Man struck, killed by subway train near Columbia University

Matt91

Again? This is so pathetic.... we really need to get more cops on the platform for security and to watch and make sure people dont jump.. .EVER... people complain about service cuts, its partly because of this

First, how do you know this guy was a jumper? He could have slipped and fell or something like that.

Second, how will a cop on the platform stop some one? Even if they called it in right away, the PD dispatcher still has to call the TA who then tries to call the T/O of the closest train. Also, if someone is going to kill them self, they wait until the train is too close to stop. So again how would a cop on the platform prevent thins.

Approximately how many 12-9s occur every year, on average? I'm guessing that the press doesn't cover all incidences of people on the tracks.

Approx. 90 a year.

With just about 40 so far to date, and 1/4 of the way through the year, it's on pace for about 160 this year.

So yes, this year the numbers are very high.

The press doesn't usually cover it because covering "successful" suicides will often encourage others thinking of it to jump in front of trains. Obviously, nobody wants that.

I actually heard it was a suicide, as a matter of fact.

As of now, it's still just speculation. But like all things in life, that can change. I'm still waiting to hear how cops on the platform would stop this from happening.

It is a Confirmed Suicide. A Young man jumped in front of the train. Very tragic I know the T/O.

Thanks for confirming this. Again, another T/O involved with someone else's own suicide...tragic if I must say.

Archived