EMD DE30AC at Penn

TheKorean

I take LIRR often, mostly by Atlantic Terminal, but on occasions I do take ones from Penn.

Now I never knew that the diesel engines occasionally served Penn Station. Because when I take them they usually terminate at Jamaica or Long Island City. How often is this and to where? Oyster Bay? Port Jefferson?

I take LIRR often, mostly by Atlantic Terminal, but on occasions I do take ones from Penn.

Now I never knew that the diesel engines occasionally served Penn Station. Because when I take them they usually terminate at Jamaica or Long Island City. How often is this and to where? Oyster Bay? Port Jefferson?

I've personally seen a diesel run from Penn Station to the Pt. Jefferson branch. It was in dual mode.

Looking at the PJ timetable I see two peak AM runs that operate directly into NYP: train 605 which departs PJ at 5:44a and arrives in NYP at 7:20a. I also see train 615 which leaves at 7:35a and arrives at 9:23a.

There could be more, these are the two that stuck out to me.

During the AM rush, there are 2 Port Jeff, 2 Speonk, and 1 Oyster Bay DM run to Penn. During the PM rush, there are 2 to Port Jeff and 1 to Speonk and Oyster Bay. Most other DE/DM runs terminate or originate in LIC or Hunterspoint Ave, with a few at in Jamaica or Babylon. On major holidays or special events, there is usually a roundtrip DM run on the port Jeff and occasionaly Speonk too.

Archived