Should the BallPark Station become a "Hall of Fame" for the SI Yankees?

FamousNYLover

I know I not much of sport fan, and I was wondering what will happened to Ballpark Station when first Staten Island Yankees game begin on June 18th.

For all intents and purposes, Ballpark station has been permanently closed and will be considered an abandoned station unless a last-minute reprieve restores service there.

Honestly, I didn't see a point in building the station in the first place. The MTA says that by closing the station, 70 riders would have the trip increase by an average of 2 minutes. The expense of building the station, electrifying the track, and running the service didn't justify the benefit. The station is a few blocks from St George.

Again, another waste of money. They had to build an ADA accessable station 3 blocks away from St George to serve 70 riders on game days only, just to close it down 9 years later.

The law says that if you build a new station or upgrade an existing one, it must be ADA compliant. If you don't like it or you think it's a waste, write a letter to you Congress person.

What I was saying is why did they bother building it in the first place. I agree with the ADA accessable station law but I don't see why they would build a whole new part-time station three blocks away from a perfectly functional ADA accessable full-time station.

Because they are dumb.:P:eek::tdown:

What I was saying is why did they bother building it in the first place. I agree with the ADA accessable station law but I don't see why they would build a whole new part-time station three blocks away from a perfectly functional ADA accessable full-time station.

The idea was t have direct service to the ball park. I don't follow baseball that much, but I don't think the SI Yankees took off like people thought they would.

• 4 weeks later...

The Ballpark station isn't a complete waste. It's actually about a 5-10 minute walk to the ballpark along Richmond Terrace and that isn't fun during inclement weather especially since your close to the water.

The real reason though is that it's part of the North Shore Line, which the MTA just had an open house presentation for last month (meaning it's not that far off). And currently they're most interested in the North Shore Line being built as a light rail line so the Ballpark station would have to be closed at some point anyway for conversion.

The Ballpark station isn't a complete waste. It's actually about a 5-10 minute walk to the ballpark along Richmond Terrace and that isn't fun during inclement weather especially since your close to the water.

The real reason though is that it's part of the North Shore Line, which the MTA just had an open house presentation for last month (meaning it's not that far off). And currently they're most interested in the North Shore Line being built as a light rail line so the Ballpark station would have to be closed at some point anyway for conversion.

They had heavy-rail, light-rail, and BRT on the table at the hearing and so far, they said that they haven't definitely picked one of the three.

However, it did if the people at the open house were interested in LRT, since the stationsseem as would be closer, and it would be easier to extend it, since it could go on the street. The MTA would still have to conduct the study to see which is the most feasable.

• 2 months later...

Archived