S78 select bus service in 2011.

LandoftheLost

The Q113 looks like a task if you ask me...too many curves. The route's not "straight" per se, and Guy R. Brewer is not a major throughfare imo.
there isn't that many curves in the route on the limited and 2 idk about a sbs there on Guy R. Brewer becuase of 1 the Q111 and 2 the Q112 that uses the section and 3from liberty to Linden bl the road is cars only tight lanes now if you had a wide lane then it would be possible to start sbs from linden south to 147 avenue then the nassau exy.

100% agreed. I've been down Hylan Blvd on the x1 and S79 and it gets CRAZY busy during specific days and specific times. SBS on the S79 would help improve passenger & bus flow through that corridor, and the SIR is parallel to Hylan Blvd to only some point, the parallel lines end at Eltingville and they pretty much split from there.

But the S79 would only go up to Eltingville before it turns onto Richmond Avenue.

The reason why they picked the S79 as opposed to the S78 is because the S79 is busier and it actually goes to more popular destinations (like the Staten Island Mall) and goes to an area not served by many Staten Island buses (Bay Ridge).

However, before they start SBS on Hylan Boulevard, they should start limited stop service. The other SBS routes didn't go from no limited service to full-fledged SBS-they went from all-day limited service to SBS.

If the S79 doesn't get SBS, another corridor to consider would be Richmond Avenue with the S59/S89. They already have a local-limited stop pair, run in an rea not served by rapid transit (trains) and do have fairly heavy ridership (Yes I know from the MTA's chart, the average weekday cost per passenger is $3.83, but I think that is due to the S59's extension to Tottenville, where ridership isn't that heavy, compared to along the northern part of Richmond/Port Richmond Avenues, where the S59/S89 do get heavy ridership.). Also, the streets are wide the whole length of Richmond Avenue, though I think SBS would only be feasable south of Forest Avenue, as Morningstar Road is only one lane wide.

Archived