher tells me his bus broke down and they had to give him a new bus, but that seemed way too convenient considering he got in right on schedule. The dispatcher would not tell me the bus number of his old bus and he tried to get me to go away so I wouldn't confront the B/O. Which I didn't go away... or confront him. The operator of the bus my grandmother finally did get on (which was the same driver that told her she was on the wrong side of the street) tells me there was no broken down bus anywhere along the route. I guess the lie would have worked if I didn't know the system, but the dispatcher tried to save face by lying to me while the operator getting paid to sit on his bus and not do his job made a 74 year old woman wait out on a street corner for an over an hour. That's abuse if there ever is.

Oh, and here is story #2. A bit shorter though.

S74 bus, the B/O is being nasty with every customer cause he has to stop to pick them up. He's speeding, he's cursing out cars, etc. About 20 minutes before the end of the trip (I was going to the last stop), the bus empties out except for me. He turns around and asks me where I'm going. I tell him Tottenville. He literally gets mad at me and starts cursing and speeding. I presume he wanted to just go to the depot and take an early day off. Three more men get on the bus and he's being so nasty to them and then just puts "Not in Service" on the bus and skips one more customer waiting for the bus.

Okay. There was no ride in this story, but since we're complaining about injustices by MTA employes, I got one:

Last weekend, my father told me assist my grandmother (who lives in Sunnyside, Qns) in getting to my house (in Park Slope, Brlyn) via bus because she, being an elderly woman didn't want to go up the stairs at 46th street on the (7) or Union Street on the (R). Fair enough. I suggest she meets me in Williamsburg by taking the B24, cause it is a big hub and it's more of a middle ground where we could have taken the B62 from there. Okay, my grandmother has never taken the B24 before, as she usually takes the Q60 or the Q32. Initially she is waiting on the wrong side of the street to go towards Greenpoint, and when the driver on the passing bus tells her she's on the wrong side, she promptly crosses the street. (Because of this, she missed the first bus and it was a Sunday so the B24 was running 30 minute headways.) So, the next bus is supposed to come 20 minutes later and I am waiting at Williamsburg Plaza. Of course the bus never shows up to Sunnyside, Queens and I talk to the dispatcher who says the bus was on time to Williamsburg before. Of COURSE, the bus that supposed to pick her up shows up at the EXACT time it was supposed to show up in Williamsburg, leading me to suspect that the bus driver sat on the bus and just drove back. The dispatcher tells me his bus broke down and they had to give him a new bus, but that seemed way too convenient considering he got in right on schedule. The dispatcher would not tell me the bus number of his old bus and he tried to get me to go away so I wouldn't confront the B/O. Which I didn't go away... or confront him. The operator of the bus my grandmother finally did get on (which was the same driver that told her she was on the wrong side of the street) tells me there was no broken down bus anywhere along the route. I guess the lie would have worked if I didn't know the system, but the dispatcher tried to save face by lying to me while the operator getting paid to sit on his bus and not do his job made a 74 year old woman wait out on a street corner for an over an hour. That's abuse if there ever is.

S74 bus, the B/O is being nasty with every customer cause he has to stop to pick them up. He's speeding, he's cursing out cars, etc. About 20 minutes before the end of the trip (I was going to the last stop), the bus empties out except for me. He turns around and asks me where I'm going. I tell him Tottenville. He literally gets mad at me and starts cursing and speeding. I presume he wanted to just go to the depot and take an early day off. Three more men get on the bus and he's being so nasty to them and then just puts "Not in Service" on the bus and skips one more customer waiting for the bus.

You should have gotten the guy's badge # and reported him.

Last weekend, my father told me assist my grandmother (who lives in Sunnyside, Qns) in getting to my house (in Park Slope, Brlyn) via bus because she, being an elderly woman didn't want to go up the stairs at 46th street on the or Union Street on the . Fair enough. I suggest she meets me in Williamsburg by taking the B24, cause it is a big hub and it's more of a middle ground where we could have taken the B62 from there. Okay, my grandmother has never taken the B24 before, as she usually takes the Q60 or the Q32. Initially she is waiting on the wrong side of the street to go towards Greenpoint, and when the driver on the passing bus tells her she's on the wrong side, she promptly crosses the street. (Because of this, she missed the first bus and it was a Sunday so the B24 was running 30 minute headways.) So, the next bus is supposed to come 20 minutes later and I am waiting at Williamsburg Plaza. Of course the bus never shows up to Sunnyside, Queens and I talk to the dispatcher who says the bus was on time to Williamsburg before. Of COURSE, the bus that supposed to pick her up shows up at the EXACT time it was supposed to show up in Williamsburg, leading me to suspect that the bus driver sat on the bus and just drove back. The dispatcher tells me his bus broke down and they had to give him a new bus, but that seemed way too convenient considering he got in right on schedule. The dispatcher would not tell me the bus number of his old bus and he tried to get me to go away so I wouldn't confront the B/O. Which I didn't go away... or confront him. The operator of the bus my grandmother finally did get on (which was the same driver that told her she was on the wrong side of the street) tells me there was no broken down bus anywhere along the route. I guess the lie would have worked if I didn't know the system, but the dispatcher tried to save face by lying to me while the operator getting paid to sit on his bus and not do his job made a 74 year old woman wait out on a street corner for an over an hour. That's abuse if there ever is.

Unless he was running late. But I don't see how having passengers on the bus would affect how late you are running, especially if they need to go to the last stop. Still, the point of the bus is to get passengers where they need to go, and if they want to go all the way to the end of the line, that is their right, as they have paid the fare.

Could you explain the story about the B24 to me? I didn't quite understand it. The driver that was supposed to pick your grandmother up went to Greenpoint, but instead of going back to Williamsburg picking up passengers, he just sat around and then drove back to Williamsburg without picking up passengers. Am I along the right lines?

And I thought I had a good temper, I would've spazzed out in most of these situations.

Luckily I've never gotten into it with a passenger or B/O.

I remember when I was in the 9th Grade this set of Crips from my school were getting high in the back of the bus, from Jewel Ave to Sutphin Blvd the whole bus was just smoked out smelling like weed. The first time this happened the B/O kept going until the last stop which was a dumb @$$ move on his part. The next time he let it rock to Hillside Ave and took it out of service and threatened to call the cops. I had to walk far to the next stop so I wasn't in the best mood.

When I was in JHS this idiot driver announced that he was changing a Q30 (Little Neck Pkwy) to a Q30 (Springfield Blvd) right before we got to Springfield Blvd. It was bad enough I didn't know where I was going, I didn't have to say anything because he got yelled at by so many people while he's sitting there shook and stuck on stupid with nothing to say. They told the next B/O who let everyone on without paying (didn't really have a choice there) and I think the dumb driver got in trouble. I ended up very late.

And I thought I had a good temper, I would've spazzed out in most of these situations.

Luckily I've never gotten into it with a passenger or B/O.

I remember when I was in the 9th Grade this set of Crips from my school were getting high in the back of the bus, from Jewel Ave to Sutphin Blvd the whole bus was just smoked out smelling like weed. The first time this happened the B/O kept going until the last stop which was a dumb @$$ move on his part. The next time he let it rock to Hillside Ave and took it out of service and threatened to call the cops. I had to walk far to the next stop so I wasn't in the best mood.

When I was in JHS this idiot driver announced that he was changing a Q30 (Little Neck Pkwy) to a Q30 (Springfield Blvd) right before we got to Springfield Blvd. It was bad enough I didn't know where I was going, I didn't have to say anything because he got yelled at by so many people while he's sitting there shook and stuck on stupid with nothing to say. They told the next B/O who let everyone on without paying (didn't really have a choice there) and I think the dumb driver got in trouble. I ended up very late.

So basically, the second driver short turned the bus without putting it on the sign.

If the MTA needed him to short turn the bus (maybe he was scheduled to do another run and was running late) and he kept on going, he probably could've gotten in trouble as well.

I wonder how you can put the wrong destination sign up on the bus and not realize it until you are almost at the destination, though.

You should have gotten the guy's badge # and reported him.

I do have their bus #'s, date and times and I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Unless he was running late. But I don't see how having passengers on the bus would affect how late you are running, especially if they need to go to the last stop. Still, the point of the bus is to get passengers where they need to go, and if they want to go all the way to the end of the line, that is their right, as they have paid the fare.

Could you explain the story about the B24 to me? I didn't quite understand it. The driver that was supposed to pick your grandmother up went to Greenpoint, but instead of going back to Williamsburg picking up passengers, he just sat around and then drove back to Williamsburg without picking up passengers. Am I along the right lines?

From my observations, it appears he left Williamsburg on time (b/c the dispatcher told me he was on time the whole day) and instead going all the way to Greenpoint, probably went a few blocks from the plaza, sat there, and went back to Williamsburg so he didn't appear late, without going through the whole route, hence he didn't pick her up on his return trip from Greenpoint to Williamsburg. The dispatcher was just trying to save face by lying to me without knowing that I know the system, and I am thinking about reporting him, too. The driver my grandmother ended up having said he never saw a broken down bus or a bus pass him.

So basically, the second driver short turned the bus without putting it on the sign.

If the MTA needed him to short turn the bus (maybe he was scheduled to do another run and was running late) and he kept on going, he probably could've gotten in trouble as well.

I wonder how you can put the wrong destination sign up on the bus and not realize it until you are almost at the destination, though.

You know what that could be true but he could've said that, he said "I decided to change this to a Springfield Blvd bus" which sort of implied that it was his idea. Either way that's still pretty messed up since the bus had like 15 people on it (most people get off at Springfield). He said it like 1.5 blocks from Springfield Blvd, that could probably count as false advertisement.

Lol why do I remember everything so vividly.

here's a story....

LGA or CP bus?

The first situation has happened to me before. I was running to the E 219th Street stop on the Bx41. When I boarded the bus, I asked the bus driver if I can go on and take out my MetroCard. The bus driver said rudely, "Well you don't have a ride". I had to get off the bus, and wait for the next bus, which came a frustrating 30 minutes later. I was so pissed off...

Drivers aren't allow to kick you off when you don't have the money to pay for your ride...

I rode an express bus (X29) going to Brooklyn, and a female passenger boarded at 42nd Street. She requested to leave the bus at Worth Street. The bus operator warned her not to take express buses if she was to stay at one borough, (in this case Manhattan). I am assuming (except the X25 and X90) that once you board an express bus in one borough, you must go to another borough before exiting. I know bus operators who consistently remind passengers of this. especially those express bus operators from Staten Island.

Archived