NYCT/MTA Bus cuts 2010-How are you impacted?

Shortline Bus

Well, here is my observation with the revisions around my area

M5 To South Ferry - Most of us thought that there would be a lot of delays on this line, I for one can tell you that the buses were on point. Delays were kept to a minimum and bunching was also kept at a minimum. Buses came quick with little to no delays. I am rather surprised.

M9 to City Hall/23rd Street - I was against the southern portion of this line because of it getting cut from the Whitehall Street area, but after riding it and such, this route makes a great connection over to the PATH (get off at City Hall & walk over to WTC). The M15 wouldnt run to City Hall on Sundays so this was a relief. With the M9 to City Hall, M15 service has increased significantly and is actually meeting up with the demands, also has a new short turn at Pike & Division Streets.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad they didn't axe my N25 or 35. Both routes don't see much until after the 5:00 mark.

I know the N1-N6 were old Bee-Line routes before '73, but I didn't know that during peak service they went to Jamaica. The N2 no longer doing so will choke the N6. These are unique buses, as the N4 stops at Jamaica Center, which is around the block from the 165th Street terminal (but still quite a walk away).

The N6 is absolutely godawful in terms of space - you have to cut people at Hempstead for a seat if you find that lucky operator willing to drive that 10 mile route into Queens, across a treachorous state route. Most B/Os coming from Queens wil simply drop everyone off at Hempstead, then back their ass out the bay. It'll only get more crowded the closer it gets to Belmont. Apparently, most people get off before then, but the only other routes going there (N22/A, N24) don't come within miles of VS.

Three buses STOPPED at Valley Stream's LIRR station, and all went to Jamaica in the afternoon, but one was eliminated (the N3) and the other doesn't go there anymore at all (the N1). Only the N2 does, and when I ride my bike by the N2 stops, they never come, and when they do, there are at best 4 people on the bus, including the operator. These will only make it worse for people around here that need a quicker route to Queens.

I didn't care much for the N3 as no one rode it.

Well, here is my observation with the revisions around my area

M5 To South Ferry - Most of us thought that there would be a lot of delays on this line, I for one can tell you that the buses were on point. Delays were kept to a minimum and bunching was also kept at a minimum. Buses came quick with little to no delays. I am rather surprised.

M9 to City Hall/23rd Street - I was against the southern portion of this line because of it getting cut from the Whitehall Street area, but after riding it and such, this route makes a great connection over to the PATH (get off at City Hall & walk over to WTC). The M15 wouldnt run to City Hall on Sundays so this was a relief. With the M9 to City Hall, M15 service has increased significantly and is actually meeting up with the demands, also has a new short turn at Pike & Division Streets.

Cait Sith i would wait till next week for real test for the new M5. As honestly this past week (6/28-7/2/10)was like a semi holiday w/ alot of people home from work and schools closed for summer vaction. Ridership is along the line in the few days between Christmas Day and New Years when schools are shut and workers off for the holiday as well and traffic lighter.

I cant get to the movies without the B4 unless I take the B36 to the B44 :(. The stops for the B4 don't make sense either, they labeled a lot of them wrong, and covered a few up with service announcements, it looks sloppy.

B1 to 4th ave made my life easier actually, but now there are large crowds on Bay Ridge where the old B64 used to stop, and people constantly arguing about the new B1. The bus drivers also spend way more time idling then the B64 drivers do, they also go out of service A LOT and drive away. One driver was like "Why didn't you get on the one that just passed!?"...but it went out of service :confused:. Plus the driver always has to explain where the bus is going, it just wastes time.

There is no schedule or map for the B1, it still says the B64 and bus drivers often still use the signage "B1 via 13 Ave", AND they mislabeled a bus stop, across the street where the SI buses stop and the B16, they put a stop for the B64...and it never even traveled there prior to all the cuts.

Stupid B4 : [

I know what you're talking about. Yesterday when I was waiting for New!B1 [that's how they write it on the internet B)] a 'Not in service' bus just whizzed by as a crowd was forming. It had to be a B1 and not a B68 (I was at a mutual stop) since it was an RTS. *sigh* The bus I boarded was crowded with wet seats... at 18th Ave & 86th St I saw a B1 bus out of service with the engine exposed [i don't know if that was the same bus I saw earlier] but it soon went into service heading towards 4th Av, competing with us for passengers. I don't know about the signage though, because every single B1 bus I saw yesterday read "B1 via 86 ST". And I saw the sign you're talking about. The MTA ADDED a B64 sign at the B16 bus stop going to Shore Rd/3 Av located at 4 Av & 86 St. The B64 didn't even stop there when it ran via 86 St! So what is it doing there now!?!? This makes no sense!!

P.S. - The B23 will be missed. Even if it was the most middle-of-nowhereish routes of them all. You always should've been longer!!! :cry:

The pros and cons with the budget cuts so far in my opinion is that I do like the new B57, and the new B61. The seem reliable in my part. What I don't like is that they made the B48 terminate at Fulton st ( and I hate taking the (S) ). And how come the (MTA) are so lazy changing the destinations on the bus stops and changing the old headways with new ones.

I think one of the worst things about all these new changes is the MTA hasn't fixed all the stop signs. Its become VERY confusing. I understand that will take some time, but some stops don't have the notice saying the stop is no longer a stop. There are still B4 signs on Neptune Ave and x29 signs on Broadway in Manhattan. I'd also like to know where the M20 stops around the Ferry but I haven't the slightest idea. :mad::tdown:

Agreed and well said LadyJay:tup:. At least by the first business day last week June 28, have the MTA website updated w/ the correct and current maps and schedules. IMO there was no excuse for not having the website updated by last Monday.

Also I will only give some slack to the (MTA) for the bus stop signs since there at least thousands of bus stops citywide. However by July 15, every bus stop should be updated.

The MTA is waiting on some more schedules. The website will only be finalized when all the schedules are available in PDF form, but some are not yet. These are the routes:

B100, B103

BM3

Q6, Q7, Q9, Q11, Q21, Q25, Q34, Q37, Q40, Q53, Q60, Q100

QM10, QM11

Note how all those routes are MTA Bus Company routes.

Where did you get July 15 from?

The MTA is waiting on some more schedules. The website will only be finalized when all the schedules are available in PDF form, but some are not yet. These are the routes:

B100, B103

BM3

Q6, Q7, Q9, Q11, Q21, Q25, Q34, Q37, Q40, Q53, Q60, Q100

QM10, QM11

Note how all those routes are MTA Bus Company routes.

Where did you get July 15 from?

It a date IMO that is about 2 1/2 weeks after the service cuts went into effect. I meant that by July 15, all of the bus stops citywide and hopefully no before the website has everything updated. In a huge city like NYC I know it takes time to update all of the stops and the (MTA) should have started by early June.^_^

I think one of the worst things about all these new changes is the MTA hasn't fixed all the stop signs. Its become VERY confusing. I understand that will take some time, but some stops don't have the notice saying the stop is no longer a stop. There are still B4 signs on Neptune Ave and x29 signs on Broadway in Manhattan. I'd also like to know where the M20 stops around the Ferry but I haven't the slightest idea. :mad::tdown:

This is true...

and worse, there are signs for bus stops placed in the wrong locations...

Brooklyn example #1 - a Sunset park bound B70 stop on the SE corner of Bay ridge av/8th av...

the stop itself is ON bay ridge av; That should not be a shared 64/70 stop, as the B70 turns on 8th...

Brooklyn example #2 - a B64 stop on the NW corner of 86th/4th... it never stopped on that corner anyway

and the M23 is damn near non-existant at time so I have no choice but to walk to the train after work sometimes...mainly cuz a cab is too much

yup... during the night time (even before the cuts), it's not uncommon to see people walking from the Madison park area, to Peter cooper....

With the M9 to City Hall, M15 service has increased significantly and is actually meeting up with the demands, also has a new short turn at Pike & Division Streets.

It just about had to...

Look for the M15 to surpass the B46 to "retain" the "title" of the most ridden bus route in the nation....

The pros and cons with the budget cuts so far in my opinion is that I do like the new B57, and the new B61. The seem reliable in my part. What I don't like is that they made the B48 terminate at Fulton st ( and I hate taking the ). And how come the are so lazy changing the destinations on the bus stops and changing the old headways with new ones.

Only route I've gotten to check out was the "new" B70 so far... I actually look forward to staying on the same side of the street (92nd st) getting off a S53 or 79 when I'm coming from SI (as opposed to crossing 92nd to wait for a brownsville bound B8)... in my three instances, I haven't had to wait more than 10 mins. for a B70... service DEFINITELY went up on that route..... and I have an easy xfer to the B35 to boot....

^^as crazy as this may sound, I think they ended up saving that route, even though it's routing is indirect....

The new B61 I figured wouldn't have too many problems... along 9th av is the only point where buses might get caught in a significant amt. of traffic.... I've heard favorable opinions on the new B61 as well....

The B57... when are they EVER gonna finish construction on Flushing av.... everytime you look, one segment of flushing av is blocked off on one lane....

IMO, they really need to move buses along park av b/w classon & throop....

I meant that by July 15, all of the bus stops citywide and hopefully no before the website has everything updated.

lo que?

Only difference for me is that I can take an instead of a train.

That's now a new option for me after work...

Since I don't bother taking the (:P to church from West 4th....

I can now take the (M) to Marcy, catch the B46, and take a nice nap all the way to church.... did exactly that, this past monday or tuesday... I woke up @ linden blvd (a block before church)... lucky me...

think I got to the posts I missed that I wanted to reply to....

You also have to blame one other agency. King Bloomberg's NYC-DOT. They the ones who maintained the bus stops that have not been removed or updated the signs.

Archived