BM5 to make stops within Queens

BusOperator3319

Why not? It certainly could help the Bm5 get the extra ridership it currently doesn't have.

(difference in) demographics (and social class, really) would be an issue... I could hear the outcries now from those (qm15) riders... matter fact, you'd hear it from residents in the areas the qm15 travels along that don't even USE the express bus... lol....

don't think for a second woodhaven (the neighborhood), richmond hill, lindenwood, rego park, ozone park residents wouldn't object to "their" route carrying Brooklyn passengers... especially those out of ENY & Starrett city (even though they cleaned it up a lot - even going to the lengths of renaming the complex; "Spring Creek Towers")... unfortunately, this is how people think... this is (part of the reason) why certain routes can't be maximized to their full potential, as far as ridership goes....

even though it's a stones throw away, Lindenwood residents (w/ which the QM15 serves) will tell you real quick that WE LIVE IN QUEENS !

not.. brooklyn

Outside of public outcries/preferences, etc, I still don't agree w/ having the BM5 serving EVERY stop along the QM15, along with it's current stops (although there aren't that many)... it's enough that it circumnavigates the "meat" of Brooklyn to get to it's destination... Reliability would be a concern... No Brooklyn rider would opt to sit on a bus, watching ppl. disembark along cross bay blvd, and (pretty much) the length of Woodhaven.... Those Queens riders don't want "them" on "their" route.... besides, the qm15 is rather reliable... can't say the same for the BM5 (that, I will agree w/ qm15 riders on)....

Personally I think that's what the mta wants to gradually do; somehow combine those 2 routes (BM5, QM15)... adding 3 more stops in Queens is their way of using trial & error to see if things pan out or not...

Me, I don't see it working out for the better (a full combination, I mean)....

This experiment w/ adding the 3 stops, don't agree w/ it either... but, let's see what happens with it....

I'm not sure if it counts as a super express, but the X42 is my favorite express bus route. It uses the FDR, Verrazano Bridge, and Staten Island Expressway.

Nope... Staten Island doesn't have any super expresses....

a good portion of their routes most would consider a "super" express (e/g: the x19 & the x42), over what the MTA classifies as a super express...

^ Saying that another way, what most common folk might consider a super express.... and how it's actually used/defined as far as MTA's express buses are, are two very different things.

Little off-topic.

I want to try Super Express one day.

What buses that have Super Express?

IMO, you're not missing much.... but anyway:

BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4 - super expresses on each of these 4 routes are buses that run to/from Brooklyn from/to Midtown Manhattan...

what makes them "super expresses" is that they skip lower manhattan coming from midtown manhattan...

Qm1, QM1a, QM2, QM2a:

- there's a super express on the qm1 that runs straight from wall st, to Queens (that's the only manhattan stop)

- there's a super express on the qm1a, qm2, and the qm2a that picks up at the first stop of the midtown branch (6th/36th), then runs straight to Queens

(again, that's the only pickup point in manhattan)

the bxm3 has 2 or 3 runs that bypass (doesn't serve) sedgwick av... but I'm not sure if those runs are considered "super expresses"

hope this helps.

Ah so basically they are more like BM1A, BM2A..etc? Same trunk lines, but different destinations?

I kinda feel the BM2 super express is pointless since the bus stops at Flatbush Av - the first stop on the 2 train [meaning you have a chance to get a seat] and it would reach Midtown slightly faster than the bus.

If the BM2's last stop was the Junction then headed straight for the Prospect expressway...I could see it being a Super Express....

As it is now...If the (2) and the BM2 leave the junction together...by the time the BM2 reaches the Expressway the (2) is somewhere along Eastern Parkway...if its the (5) your at Atlantic or Borough Hall in the same amount of time.

If the BM2's last stop was the Junction then headed straight for the Prospect expressway...I could see it being a Super Express....

As it is now...If the (2) and the BM2 leave the junction together...by the time the BM2 reaches the Expressway the (2) is somewhere along Eastern Parkway...if its the (5) your at Atlantic or Borough Hall in the same amount of time.

One time a few years ago: I got on the (2) at Park Place and saw a Bm2 [CNG O5]. I made a minor mental note of the bus number and thought nothing much of it. I wait a few min for the (2) to show up and get to Flatbush Av. By the time I am up the surface, I just see that very BM2 I saw pulling in at the intersection.

It looks bleek for the future of the BM5 the douche f*gs over at (MTA) Bus Company are conjuring up some kind of scheme to eleminate the route as I was told yesterday by my mother who rides it 5 days a week to get to and from work there is this one lady who go's to all of the meeting concerning Transportation and she informs everyone on the Bus of the (MTA) intentions

the BM5 carries a load just last week good friday the QM23 only picked up 3 passengers at 3rd and 34th and that was his only load how dare them try this shit MidTown Direct service is vital

It looks bleek for the future of the BM5 the douche f*gs over at (MTA) Bus Company are conjuring up some kind of scheme to eleminate the route as I was told yesterday by my mother who rides it 5 days a week to get to and from work there is this one lady who go's to all of the meeting concerning Transportation and she informs everyone on the Bus of the (MTA) intentions

the BM5 carries a load just last week good friday the QM23 only picked up 3 passengers at 3rd and 34th and that was his only load how dare them try this shit MidTown Direct service is vital

1st. It's the (MTA).

2nd. You think the (MTA) wants to add all the stops on Woodhaven Blvd?

It's THREE stops, not 43.
It's three stops that are not needed the QM16 and QM17 can pick up the slack I don't see these 3 extra stops doing anything for NYCT/(MTA)Bus bottom line honestly it's not going to gain any popularity and I highly doubt that any body within Queens will be using the service it's just making people leave their homes early in order to get to work on time and it smells like service reduction/route elimination

Well the only other option would be to cut runs. I just don't see the point of running a partially filled bus that only runs 1 [2 if it deadheads] round trip a day. This applies to any underutilized bus routes.

Also in general D4500s are overkill. Lower use lines should use only the O5 CNGs if at all possible. Also they easily could've used those RTSs with suburban seats for the express routes [mainly the lower used ones like the BM4 and BM5]. Rather than to convert the seats with the hard plastic ones from the retired buses and putting them on the local routes at LGA.

Well the only other option would be to cut runs. I just don't see the point of running a partially filled bus that only runs 1 [2 if it deadheads] round trip a day.

And that is why the (MTA) needs to have a huge, inter-agency (NYCTB & MTAB) layup depot in Manhattan. Another alternative is to have the exp buses layup in the regular depots while the local buses are on their runs.

Archived