If Only the MTA had enough money

R44 CNG

Overall, I must say that the restyled New Flyer models are really good-looking, particularly the Xcelsior. I tried one of the LFSAs two days ago and it ran damn good. A bit bumpy, but that goes for every low floor and half the high floors when they hit 30-35 mph. I never rode any of the restyled NFs, but if they run anything like the better C40s or the newer Galaxies I'd say go for it. On a side note, how about seeing some NABI 42-BRTs on busy non-articulated n lines like the M60 and their 60-BRTs on SBS?

42-BRT:

IMG_8431.jpg

LACMTA_NABI_4202.jpg

LACMTA_NABI_42BRT-Interior.jpg

60-BRT:

LACMTA_NABI_9562.jpg

LACMTA_NABI_9588.jpg

LACMTA_NABI_60BRT-Interior.jpg

Overall, I must say that the restyled New Flyer models are really good-looking, particularly the Xcelsior. I tried one of the LFSAs two days ago and it ran damn good. A bit bumpy, but that goes for every low floor and half the high floors when they hit 30-35 mph. I never rode any of the restyled NFs, but if they run anything like the better C40s or the newer Galaxies I'd say go for it. On a side note, how about seeing some NABI 42-BRTs on busy non-articulated n lines like the M60 and their 60-BRTs on SBS?

NY MTA is going to NABI.... forget it. MTA is really scared of NABI and they already know a lot of issues of NABI. Look @ NJ Transit order... even in the neck of the woods Bee Line's NABI having some issues with their buses. They even scared of buying articulated buses of CTA fiasco.

BTW, New Flyer's also have problems lately due to orders cut back and the backlog.

I like the C40lfs, but NF's hf artics are meh. I think going with Nova is a very good decision for the MTA. If Nova still had the designs for the RTS, then that would be fantastic. Sadly Millenium took the RTS with them when they went bankrupt.

Why can't Nova pay Millenium to get back the rights to the RTS?

I like the C40lfs, but NF's hf artics are meh. I think going with Nova is a very good decision for the MTA. If Nova still had the designs for the RTS, then that would be fantastic. Sadly Millenium took the RTS with them when they went bankrupt.

Why can't Nova pay Millenium to get back the rights to the RTS?

Nova will be crowned as the stupidest bus company to do that to jeopardize their successful product LFS. You need to stop thinking like a bus fan for a moment.

You need to realized that high floor transit market is dead, everyone is moving away from high floors to low floors except stupid NJ Transit and NJDOT rules. The number of production in RTS after 1996 is down. Lots of Transit agencies already have another model and moving away from RTS. Even discontinue and selling it to that bankrupt company was a good idea for Nova since they dont make money on the RTS and their spotlight product LFS was the main focus to sell in Canada at that time .

No one will buy RTS since towards the end of the story.. it went bad.

Pictures of Xcelsior 3rd pic on 1st page of thread

xcelsior_5.jpg

Allison B400 or Allison EP 40 hybrid drive

Cummins ISL 280 or Cummins ISB280 (Hybrid)

Wow, I really like this bus. I like that it still looks like a high floor and theres more seats in the back.

You need to realized that high floor transit market is dead, everyone is moving away from high floors to low floors except stupid NJ Transit and NJDOT rules.

Just because they are the only ones still getting high floors doesn't make them stupid, it makes them smarter actually cause they are not doing what everyone else is doing. There are some things high floor buses can handle that low floors can't. like crowds

and the roads with pot holes the low floors will bottom out all the time i hate all the low floor bus the nyc uses high floor buses i like and the low floor buses will it last 15 or 20 years of service i don`t think so the high floor buses will and the low floor buses bus are good for florida roads and nevada roads that don`t have pot holes like nyc does

Just because they are the only ones still getting high floors doesn't make them stupid, it makes them smarter actually cause they are not doing what everyone else is doing. There are some things high floor buses can handle that low floors can't. like crowds

Smart? Yeah, how are they smart?

Uh, they havent fixed up the axle requirements rule. It is the reason that they have to go to high floors. If NJDOT change the old rule then we can see NJ Transit order low floors. Low floors are already in the future. When they have to replace their RTS buses coming soon, they will have to start realizing nobody will make high floor transits other than NABI 416 which is in life support. NJ Transit is already dissatisfied their order on NABI 416 with number of problems.

Nova will be crowned as the stupidest bus company to do that to jeopardize their successful product LFS. You need to stop thinking like a bus fan for a moment.

You need to realized that high floor transit market is dead, everyone is moving away from high floors to low floors except stupid NJ Transit and NJDOT rules. The number of production in RTS after 1996 is down. Lots of Transit agencies already have another model and moving away from RTS. Even discontinue and selling it to that bankrupt company was a good idea for Nova since they dont make money on the RTS and their spotlight product LFS was the main focus to sell in Canada at that time .

No one will buy RTS since towards the end of the story.. it went bad.

Millennium did introduce a low floor version of the RTS. That's likely what the LFS was originally supposed to be, but then Millenium's version looked more like an RTS. Of course, if Nova had kept the rights to the RTS design; that would never have been produced.

Pictures of Xcelsior 3rd pic on 1st page of thread]

xcelsior_4.jpg

Allison B400 or Allison EP 40 hybrid drive

Cummins ISL 280 or Cummins ISB280 (Hybrid)

Man is this one sexy Bus it's a travesty that NYCT won't go with New Flyer I definitely think that the riding Public should have say so over what type of Buses should be run because I/we use the service and NYCT is a Public Benefit Corporation so with that being said when they get those Demostrators they should atleast have comment cards on board

because as it stands now those Nova artics that are in production are not eye catching doesn't have a sleek design and it looks bland 5 thumbs up to California

Man is this one sexy Bus it's a travesty that NYCT won't go with New Flyer I definitely think that the riding Public should have say so over what type of Buses should be run because I/we use the service and NYCT is a Public Benefit Corporation so with that being said when they get those Demostrators they should atleast have comment cards on board

because as it stands now those Nova artics that are in production are not eye catching doesn't have a sleek design and it looks bland 5 thumbs up to California

Iv'e noticed NYCT wasting money on ugly Sh*t like those Designlines if you ask me those are adequate for Access A Ride what type of crush load do they expect those to carry

Yay 2 B/O love the Xcelsior:tup::cool:

Since your a B/O what do you think about the driver area, instrument panel and dash

driver_area.jpg

dash.jpg

xcelsior_instrumentpanel.jpg

Love the Drivers compartment looks very spacious ease of entry and exit the plus is that the gear shift box is near the indicator/gauge panel as opposed to the left side near the drivers window like it is on the Orion VII

Love the Drivers compartment looks very spacious ease of entry and exit the plus is that the gear shift box is near the indicator/gauge panel as opposed to the left side near the drivers window like it is on the Orion VII

Time to see what KR thinks

Smart? Yeah, how are they smart?

Uh, they havent fixed up the axle requirements rule. It is the reason that they have to go to high floors. If NJDOT change the old rule then we can see NJ Transit order low floors. Low floors are already in the future. When they have to replace their RTS buses coming soon, they will have to start realizing nobody will make high floor transits other than NABI 416 which is in life support. NJ Transit is already dissatisfied their order on NABI 416 with number of problems.

Eldorado... Champion....

While we're talking about the decline of the high-floor bus market, let us take a moment of silence for the Orion V. Frankly, it saddened me greatly when Daimler pulled the plug on it; NABI has been selling the 416 for at most the same time as the Orion V has been around and there should have been little trouble redesigning the front of the V for a more contemporary/attractive look. Also, I have had the privilege of riding some of Bee-Line's 2006 Vs and those buses gave more power than and had a superior ride quality when compared to the NGs (MTA) opted for.

In terms of the concept of a low floor I feel there is a serious and not altogether beneficial trade-off. Yes, low floors make wheelchair accessibility and senior citizen accessibility much less of an issue. However, in return for that you lose 5+ seats per bus (compare the 45-seat Bee-Line Orion Vs to the 40-seat VIIs), the suspension has to do a lot of extra work and usually does not do it gracefully (compare the rattling on the month-old LFSAs to that of the 7-to-8-year-old D60HFs), and we have to deal with slightly smaller engines, multiplex wiring in the passenger cabin, and slightly smaller AC units due to the loss of space under the floor. Finally, the new low floors wind up SRO much more often because nobody wants to climb the steps to the back of the bus and the steps themselves take away standing room.

In no way am I asking for the exclusive use of high floors as per (NJT), in part because that cannot happen and in part because low floors are legitimately good buses. However, I am arguing for more of a balanced approach to bus procurement. On low-capacity routes and routes that tend to serve a disproportionately elderly/disabled clientele by all means use low floors; this is what they were intended for. However, mid- to high-capacity routes should belong to high floor models.

Archived