NYCT/MTA Bus cuts 2010-How are you impacted?

Shortline Bus

I have to find alternate trips because they are cutting the B48 at Fulton street.And the B57 will be unreliable unless they put more buses out on that route since they're extending the route down Smith/Court Sts.

welcome aboard. Can't you use either the B49 or Franklin (S) as your 'new' alternatives.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to find alternate trips because they are cutting the B48 at Fulton street.And the B57 will be unreliable unless they put more buses out on that route since they're extending the route down Smith/Court Sts.

B48 south of fulton as you may depict, are often loaded w/ schoolkids... still though, there are enough ppl. that utilize the route b/w the subway station (prospect park) & fulton st... I find that (waiting @ Flatbush/Empire), the B48 is the first bus to arrive & pull out (over the B43)... either of those statements may have nothin to do w/ anything, but both of those routes IMO are experiencing a sudden ridership increase... What truncating B48's @ fulton st is really suppose to accomplish, I haven't the faintest idea...

sad part is, I don't think the mta does either...

far as the B57 goes...

(despite the fact I can't figure out where they plan on having b/o's layover around smith/9th st)

....adding buses isn't the answer b/c that route don't have the ridership to support it... the idea is to get empty buses off the road... buses will end up bunching, with barely anyone on either the bunched buses.... the mta opting to kill off the 75 to extend the 57, doesn't necessarily mean that (old) 75 riders will be willing to take the (altered) 57 - especially once they realize how unreliable that service will be, if they actually go on to implement that extension of the 57....

^^ ....and yet another benefit of extending the (G) to Church av

welcome aboard. Can't you use either the B49 or Franklin (S) as your 'new' alternatives.

they could be, but I'll walk a few blocks to my destination at Classon Ave. and Lincoln Rd. after I take the B49 or the (S){Franklin}.

B48 south of fulton as you may depict, are often loaded w/ schoolkids... still though, there are enough ppl. that utilize the route b/w the subway station (prospect park) & fulton st... I find that (waiting @ Flatbush/Empire), the B48 is the first bus to arrive & pull out (over the B43)... either of those statements may have nothin to do w/ anything, but both of those routes IMO are experiencing a sudden ridership increase... What truncating B48's @ fulton st is really suppose to accomplish, I haven't the faintest idea...

sad part is, I don't think the mta does either...

far as the B57 goes...

(despite the fact I can't figure out where they plan on having b/o's layover around smith/9th st)

....adding buses isn't the answer b/c that route don't have the ridership to support it... the idea is to get empty buses off the road... buses will end up bunching, with barely anyone on either the bunched buses.... the mta opting to kill off the 75 to extend the 57, doesn't necessarily mean that (old) 75 riders will be willing to take the (altered) 57 - especially once they realize how unreliable that service will be, if they actually go on to implement that extension of the 57....

^^ ....and yet another benefit of extending the (G) to Church av

B35 via Church a question? Would it now had been better and more logical(something the (MTA) lacks very often lol)to just maybe have alternative B48's go down to the Prospect Park (Empire/Flatbush (:o(Q) station)area say weekdays 6am-11pm and weekends 6am-8pm as a compromise? With 'short trip's and all late evening/overnight B48's ending at the Fulton/Franklin (A)(C)(S) station imo.

At least this B48 shorting is an improvement imo(I dont agree with the MTA on this though) than the oringal plan in last year's doomsday cuts of ending all weekend/overnight B48 service.

I heard from friends who live in that area B48 ridership is 'growing' especially from the fairly new residents moving to Lefferts Gardens/Crown Heights/Bed Stuvy neighborhoods from 'gentrification" in last 10 years or so that on or near Franklin/Classon as well who travel to Williamsburg and Greenpoint daily.

While i agree it's a bad cut at least B51 riders especially ADA/Seniors Riders can use the City Hall/Brooklyn Bridge (4)(5)(6) or the Borough Hall (4)(5) stations which both have elevators. Though it's does not always work.

A bigger outrage IMO is the B39 being totally canned. The Essex (J)(M)(F) station unless things changed is still not ADA accessible or have an elevator.

Not to mention the B39 gets SRO during rush hours and even sometime other times 7 days a week. The (MTA) should have kept the B39 especially since the "Willy B' is reguarly closed to (J) service under weekend 'go's.

At worst only late night B39 service should be cut.

The B39 discontinuing may result in an ADA suit in the Southern District of New York; there is an ADA way between Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn (albeit requiring some backtracking), but not between Williamsburg and the Lower East Side.

That may be the thinking; that three of the four stops of the Franklin Avenue Shuttle are ADA compliant.

The B39 discontinuing may result in an ADA suit in the Southern District of New York; there is an ADA way between Lower Manhattan and Downtown Brooklyn (albeit requiring some backtracking), but not between Williamsburg and the Lower East Side.

That may be the thinking; that three of the four stops of the Franklin Avenue Shuttle are ADA compliant.

That why the (MTA) may lose tens of millions in a possible lawsuit by the ADA community on cutting routes like the B39 that costs at most a little over $1 Million a year to run. On the other hand i believe B51 riders do have ADA stations such as Court-Boro Hall (2)(3)(4)(5) and Brooklyn Bridge-Chambers (4)(5)(6) and Canal (6)(N)(Q)(R)(J) as well. Still the B51 could have still ran as a Rush Hour route imo while the B39 could ran something like weekdays 530am-Midnight and 7am-11pm Saturdays-Sundays.

Regarding the Brooklyn overnight bus cuts in Bed-Stuy. It would appear that the (MTA), in it's infinite wisdom, has ceded a significant portion of it's transit franchise to gypsy cabs and dollar vans. Even if the economy picks up I would guess that a large portion of that potential ridership will never return to rapid transit if the alternative means provide any type of reliable, economical,and safe transportation. There are many workers in that area traveling to/from work in the off-hours who use private vehicles now, hence the low ridership numbers, because of the already limited service on the B45,B48, and B65 routes. The IND Fulton (A) and the IRT (4) lines only border this area so, despite the (MTA)'s claims, this area will be orphaned in the long run. Just my 2 cents so correct me if I've missed something.

The (MTA) seems to just go by the map...

B4=close to B1=cut.

The (MTA) dropped the ball on this imo as it seems like they went totally only on metrocard aka farebox data and not also do some research ie sending a suit down to the areas that the cuts are planned what an idea lol! :eek:

Also politics is also a huge part of this and neighborhoods with strong City Council/Albany reps being spared more as well im.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made plenty of arithmetic mistakes in their calculations. When they eliominated the B18 and extended the B13, a number of years back, I spent a lot of time looking at their numbers. I found one table where a customer was considered to have taken a round trip, and in another table, a customer made a one-way trip.

I bring this up because their B4 data looks suspicious. In the first report they state that shortening the route will inconvenience 2100 weekday riders and 2300 weekend riders. In their revised report, they state that restoring weekday trips will cost them $800,000 and 600 will still be inconvenienced. That means that 500 daily riders will no longer be inconvenienced. I don't think that it would cost more than about $400,000 to restore weekend service. So if 2300 weekend riders (over 4X the weekday number) would be helped at half the cost, why restore weekday service and not weekend service instead? Where is their cost/benefit?

Apparently, someone feels that the weekday trips are necessary and the weekend ones are discretionary. If so it has to be a guess and not based on data, since traffic counts don't tell you why people ride and all they have are traffic counts and farebox data.

Also, to me 500 seems like a low number to me. It would be more logical that 1600 people and not 500 people would be helped by partial weekday restoration of service. I wouldn't be surprised if someone inadvertantly reversed the numbers, by mistake. If ths is so, then every one of the cuts is suspect.

2) The BX41 IMO should have been split into '2' routes with the main route running between 138th St in Mott Haven and Gun Hill Road/WP Road (2) station & the other BX41 running between 241st Wakefield and Fordham Rd area via WP Road and Northern Part of Webster Ave. That makes more sense than the (MTA) current plan to extend BX39 up to 241st/Wakefield and short the BX41 Northern terminal at Gun Hill/WP Road.

:

My Bx41:cry:! I never saw this coming. This means no more bus fanning the Bx41 from Wakefield to The Hub. I agree with you that there should still be a Bx41 going to Fordham Rd. Instead I think there should be a Bx41 starting from Mott Haven and terminating at Fordham because most of the straphangers get off at that stop then the other half of the route would continue the normal route.

There are going to be a lot of people at that Gun Hill Rd bus stop. The countdown will be on until the end of bus service on White Plains Rd under the el.

yup that what i mean LOL. Also cotb does any of the cuts you think is unfair or you impacted by?

On the bronx bus cuts/adjustments as I dont know COOP City/NE Bronx that well so i pass in commenting for now on those changes.

1)The BX55 being reduced to a weekday only route. First i think the (MTA) should just merge the BX55/15 and call it the BX55. Second i would run 'limited stop' service between Fordham and 149th/3rd aka 'The Hub' (2)

(5) stations 7 days a week weekdays as same current BX55 Limited hours appx. 530am-Midnight Saturdays 7am-11pm and Sundays 10am-8pm.

"Short trip" BX55's would start/end at 149th/3rd as a 3rd Ave Local.

I know Lenin aka Cotb suggested the BX55(BX15) end at the 125th/Lex station. I think a compromise could running it to 12 Ave/125th Weekdays 6am-Midnight and weekends/overnights end at it Lex/125th (4)(6) station.

Negative is you would need to run the M35 all night which may make cost savings for the (MTA) close to none.

2) The BX41 IMO should have been split into '2' routes with the main route running between 138th St in Mott Haven and Gun Hill Road/WP Road (2) station & the other BX41 running between 241st Wakefield and Fordham Rd area via WP Road and Northern Part of Webster Ave. That makes more sense than the (MTA) current plan to extend BX39 up to 241st/Wakefield and short the BX41 Northern terminal at Gun Hill/WP Road.

3)I also disagree with the (MTA) keeping the BX20. I think the (MTA) should just ended the BX20 and created a BX7a running along the current BX20 route on alternative trips weekdays 6am-Midnight.

4)On other hand I do agree with the (MTA) on the following bronx express bus changes.

4a)Mergering the BXM7a(Pelham Bay/Bruckner-Midtown line) and the BX7b(City Island-Midtown) lines.

4b)Ending the BXM4b bedford park branch when the BXM4a(Woodlawn/Norwood)and the BXM3 are very close alternatives.

Reactions?:confused:

1) How would running the Bx15 cause the M35 to run all times? Would it be extended to 12th Avenue. Then, yes, that doesn't save any money.

2) It would be too costly, since there would be too much overlap (in the MTA's opinion) between Gun Hill Road and Fordham Road. This could be a plan to eliminate bus service entirely on WPR under the (2) train, since the Bx39 would parallel the (2) from 241st Street to Pelham Parkway.

3) Isn't that the same as keeping the Bx20?

• 2 weeks later...

im going to have trouble getting home from work, since the B-37 is getting cut and the B-75 is getting replaced. i'll have to take those dreaded steps at 4th ave and 9th street to get to the F train. they really need an escalator or elevator there. i had to help a woman who was having an asthma attack after climbing those steps. this is crazy.(V)

im going to have trouble getting home from work, since the B-37 is getting cut and the B-75 is getting replaced. i'll have to take those dreaded steps at 4th ave and 9th street to get to the F train. they really need an escalator or elevator there. i had to help a woman who was having an asthma attack after climbing those steps. this is crazy.(V)

Welcome aboard Vera. :tup::cool: The lack of ADA stations in SW Brooklyn particarly along the Culver/Mcdonald Ave (F)(G) and 4th Ave/Bay Ride (R) lines is why the (MTA) is doing a bad job in the service cuts that set to start in June barring a 'last minute miracle bailout' imo.

The B37 gets more ridership than a few lines that are 'untouched' by the cuts and yet the B37 is getting canned. At the very least the B37 should have ran at least weekdays all day until 11pm. Some riders particuarly seniors/the disabled and some woman who don't like or can not use the subway use the B37 as an alternative to the slow and unreible nearby B63.

Regarding the B61/77 i actually applaud the (MTA) on that idea as I feel it's one of the very handful of service cuts in the whole NYC Bus system i agree 100% with. The B75 extension to Smith/9th station to replace part of the B57 however is one of their most stupid plans on this so called doomsday cuts.

The ideal solution IMO would have been to merge the B51 and part of the B7 and run it between the Red hook Ikea store and City Hall(weekdays)and Tillary(weekends) in that situation. While the B61/77 merge serves the 9th St/Prospect Park west coordiors.

I feel bad for Red Hood and Western Park Slope residents as the Smith/9th station will soon close for i think a 9-month renovation starting early next year in 2011.

As a whole Brooklyn got the raw deal with the most cuts more than any other boro. As such the (MTA) could have done a better job imo in service adjustments and mergers if the cuts are really needed.:tdown::mad:

Since I'll most likely be walking more than taking the subway next year, it won't do much for me. But say if I would be commuting like now, it would help me:

-that I get an easier bus ride: M9 goes to City Hall. When I do my M9 stints, I get off at Frankfort Street and then walk all the way to Brooklyn Br for the (4).

My Bx41:cry:! I never saw this coming. This means no more bus fanning the Bx41 from Wakefield to The Hub. I agree with you that there should still be a Bx41 going to Fordham Rd. Instead I think there should be a Bx41 starting from Mott Haven and terminating at Fordham because most of the straphangers get off at that stop then the other half of the route would continue the normal route.

There are going to be a lot of people at that Gun Hill Rd bus stop. The countdown will be on until the end of bus service on White Plains Rd under the el.

IAWTP!!! Me and you are on the same boat!! Now I have to take the Bx39 to the Bx41 to the (D) to the (C) just to get to school. I think I am going to need two Student Metrocard's just to get back and forth to school. I think it isn't fair how they are cutting routes randomly, instead of looking at low usage routes and taking close by routes and combining them. They are inconveniencing many people who use these routes, while they are on their Bentleys and Beamers. SMFH.......:mad:

IAWTP!!! Me and you are on the same boat!! Now I have to take the Bx39 to the Bx41 to the (D) to the (C) just to get to school. I think I am going to need two Student Metrocard's just to get back and forth to school. I think it isn't fair how they are cutting routes randomly, instead of looking at low usage routes and taking close by routes and combining them. They are inconveniencing many people who use these routes, while they are on their Bentleys and Beamers. SMFH.......:mad:

How about the (2) to the (1)?

Assuming they still have them around, they have special 4-trip MetroCards for people with long commutes.

Were you the one who had the school at 50th Street on the West Side? If so, you could take the (2) to 72nd Street for the (1) to 50th Street or take the <5> to 59th Street for the (6) to 51st Street for the M50 across to the West Side.

• 4 weeks later...

First of all, the M6 goes downtown on Bway, not 7th Av. So there will still be an uptown bus on 6th Av? Will it be the M5 which only goes uptown starting on Houston St? What about the rest of 6th Av south of Houston? Or even worse, will it be the M7, which starts its uptown route on 6th Av at W14 St? Unfortunately, neither will get me home from my job at Church and Worth Sts. Speaking of the M5, the thing I liked about it vs. the M1 and the M6, going downtown on Bway, was that the M5 made a right on Houston and terminated at W. Bway (AKA LaGuardia Pl.) near me. From what you're saying, the M5 will no longer travel this route, but will go straight down Bway and terminate at South Ferry like the M1 and the soon to be extinct M6. If this is correct, then why have an M5 at all?

First of all, the M6 goes downtown on Bway, not 7th Av. So there will still be an uptown bus on 6th Av? Will it be the M5 which only goes uptown starting on Houston St? What about the rest of 6th Av south of Houston? Or even worse, will it be the M7, which starts its uptown route on 6th Av at W14 St? Unfortunately, neither will get me home from my job at Church and Worth Sts. Speaking of the M5, the thing I liked about it vs. the M1 and the M6, going downtown on Bway, was that the M5 made a right on Houston and terminated at W. Bway (AKA LaGuardia Pl.) near me. From what you're saying, the M5 will no longer travel this route, but will go straight down Bway and terminate at South Ferry like the M1 and the soon to be extinct M6. If this is correct, then why have an M5 at all?

First of all, the M6 goes down 7th Avenue, turns onto 23rd street, then turns onto Park Avenue then goes down to Broadway, 2nd, the M5 will still run along 6th Avenue, following what used to be the M6 route in Lower Manhattan.

The M3 will be extended and terminate where the M5 currently is.

The M1 will no longer be making trips to South Ferry so the M5 will be replacing both routes. I believe the M5 & M7 will be running along 6th Avenue.

Archived