S78 select bus service in 2011.

LandoftheLost

S78 will become select bus service in fall 2011. Will S78 become a articulated route when Select bus service began fall 2011. Does anybody known are they going to test Nova Bus Lfasa articulated bus on S78.

1) It's the S79, not the S78.

2) We'll just have to see when or if this plan moves on.

There are routes in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and Queens that deserve it more.

And not Staten Island?

Manhattan is getting it come the end of the year. Brooklyn is getting it next year. I don't know about Queens to be frank.

Hylan Blvd is basically parallel to the SIR. I'd rather see it in an area that relies exclusively on buses.

Staten Island is basically nothing BUT buses, so those who usE mass transit in that borough will have to rely on a bus to take them to the ferry, to Manhattan, or to Brooklyn. Hylan Boulevard is a busy corridor itself and could use the help. On a side note, Hylan Boulevard is BLOCKS away from the SIR, especially at the southern end.

SBS is dead in Staten Island. NIMBY killed the plan.

It's really uncertain as to what exactly is going to happen. The plan keeps coming to light and put off over and over.

It's really uncertain as to what exactly is going to happen. The plan keeps coming to light and put off over and over.

Trust me, its dead issue right now. Blame the business along Hylan Blvd, they are scared and afraid of it because of the reports in the Bronx's SBS Fordham Road and Pelham Parkway corridor; no park cars/trucks, no business, no $$$$$.

I am sure the SBS plans in Staten Island will put it up again down the road in 3 to 5 years... once we out of the depression.... I mean recession and MTA has some money to do this project with NYCDOT, NYSDOT, etc.

Hylan Blvd is basically parallel to the SIR. I'd rather see it in an area that relies exclusively on buses.

I had this conversation before, where I argued the proximity of a bus to a heavy rail line shouldn't automatically exclude it from SBS. Plus it's Staten Island, you don't have to look far for a population that heavily relies on buses.

Staten Island is basically nothing BUT buses, so those who usE mass transit in that borough will have to rely on a bus to take them to the ferry, to Manhattan, or to Brooklyn. Hylan Boulevard is a busy corridor itself and could use the help. On a side note, Hylan Boulevard is BLOCKS away from the SIR, especially at the southern end.

100% agreed. I've been down Hylan Blvd on the x1 and S79 and it gets CRAZY busy during specific days and specific times. SBS on the S79 would help improve passenger & bus flow through that corridor, and the SIR is parallel to Hylan Blvd to only some point, the parallel lines end at Eltingville and they pretty much split from there.

As a compromise just create rush hour only S79 limited service for now and call it a day imo.

There are other areas in the city that need SBS alot more urgently.

If what w8hou says is true and SBS on the S79 is dead, then the S79 should become an all-day limited, and not just a rush hour-variant. Look at the M15, that's the only Manhattan bus that operates limited every day. Why? It's a busy corridor, not to mention it's a heavily-used route because it's situated on the East Side of Manhattan.

I went to the Open House that the (MTA) was hosting for the M15 SBS a couple of weeks ago and on one of their graphs they had Staten Island and the S79 up there as possibly getting SBS service. My friend asked one of the (MTA) people there what was up with that and if it's really happening and he said that they are looking into it so there really might be S79 SBS service happening but it won't be for a couple of years.

If anything, Queens won't be getting SBS service. IIRC, that was a case of the NIMBY's.

If what w8hou says is true and SBS on the S79 is dead, then the S79 should become an all-day limited, and not just a rush hour-variant. Look at the M15, that's the only Manhattan bus that operates limited every day. Why? It's a busy corridor, not to mention it's a heavily-used route because it's situated on the East Side of Manhattan.

But the 79 is not heavy outside rush hours to warranted limited stops. Better start with rush hour limited stop service to get everyones attention first, then implemented all day limited stops when there is enough ridership to start it.

M15...

Its already going to happen.....

For starters? The Q44/20, Q11/53, Q111/113 and the B41 or B46.

The only one of the few that makes sense is the Q44 & Q113, everything else runs pretty frequently.

Its already going to happen.....

The only one of the few that makes sense is the Q44 & Q113, everything else runs pretty frequently.

The Q113 looks like a task if you ask me...too many curves. The route's not "straight" per se, and Guy R. Brewer is not a major throughfare imo.

For starters? The Q44/20, Q11/53, Q111/113 and the B41 or B46.

I agree on the B46. IINM, the B46 is right under the M15 in terms of ridership. But the problem I see with that is the Malcolm X Bl part since its only 1 driveable lane each way (2 if you can get lucky) and the Utica Av part from Fulton St to Empire Bl/ENY Av since its also 1 driveable lane.

Plus the area around Eastern Pkwy is a nightmare cuz there's also the B14 & B17, PLUS all the people comming off the (4) train

Archived