NYCT/MTA Bus cuts 2010-How are you impacted?

Shortline Bus

Excuse me but I'm a newbie here. I live in SoHo and use the M6 bus. I know it was almost axed last year and appears to be near death this time around. What's this about combining it with the M5? Does that mean it will still travel it's regular uptown route or not? Thanks.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the boards dac10012.

The M6 will be eliminated like last year. However, the M5 will be extended to South Ferry to cover all of the bus stops south of Houston Street.

As far as service to Midtown is concerned, northbound, you will still get the same service up 6th Avenue. Southbound, instead of waiting for a bus on Broadway (now I think the M6 goes down 7th Avenue), you will have to wait for the M5 on 5th Avenue, but you will still get dropped off on Broadway.

Going to South Ferry, service will basically remain the same. The only difference would be that instead of waiting for the M6 to Lower Manhattan, you will have to wait for the M5 to Lower Manhattan. The stops south of 14th Street remain virtually unaffected, as the M5 will serve all former M6 stops.

According to the MTA, the M5 will be discontinued on Houston Street, so if you live near Houston Street, you will have to walk or take the M21 to 6th Avenue for northbound M5 service.

Hope this helps. B)

Also i feel the mereging of the M6 and M5 is maybe the worst decision by the MTA among all of the cuts/service changes.

That move is so stupid. And them making the M1 end at 8th St full time is stupid too. It should go to S. Ferry full time.

B12 not going pass Alabama Ave. im gonna have to transfer to the Q56 bus or the (J) train when i go to/from Cypress Hills.

The (M2) train when i go from DeKalb Av to 9 Ave. im gonna have to transfer from the (B)(Q)(R) to the (D) at Pacific St-Atlantic Av.

I'm affected by this because I live in Co-Op City and they are going to **** the neighborhood up changing the buses around. The Bx26 and the Bx28 won't go to my house anymore. It'll go straight to Section 5 which sucks cause I won't have another alternative to the (2)(D) or (4) trains. They are going to create the Bx38 that will go to Sections 1-4 but with that being created, my question is what line is going to be 24 hrs and will the Bx28 or Bx38 go to all the sections at night? That hasn't been made clear to me and its more reason why I hate these cuts. They're bullshit, plain and simple.

im still trying to figure out if the (N) train is still going to operate via the (R) line late at night or is it going to be rerouted on the Manhattan Bridge? (it doesnt say anything about it on the final MTA proposal sheet.)

I think it's going via Witehall.

im still trying to figure out if the (N) train is still going to operate via the (R) line late at night or is it going to be rerouted on the Manhattan Bridge? (it doesnt say anything about it on the final MTA proposal sheet.)

Luis this topic is about the bus cuts and how are you affected. Please chat about the subway cuts in the subway thread. Thanks:confused:

I'm affected by this because I live in Co-Op City and they are going to **** the neighborhood up changing the buses around. The Bx26 and the Bx28 won't go to my house anymore. It'll go straight to Section 5 which sucks cause I won't have another alternative to the (2)(D) or (4) trains. They are going to create the Bx38 that will go to Sections 1-4 but with that being created, my question is what line is going to be 24 hrs and will the Bx28 or Bx38 go to all the sections at night? That hasn't been made clear to me and its more reason why I hate these cuts. They're bullshit, plain and simple.

The other question you should ask about the Bx28 and Bx38 is which one is running to Norwood and which is going to Fordham?

I would have the Bx28 (via sec 5) going to Fordham and the Bx38 cut back to Norwood.

The other question you should ask about the Bx28 and Bx38 is which one is running to Norwood and which is going to Fordham?

I would have the Bx28 (via sec 5) going to Fordham and the Bx38 cut back to Norwood.

Did you not Cotb propose a rush hour only BX28 service along Gun Hill in earlier chat on the planned cuts/service adjustments?

Correction. Weekends the M1 will end at 106th St/5th Ave and overnight service is gone in this plan.

Still ridiculous. The M1 is used, more crowded than the M3 it seems when I ride it and for this to happen is just criminal.

It's a mess and I hope it isn't going to be like that even though I can see what you are saying happening. More useless transferring and making getting around in the Bronx more chaotic than it needs to be.

Still ridiculous. The M1 is used, more crowded than the M3 it seems when I ride it and for this to happen is just criminal.

Agreed. It should imo have been the M3 that was shortned on weekends since it's travels very close to both the M2 and M4 almost the entire route between 168th and 34th St.(where M4 goes to Penn) or 8th Street. And why 106th for a terminal? At least run it Princelex imo as i said earlier to around 86th St for access to Mt Sinani Hosptial and parts of Muesum Mile.

While it's sad, only if needed the M1 only reduction in service should have been overnights between 1-5am. :P

Did you not Cotb propose a rush hour only BX28 service along Gun Hill in earlier chat on the planned cuts/service adjustments?

That was if the Bx28 would have LTD service. But with this Bx28/38 split, I would have the idea that I proposed just now.

That was if the Bx28 would have LTD service. But with this Bx28/38 split, I would have the idea that I proposed just now.

yup that what i mean LOL. Also cotb does any of the cuts you think is unfair or you impacted by?

On the bronx bus cuts/adjustments as I dont know COOP City/NE Bronx that well so i pass in commenting for now on those changes.

1)The BX55 being reduced to a weekday only route. First i think the (MTA) should just merge the BX55/15 and call it the BX55. Second i would run 'limited stop' service between Fordham and 149th/3rd aka 'The Hub' (2)

(5) stations 7 days a week weekdays as same current BX55 Limited hours appx. 530am-Midnight Saturdays 7am-11pm and Sundays 10am-8pm.

"Short trip" BX55's would start/end at 149th/3rd as a 3rd Ave Local.

I know Lenin aka Cotb suggested the BX55(BX15) end at the 125th/Lex station. I think a compromise could running it to 12 Ave/125th Weekdays 6am-Midnight and weekends/overnights end at it Lex/125th (4)(6) station.

Negative is you would need to run the M35 all night which may make cost savings for the (MTA) close to none.

2) The BX41 IMO should have been split into '2' routes with the main route running between 138th St in Mott Haven and Gun Hill Road/WP Road (2) station & the other BX41 running between 241st Wakefield and Fordham Rd area via WP Road and Northern Part of Webster Ave. That makes more sense than the (MTA) current plan to extend BX39 up to 241st/Wakefield and short the BX41 Northern terminal at Gun Hill/WP Road.

3)I also disagree with the (MTA) keeping the BX20. I think the (MTA) should just ended the BX20 and created a BX7a running along the current BX20 route on alternative trips weekdays 6am-Midnight.

4)On other hand I do agree with the (MTA) on the following bronx express bus changes.

4a)Mergering the BXM7a(Pelham Bay/Bruckner-Midtown line) and the BX7b(City Island-Midtown) lines.

4b)Ending the BXM4b bedford park branch when the BXM4a(Woodlawn/Norwood)and the BXM3 are very close alternatives.

Reactions?:confused:

Even though it was saved I rarely took the bus to Jones Beach because of the severe crowding. With less service, its gonna really be a disaster so I wont even attempt it. I feel bad for those who have to work there, as they will have no choice but to deal with the disasterous crowding conditions that will result. Too bad they cant use some artics for the N88.

I'm just glad they left the routes I take the most (N22,N35,N27,N20) alone. As I've said before I'm baffled at how service is reduced on busy Jones Beach routes while routes like the N73 are spared. Even the 94 (which will be cut) carries more than the N73.

The whole LI Bus system reaks of patronage. As I've said before, many routes need more frequent service and routes that carry light (N73/74, N50, N80/81) need to have service reduced.

The B4 should be rerouted via Avenue Z from Ocean Parkway to East 14 Street at all times. Rush hours, it should run to Knapp Street. All other times, it should terminate at the current eastbound B36 stop near Sheepshead Bay (:((Q).

B4B36B49intersectionareaimage.jpg

I don't know about the time periods, but actually that route does make some sense. I originally stated that I didn't see any advantage of an E15th St terminus over a CIA terminal, because I don't see many subway transfers. But now that I think of it you would have the B49 transfer which does mean something, but more important it would eliminate the need the use the Belt Parkway Service Road at all times. I originally thought it would just use Avenue Z in both directions when going to Knapp Street, but that is not the case. I bet E 15th Street doesn't even add mileage because you would save the westbound dip to the Service Road since it wouldn't be necessary any more.

Under the proposal southbound M98 will no longer stop at George Washington Bridge Bus Station, which will confuse (NJT) riders that come to ride M98.

M1 Weekend (S) to 106th St will be bad idea because we have to use M2, M3 or M4. I not sure if M2 will stay LTD or local.

X90: I used to use long time ago when it was running Orion V w/ MCI Coach seating and it was heavily used during rush hour.

Well for me, my M9 is being switched from Battery Park to City Hall and from Union Square to 23rd and 1st Avenue, it was my alternative to the M15 which gets crowded to South Ferry and my alternative to the M14A when Avenue A gets clogged with traffic, but sometimes Avenue B is worse. I do like the M15 to South Ferry all times though, its just going to get extra crowded.

The B39 being slashed along with the B51 for me is not really much of an issue but there's going to be a lot of outrage over those cuts.

The M6 was also an alternative for me if I didnt want to take the subway, I'd get off at Grand Street & Broadway and walk on home from there. With the M5 replacing it as a limited, there better be a depot split between MJQ and Manhattanville along with a more flexible schedule with that M5, because wait times along that route can be horrendous, you'd see more M2-3-4s than M5s.

Well for me, my M9 is being switched from Battery Park to City Hall and from Union Square to 23rd and 1st Avenue, it was my alternative to the M15 which gets crowded to South Ferry and my alternative to the M14A when Avenue A gets clogged with traffic, but sometimes Avenue B is worse. I do like the M15 to South Ferry all times though, its just going to get extra crowded.

The B39 being slashed along with the B51 for me is not really much of an issue but there's going to be a lot of outrage over those cuts.

The M6 was also an alternative for me if I didnt want to take the subway, I'd get off at Grand Street & Broadway and walk on home from there. With the M5 replacing it as a limited, there better be a depot split between MJQ and Manhattanville along with a more flexible schedule with that M5, because wait times along that route can be horrendous, you'd see more M2-3-4s than M5s.

Again if the Essex (J)(F) and soon (M) was ada/wheelchair acessible then the B39 cut is fair. Since it not that why the B39 should be changed to running 530am-1230am weekdays and 7am-11pm weekends imo.

The M15 even with SBS coming soon, should still have all 'locals' run between Houston and 125th weekdays 7am-11pm and weekends 8am-10pm similar to the BX12 SBS hours.

Again if the Essex (J)(F) and soon (M) was ada/wheelchair acessible then the B39 cut is fair. Since it not that why the B39 should be changed to running 530am-1230am weekdays and 7am-11pm weekends imo.

The M15 even with SBS coming soon, should still have all 'locals' run between Houston and 125th weekdays 7am-11pm and weekends 8am-10pm similar to the BX12 SBS hours.

I dont think ADA access is possible with the way that station is built.

I dont think ADA access is possible with the way that station is built.

And that why my friend (Cait Sith) the B39 should stay running as the Willy B shuttle bus. I do agree with the (MTA) on ending overnight b39 service, but there more than enough riders to run the B39 7 days a week even with the nearby (J) (M2) lines.

I have to find alternate trips because they are cutting the B48 at Fulton street.And the B57 will be unreliable unless they put more buses out on that route since they're extending the route down Smith/Court Sts.

Archived