R160B Testing On The (B) (Again)

If the R160s go on the (B), I think the (D) should get them as well. Just saying. Sometimes if the (B)s cars lay around the Concourse yard in the Bronx, the (D) might end up using them eventually. Back in the day, the (D) did borrow R32s, R40s, R42s from the (:P and this time around the R68/As.

Back to topic, the R160s might be cool on the (B) if it does occur...

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the R160s go on the (B), I think the (D) should get them as well. Just saying. Sometimes if the (B)s cars lay around the Concourse yard in the Bronx, the (D) might end up using them eventually. Back in the day, the (D) did borrow R32s, R40s, R42s from the (:P and this time around the R68/As.

Back to topic, the R160s might be cool on the (B) if it does occur...

Then where will those R68s from the D go to? The A and maybe the C are slated to be all R46s, so sending R68s there is ruled out.

There's really no place to send the R160s because nearly every line has more than enough of it. And there is not a whole lot of places to send the R68/As other than to keep them at the Concourse and CI yards.

Then where will those R68s from the D go to? The A and maybe the C are slated to be all R46s, so sending R68s there is ruled out.

There's really no place to send the R160s because nearly every line has more than enough of it. And there is not a whole lot of places to send the R68/As other than to keep them at the Concourse and CI yards.

I am not suggesting that the (D) use R160s on a regular basis. I am saying that the (D) might use them once in a while if the (B) will use them. I wasn't considering the R68s the (D) is using in my previous post.

The (N) goes to Astoria already so late nights it probably uses 2-3 sets from the (W) since service is not active compared to rush hr & day servie.The (Q) will need about 3-5 extra sets I mean there are not many stops after Midtown-57 & there are 10 stops remaining which is about 3 (Q) trains spacing btwn everystop .So there will be extras since (Q)/(;) kinda share cars they may share that 160 like how they share 68's & that 32.But that 160 will favor the (Q) like how the 32 favors the (B).

i dont know why it needs 160s if it has plenty of R68s to handle it

I have to agree b\c the (N)/(Q) & (W) had plenty of R68's why did the 160's go to them? If you think about it the R160's should had replaced all the Slants on the (;) the (B) should be mostly R160.Retire all the phase I 32's.Now Slants/32's & Mods ran on the N/Q/W if I'm not mistaken the R160's should had retired all of those cars and the (N)/(Q)/(W) would have 160's.To me the cars in bad shape on whom lines should had gotten 160's*****(B)'s Slants/Mods.I just can't believe Concourse rejected R160's the (D) & (B) is boring too me seeing the same shit everyday slow shitcans.I wish the (B) & (D) was like how the (Q) is now about 50/50 68's & 160's.

I'm just tired of all this talk about this NTT 160 it was only exciting when it came in as testing in 06 now it boring and played out let me know in a few years when the R179s and later on R188s.

Ok, but still why would Jamaica yard need those R32s? I would think it would make more sense to just give 207th/Pitkin all the remaining R32s. God knows Jamaica yard treated them like crap forcing them to run R46s on the E for 1-2 days a couple of years ago.

The W is mostly R160s. Where/when have you seen that many R68s on the W? I can understand maybe tops: 2-3, but you have to be kidding me when you are saying 6-8. I was on the Astoria line last week and in a 30-min span I saw nothing but R160s.

I meant 2-3 sets of 68's and 6-8 sets of 160 W.Ok 30min span on the Astoria line is not enough it takes roughly 30min for the (W) to get from Astoria to Whitehall some may even went to Kings Hwy.Its like the (A) they have all the 46's going in one direction back2back.

I was on the train Thursday and while getting off the (C) At W 4th Street I saw a not in service I believe it was in the 88xx series signed up on the (;) with the door open on the opposite side. I couldn't take a photo because when I took my camera out, it was already leaving.

So my question is the (B) getting any R160s? Would this happen because of the (W) Train being eliminated and due to the Brighton Line project? I'll be upset because the (B)(D) is fine with R68/R68As.

If anyone has more info that will be helpful.

Daniel

Yo, Man this testing to see if they are going to get rid of the

(B)R44's

Some people are just obsessed with seeing R160s on the B. Like I've been stating:

"Astoria-Ditmars is the reason why the (N)/(W) have been 99% R160s. They share the terminal and they need R160s there so they can easily change a train to suit the demands of either line compared to the time consuming manual sign changes. When the (W) is gone, those R160s should be going to the (N) and (Q) so there would be no issues at the terminal. That would mean R68s would have to be set aside as the extras."

So, why people still thinks the R160s from the W will end up on the B, I have no idea.

They'll probably less likely swap trains at the terminal, because the (W) was really just a branch of the (N) and less likely to be delayed, while being more expendable (so it could wait until the delayed (N) finally came in, and could replace the (W) that filled in for the (N)); while the (Q) is its own full fledged line.

Yo, Man this testing to see if they are going to get rid of the

(B)R44's

I won't correct u b\c some1 already did.But the (;) idk maybe getting R160's soon the (R) got a few sets unexpectedly I was surprised but not foaming surprisngly.160 (B) would look nice if u swap (Q) 160 for (B) 68's I mean ur gonna speed up the B during rush hrs on Concourse & 6 Av/CPW.If u were referring to the 44's in Concourse those are scrap and will least likely see service again.

zzz.......Wake me up when it goes into service......zzz

If it's testing, it's irrelevant, IMO. If it's in service, then go ahead and foam all you want.

I bet you'll be the main foamer if several sets of R160's are on the (;),you'll figure it out one day and you'll see pics and just foam to death when you catch it.(Jus j/k wit ya),but this is weird.R160 (B) testing several days this week.

Ok then, but that brings us back to the point the (N)/(Q) will likely take all the R160s because of flexibility [as I stated above] at Astoria-Ditmars. So now the (Q) will likley take the rest of the R160s from the (W) and then leave a few R68/A sets for the (;) or whatever lines need them. I personally would like it if the G was transfered to CI and they make the G R68s. That would be a good line to send the excess R68s to.

Based off this, will the (G) remain all 4 car R46s once it moves to CI? Will the glut of R46's from the (V) be used on the (G) or elsewhere?

The N is 100% R160 sometimes the W has 6-8sets of R68's so there not 99% combined yet.

I ride the (Q)/(W) everyday, and I have not seen a R68 on the (W) line in years.

Yes, the (W) does run 10 trains and not 12-13. The route is only 40 minutes end to end, and then there's layover time at each terminal. When every other (Q) gets extended to Astoria at 10-12 minute headways then that's a 20 minute extension to Astoria. That's gonna require ~4 trains, and then the (N) will run local, requiring at least another 2 trains. Also if there is any extras, the whole point of service cuts is to reduce the size of the fleet. They could send some R160s over to Jamaica, but they would probably displace R46s to Pitkin to retire more trains. It's still too early to tell what exactly will happen.

Thats wrong,its 12-13 trains. Its highly guaranteed there will be leftover R160 (W) going to JYD.[/b]

Doubt that those 160s would go over to JYD. Doesnt really make sense imo.

I Think I know why they are testing the R160's on the (;) more, I think it has to do with the (Q) riders, Rerember they hate the R160's for their own personal reasons, It would Be Smart to put them on the (B) REASON: the (B) has 2 Terminals, Rush Hours it goes to Bedford Pk Blvd and other times it goes to 145th, By using R160's, It will Improve the (B) and save time on changing rollsigns, Right Now the (B) is a Hell Hole.

And on the Car Equipment part

Car Assignments are a Mess Right Now, 207th does not need anymore R32's, Jamaica is going to need them if Pitkin is taking Jamica's R46's and I did heard that the R32's will only be for extra (R) service (Subject to Change), 207th is giving away 20 anyway and the R32's are not retiring right now so its possible to see them somewhere on a different line. We Just Need to wait and see what is going to happen

Doubt that those 160s would go over to JYD. Doesnt really make sense imo.

Agreed. The (R) could be able to use them, however, as it'll need all the trains it could use if it's going to be solo in the Brooklyn Local run, in Downtown Brooklyn, and in Lower Manhattan.

The (R) runs 10 t.p.h. at this moment during the rush. If it's going to be by itself in the segments I listed above it'll most likely need two more trains at least.

I meant 2-3 sets of 68's and 6-8 sets of 160 W.Ok 30min span on the Astoria line is not enough it takes roughly 30min for the (W) to get from Astoria to Whitehall some may even went to Kings Hwy.Its like the (A) they have all the 46's going in one direction back2back.

The only (W) trains that go to Kings Highway are the first and the last 3 (W) trains of the day.

Based off this, will the (G) remain all 4 car R46s once it moves to CI? Will the glut of R46's from the (V) be used on the (G) or elsewhere?

If the (G) is moved to CI yard then it will use either R68s or R160s. There's no word of that happening in the near future though.

Agreed. The (R) could be able to use them, however, as it'll need all the trains it could use if it's going to be solo in the Brooklyn Local run, in Downtown Brooklyn, and in Lower Manhattan.

The (R) runs 10 t.p.h. at this moment during the rush. If it's going to be by itself in the segments I listed above it'll most likely need two more trains at least.

However, the (MTA) refuses to add ®s.:tdown:

The only (W) trains that go to Kings Highway are the first and the last 3 (W) trains of the day.

If the (G) is moved to CI yard then it will use either R68s or R160s. There's no word of that happening in the near future though.

Wasn't the (G) suppose to be out of CI once service is officially terminated to Continental?

I have to agree b\c the (N)/(Q) & (W) had plenty of R68's why did the 160's go to them? If you think about it the R160's should had replaced all the Slants on the (:( the (B) should be mostly R160.Retire all the phase I 32's.Now Slants/32's & Mods ran on the N/Q/W if I'm not mistaken the R160's should had retired all of those cars and the (N)/(Q)/(W) would have 160's.To me the cars in bad shape on whom lines should had gotten 160's*****(B)'s Slants/Mods.I just can't believe Concourse rejected R160's the (D) & (B) is boring too me seeing the same shit everyday slow shitcans.I wish the (B) & (D) was like how the (Q) is now about 50/50 68's & 160's.

Why is it a surprise that Concourse rejected R160s? The R68/A are the most reliable fleet in the system so there's no point for them to get newer cars. They also have a uniform fleet which reduces operating costs. They would not run R160s just to please the whims of a few railfans.

Archived