Half of Subway Security Cameras Not Working

mark1447

christopherstreetsubway.jpg

If you're ever attacked or see something suspicious in one of the Big Apple's subway stations, you may want to take notes after calling police. That's because nearly half of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's 4,000 security cameras are not working.

To make matters worse for concerned passengers, the cash-strapped MTA has also cut the number officers who patrol major bridges and tunnels.

The non-working cameras, according to critics, are a blind spot in the crime and terrorism safety net for the nation's largest city.

A spokesman for the MTA says it not accurate that half of the subway security cameras already installed don't work. Aaron Donovan say while the cameras were installed, the wiring process for many of them is still underway.

The agency reportedly right now has more than 2200 in operation and expects to activate another 910 by June of this year.

But Donovan says he does not know when the rest of them will be up and running.

The issue is raising an eyebrow for some passengers after two suicide bombers took the lives of more than 30 people in Russia during a terrorist attack on a local Subway during rush hour in Moscow.

And on Sunday an unknown assailant stabbed two men to death on a train, exited at the Christopher Street station and was able to escape without being captured by any cameras.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg, said Tuesday the MTA needs more funding. But he says Albany lawmakers turned down a plan that would've eliminated most of the agency's problems.

"I think it's fair to say the MTA does not have enough money to provide the level of security that people want and that we should have," he said. "If we didn't learn the need for security in the subway system time and time in the past, yesterday or the day before should have taught us again."

The NYPD says it doesn't depend on the surveillance cameras set up by the MTA — instead, officers patrol the subways and set up random bag searches in stations around the city.

The NYPD is installing thousands of cameras around the city and is using private surveillance installed in major buildings as part of a massive security initiative. In addition, 500 specialized cameras are in place — an image from one of those cameras led officers to a suspect wanted in the brutal assault of a woman in a bar a few weeks ago.

"As cameras proliferate, as we build more of them, they become more instrumental in solving crimes. They also act as a deterrent," said Paul Browne, a Police Department spokesman.

"The safety and security of our customers is the MTA's top priority," Kevin Ortiz, a spokesman for the MTA, said in a statement. "In a post-9/11 world we have worked together to harden our infrastructure, secure sensitive areas and prioritize locations for surveillance cameras."

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly has made it no secret that he would like more cameras in public spaces, including the subway system, bridges and tunnels and on city streets.

Bloomberg said he's not afraid to ride but cited a recent suicide bomb plot by a militant linked to al-Qaida as a reason New Yorkers must remain vigilant. Afghan immigrant Najibullah Zazi pleaded guilty in February to plotting to carry out a suicide bombing in the subways.

"The whole plan there was to build some bombs and blow up the subway," he said. "So, make no mistake about it, we have to work very hard to keep this subway system safe."

SOURCE: WNBC-<4> New York

March 30, 2010

:mad:They better fix those cameras immediately.

And instead of random bag seaches, why don't they search everyone. B)

I never got searched, nor do i want to. Of course i know im totally legal ! :)

I wonder if the cams in the subway are the same cams they have on the buses. I heard the manufacture of the ones who make the bus cams ether got shut down or left the t/a..

I don't understand why the (MTA) is so late with the installation and maintenance of security cameras. As someone who takes the subway late in not so safe neighborhoods, this doesn't comfort me and nor should it comfort anyone. While a security camera will never be the best replacement of station agents IMHO, the reality is that CCTV is now the first line of defense against crimes in big cities, and the top brass at the (MTA) needs to understand that and finally enter the 21st century.

I don't understand why the (MTA) is so late with the installation and maintenance of security cameras. As someone who takes the subway late in not so safe neighborhoods, this doesn't comfort me and nor should it comfort anyone. While a security camera will never be the best replacement of station agents IMHO, the reality is that CCTV is now the first line of defense against crimes in big cities, and the top brass at the (MTA) needs to understand that and finally enter the 21st century.

We keep hearing the whole "21st Century" thing, but the problem is you're putting new stuff in an old system. Look at CBTC, ATS, countdown clocks and other new stuff to make things look more modern have for the most part been unsatisfactory. These cameras are just a further waste of money and cannot be maintained properly.

only the gullible feel safe with cctv.

Of course. You would know more about this than me, but I would take it that most CCTVs are not monitored most of the time and are really only good for reviewing the footage afterward ... they don't actually keep you safe right then and there.

You would know more about this than me, but I would take it that most CCTVs are not monitored most of the time and are really only good for reviewing the footage afterward ... they don't actually keep you safe right then and there.

to be honest, I don't know much about how it works in TA world (I can think of two or three people who would probably know...you know who they are :(); if they are like most other organizations though, the footage is probably looked at on an as-needed basis.

the simple problem with feeling "safe" with cctv around is simply that a camera does nothing to protect you from a mugger/murder/rapist/what-have-you. if someone has already lowered themselves to breaking the law by considering such an act, what makes you think a simple electronic gizmo will stop them?

I honestly don't see how cameras help so much to deter crime. Unless there is a security officer, a police officer, etc near by, I only see cameras as an aid in "catching the criminal" but not necessarily "preventing the crime". Some criminals may still commit a crime such as robbery even with a camera on or off because he or she knows that no one is immediately going to pursue or chase them (Obviously, they may get caught eventually but the crime none-the-less happened). An officer of some sort, even as a replacement for a station agent is a better safeguard against crime and other threats.

This is old news, I remeber that there was a story about this almost a year ago. And yes, only the gullible feel safe with CCTV since they are looked at only when needed. Just like the CCTV test on that one R160 set, the tape are only viewed when needed. They will NEVER prevent crime, they only help to ID suspects.

We keep hearing the whole "21st Century" thing, but the problem is you're putting new stuff in an old system. Look at CBTC, ATS, countdown clocks and other new stuff to make things look more modern have for the most part been unsatisfactory. These cameras are just a further waste of money and cannot be maintained properly.

Of course. You would know more about this than me, but I would take it that most CCTVs are not monitored most of the time and are really only good for reviewing the footage afterward ... they don't actually keep you safe right then and there.

Truer words were never spoken. All you S/A haters take notice please. Most criminals are more afraid of the human presence than a camera which MAY be monitored. IF the picture is clear enough it may be good enough to identify your assailant, or murderer.

Archived