What impact on your life will the planned 2010 Subway cuts have on your lives?

Shortline Bus

They really should keep the (G) running into Queens late nights and weekends. QB needs 2 locals.

The (W) really should be kept for rush hours only. Then they can run the N local middays and nights.

It'll suck for 4th Av local riders and maybe for West End riders.

But so long as the (5) still runs to Flatbush all day, I'm not affected much by the cuts.

About six weeks ago I went to my local community board transportation committee meeting where a couple of guys from the (MTA) came to talk about the (M2)/(V) combo and take questions. I said that, seeing as how this new service is going to be a "real train," and not the redheaded stepchild of the (J) it really would no longer make sense anymore to cut it back to a shuttle late nights and weekends and so it would be nice, once the (MTA)'s finances stabilized, if we could have 24/7 service. The flacks said that that could be a possibility for the future - especially since the folks on the QB want another local train. Now, that was just a couple of (MTA) flacks. But I wouldn't be surprised if the (M) were to run its full length at all times sometime in the future.

I'm one of the very, very few people who might benefit from these changes. I live on the (M2) and when it becomes the (M) I'll have a somewhat shorter, one-seat ride to work, which'll be a first for me in the sixteen years or so I've been living in Queens. So June 28th can't come soon enough for me in that respect. And, as I stated elsewhere, I hope that we'll eventually get 24/7 service. Not now, but maybe in the forseeable future.

I worry about overcrowding, though. I hope they'll decrease the current (M2)'s headways which are absurdly long as they stand now.

I also see this service making my neighborhood more attractive, since it'll be more easily accessed from more of Manhattan. In one way that's fine, but I really don't want to get priced out by hipsters or yuppies.

24/7 is a bit much to ask for. I would say 19/7, and maybe extended to Essex midnights, if it does draw more riders.

Or if it even works at all.

I'm sorry, but I don't think the new (M) is going to work. Just my take.

It doesn't really affect me but it's gonna suck big time seeing the (N) as a local in Manhattan 24/7 again. As long as that line is, it needs to be an express in Manhattan everyday and the (W) should not be eliminated. The people in Lower Manhattan are being screwed by this by having to transfer to that God-awful (R) train. And the (Q) should not be going to Astoria either. It's right where it needs to be at 57th St - 7th Ave. And what you gonna do when the 2nd Ave portion opens up? Astoria will be right where it is all over again. It's just pure bullshit and disaster is waiting at the end of all of this.

Just my 2 cents.

You've been saying much the same thing for a while now. Why?

With the headways that the new (M) will have (I'm guessing it'll stay the same as the (V), at 10 TPH during the rush, or maybe even less than that), why would people give up their ride on a frequent and guaranteed connections with the (F) (which runs 15 TPH during the rush with a wait time of four minutes at most), the (L) (runs 15 TPH as well), or even the (J) and the (Z) for the matter, which operates 12 TPH during the rush (don't forget the (J) and the (Z) alternate every five minutes, so while the (J) operates six TPH as well as the (Z), combined it's 12)?

It takes six to seven minutes to cross the Williamsburg Bridge. Coming into Brooklyn at Essex Street, I guarantee you that 8/10 times, the (M) will be held for the (J)/(Z) comes into the station as the same time, just like the (M2) is at Myrtle Avenue usually, as well as coming into Marcy Avenue, when the (J) comes into Marcy Avenue during the a.m. hours when it operates express. The (M) will still be treated as a stepchild as it is now, saving little to no time at all.

If people are so bent upon the upcoming of the new (M) they may have to leave their house a little earlier because they don't know what'll be coming for them. And if there's a problem at Queens Boulevard, (M) trains that are stuck onto the Jamaica/Nassau Street end may be rerouted to Chambers because the (V) is out most of the time when such a thing happens.

Or if it even works at all.

I'm sorry, but I don't think the new (M) is going to work. Just my take.

If the MTA wants the new M to work, it will work. It's as simple as that, they do not care if it does not work for some people. I just don't want to be any where around the last (V) train, that will be filled with foamers, if the (V) even runs till 11 on the las day and does not end early.

With the headways that the new (M) will have (I'm guessing it'll stay the same as the (V), at 10 TPH during the rush, or maybe even less than that),

We would be LUCKY to keep the (V) headways, or anything close to them; that would actually be a huge IMPROVEMENT in service for (M2) riders, who currently suffer under TEN MINUTE headways, even at the height of rush hour, and would reduce their travel times somewhat.

why would people give up their ride on a frequent and guaranteed connections with the (F) (which runs 15 TPH during the rush with a wait time of four minutes at most),

Are you serious?

On the QB portion of the line the (M) will almost certainly be used just like the (V) and every other local has always been used: as a collector for the express. (I lived on the QB for eight years in the ‘90s and early ‘00s and that's how almost everyone used those trains, with a relative few riding the (R) into Manhattan and maybe a few using the (G) to get to Brooklyn. The (MTA) had hoped to get some people to stay on the (V) when they introduced it, to relieve overcrowding on the (E) and (F). The result? The (V) has always been terribly underutilized and has taken only a little pressure off the expresses.) On the QB portion of the line I doubt that there will be much change in the way people use the (M). Yes, it will be a bit more crowded since it will be shorter and probably less frequent but most QB riders just take whatever local comes first so the (R) will take up some of the slack and it’ll be a bit more crowded, too. But probably not disastrously so - remember, the (V) is underutilized. So, on the northern half of the line things won't be hugely different.

On the other side of the line, the Myrtle-Broadway side, the situation will be much different. The first possible transfer from the (M) to the (F) going into Manhattan will be at Essex-Delancey. With the exception of those few people actually needing to get to 2nd Ave, why would ANYONE in their right mind get off the (M) there to get on the (F), since they'll be making (almost) all the same stops up to Rockefeller Center? (Those riders needing to get to

57th or 63rd Streets would have more convenient transfers north of Delancey.)

Now, if someone was insane enough to get off (M) to get on the (V) what would they find? Generally, long waits and incredibly crowded trains. I work on Washington Sq. Park, myself. You'd think I'd be a prime candidate for the (F) at Delancey, and for years that’s what I took. But the (F) got so bad - I was constantly having to wait so long for it, and having to let so many go by that were too full to get on - that I took to taking the (M2) all the way down to Chambers and getting the (6) to Bleecker. Even though I've been going quite a ways out of my way, and getting off at a stop a block or two further from my ultimate destination than W. 4th St would have left me, what with the constant delays on the (F), it’s usually taken me about the same amount of time, or at least not much longer. And I arrive at work a lot more sane. This new service will be a huge improvement on that and not just for me but for many, many riders. And, incidentially, it will take a lot of pressure off that already overcrowded (F).

the (L) (runs 15 TPH as well), or even the (J) and the (Z) for the matter, which operates 12 TPH during the rush (don't forget the (J) and the (Z) alternate every five minutes, so while the (J) operates six TPH as well as the (Z), combined it's 12)?

The (L) is fine, if it happens to be going near where you need to go. If I had to go anywhere around 14th Street I'd certainly transfer to it. Same goes for the (J)/(Z) and Lower Manhattan. But those trains don't really go where the majority of the riderships need to go - and so suddenly their riders are looking at one or two transfers and that's what kills a commute. Say you live near me and you have to go from Fresh Pond Road to 34th Street. Today you could take the (M2) to the (L) at Union Square, to the (N)(Q)(R) or (W). Yeah, you'd save time on the (L) but you'd almost certainly give it back on the transfers. You could bypass the (L) entirely and take the (M2) to Canal and get the (N)(Q)(R) or (W) there. That's what I would probably do today, trusting that cutting out the transfer would make up for the slightly more indirect route. Starting June 28th you'll, of course, be able to take the (M) directly to 34th. Would it be faster to go via the (L)? Hard to say. Might be an interesting experiment. But I’d wager a significant sum that the (M) direct would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY slower (which I doubt it will be) for large numbers of people to muck about with multiple transfers that may or may not get them there a minute or two faster. You can apply this argument to most or all destinations in midtown.

It takes six to seven minutes to cross the Williamsburg Bridge. Coming into Brooklyn at Essex Street, I guarantee you that 8/10 times, the (M) will be held for the (J)/(Z) comes into the station as the same time, just like the (M2) is at Myrtle Avenue usually, as well as coming into Marcy Avenue, when the (J) comes into Marcy Avenue during the a.m. hours when it operates express. The (M) will still be treated as a stepchild as it is now, saving little to no time at all.

We'll see but I doubt that this will be the case as there will already have been two much easier, same platform transfer opportunities at Myrtle-Broadway and Marcy. My understanding - and I could be wrong about this - is that the (M) will come into Essex on a different platform from the (J)/(Z). The (MTA) doesn't generally hold trains long enough for another to come in and for the passengers to get off, go down a set of stairs, and up another. Especially not during rush hour.

And if there's a problem at Queens Boulevard, (M) trains that are stuck onto the Jamaica/Nassau Street end may be rerouted to Chambers because the (V) is out most of the time when such a thing happens.

Sure, anything can happen, but hopefully that'll be the exception and not the rule. And at least there would be that flexibility.

On balance, I think this will be little change for Queens Boulevard riders and a significant IMPROVEMENT for Myrtle-Broadway riders and I don’t see it being the disaster you predict.

The only significant impact I'll feel is the (Q) going to Astoria. I personally feel that there may be some sort of a reliability issue with the (Q) being weaved into the (N) and (R) tracks, and also with the (N) potentially slowing down the (Q) at Prince Street.

Also, why not have the (Q) run express after 57th Street?

Because 49th St needs the service. Just because it is a local stop, it doesn't mean it can't use 3 lines serving it.

And again the Astoria line can't handle all (Q) and (N) trains going there. (Q)s must have some trains turn back at 57/7th, otherwise there will be a major jam in the 60th St tunnel and the Ditmars station.

They really should have kept the (W) for the rush hours only. Middays the (N) can run local to replace the (W), since traffic and ridership levels is not as demanding.

How you have 5th AVE and lexington two two track stations no express track.

Not all (N) trains even go to Queens; some turn at 57th Street. There is only so much the tunnel can handle, especially since it has three lines. The (R) is the most frequent out of the other two anyway so most likely because of this another service would have to pay the price unfortunately.

The (L) is fine, if it happens to be going near where you need to go. If I had to go anywhere around 14th Street I'd certainly transfer to it. Same goes for the (J)/(Z) and Lower Manhattan. But those trains don't really go where the majority of the riderships need to go - and so suddenly their riders are looking at one or two transfers and that's what kills a commute. Say you live near me and you have to go from Fresh Pond Road to 34th Street. Today you could take the (M2) to the (L) at Union Square, to the (N)(Q)(R) or (W). Yeah, you'd save time on the (L) but you'd almost certainly give it back on the transfers. You could bypass the (L) entirely and take the (M2) to Canal and get the (N)(Q)(R) or (W) there. That's what I would probably do today, trusting that cutting out the transfer would make up for the slightly more indirect route. Starting June 28th you'll, of course, be able to take the (M) directly to 34th. Would it be faster to go via the (L)? Hard to say. Might be an interesting experiment. But I’d wager a significant sum that the (M) direct would have to be SIGNIFICANTLY slower (which I doubt it will be) for large numbers of people to muck about with multiple transfers that may or may not get them there a minute or two faster. You can apply this argument to most or all destinations in midtown.

We'll see but I doubt that this will be the case as there will already have been two much easier, same platform transfer opportunities at Myrtle-Broadway and Marcy. My understanding - and I could be wrong about this - is that the (M) will come into Essex on a different platform from the (J)/(Z). The (MTA) doesn't generally hold trains long enough for another to come in and for the passengers to get off, go down a set of stairs, and up another. Especially not during rush hour.

Sure, anything can happen, but hopefully that'll be the exception and not the rule. And at least there would be that flexibility.

On balance, I think this will be little change for Queens Boulevard riders and a significant IMPROVEMENT for Myrtle-Broadway riders and I don’t see it being the disaster you predict.

I see where you're coming from. I'll just take a wait and see stance and look from the sidelines how this will work out. I'm still holding skepticism with the new service pattern as the cons outweigh the pros but I'll wait for June 28th to come so I can seethe real outcome of this new pattern.

Archived