Pols, civics lament Q74 elimination

w8Hou

“So many people rely on the Q74, whether they’re taking it to school, to Borough Hall, to shopping on Main Street, going to the court house, or connecting with the E and F subway lines,” said state Sen. Toby Stavisky (D-Whitestone). “They’re going to cut off residents with the rest of the city.”

Of course, Stavisky is lying. She knows that every Q74 rider will have access to something...

- for Borough Hall, take the Q44/20 to the Q46.

- for the E and F trains, take the Q64 to Forest Hills or the Q44/20 to Briarwood.

- for Queens College... Those who now take the subway to the Q74 can take the Q64 from Forest Hills. Those who now take the Q10 or Q37 to the Q74 can take a south-side bus to Jamaica for the Q25/Q34.

- for other schools, options vary by school.

Dolan questioned why the MTA chose the Q74 to go instead of bus lines ridden by fewer people, including the Q14 in Whitestone, which has an average ridership of about 2,062.

Of course, Dolan knows full well that the Q14 is also on the hit list.

State Assemblyman Rory Lancman (D-Fresh Meadows) expressed his displeasure at the removal of the Q74 and said it was a route the MTA “promised to save when the [state] Legislature bailed out the MTA last year.”

Of course, Lancman knows full well but will never admit that...

- the Legislature (including Lancman) built the "bailout" around FAKE revenue projections, resulting in far less revenue than originally claimed;

- the Legislature (including Lancman) voted to TAKE AWAY part of the reduced revenue.

- the Legislature (including Lancman) is now scoring points with voters by complaining about the MTA's reactions to Legislative decisions.

I can agree with the smaller buses but as bus that goes around a college students have classes all hours in the day. if you think the Q44 is crowded now wait until the Q74 is eliminated and all those riders who used to get off at Kew Gardens have to go into Jamaica to get the Q44,Q24 and Q35.

Thing 1:

Why not get off the train at Forest Hills, take the Q64, and walk up from Jewel & Kissena? The shorter subway ride and shorter bus ride should more than make up for a slightly longer walk.

Thing 2:

The Q24 doesn't serve Queens College.

Thing 3:

The Q35 doesn't serve Jamaica or Queens College.

Thing 1:

Why not get off the train at Forest Hills, take the Q64, and walk up from Jewel & Kissena? The shorter subway ride and shorter bus ride should more than make up for a slightly longer walk.

Thing 2:

The Q24 doesn't serve Queens College.

Thing 3:

The Q35 doesn't serve Jamaica or Queens College.

He meant Q25/Q34

Personally the Q74 won't have an impact on me other then in the 3-6 PM range since the Q46 is packed with SJU students in that time range. Then again I am usually gone before 3 anyway a lot of times.

What I don't understand is why more people are making a big deal about the Q74 then any other lines being cut? Some things just don't make any sense!

Besides those that are coming from the Queens Blvd line are better off with the Q64 & Q88 buses. I always thought taking the E or F to the Q74 is a roundabout way since all those schools on the Q74 are located in between Jewel & LIE.

Getting rid of the Q79 and the Q31 is even crazier, as there are no alternatives now and more ppl will crowd the buses to Flushing because there's no bus to Jamaica from Bayside anymore.

The Q31 will still be there on weekdays. (But you already knew that.)

The one time I took the 31 it was quite busy.

What day of the week was that? What time of day? Which direction? Between which stops? Was that trip's leader on schedule?

The one time I took the 31 it was quite busy.
What day of the week was that? What time of day? Which direction? Between which stops? Was that trip's leader on schedule?

The one time......

Asking any questions isn't necessary after that point.

The one time......

Asking any questions isn't necessary after that point.

Yes, it IS necessary.

You're judging the entire route (in both directions, over the whole week) - and asking the rest of us to do so as well - on the basis of one trip. I refuse to participate in that judgment without more information.

Yes us NYers have become extremely lazy.Wasting money to ride a bus for just a stop or two.How utterly ridiculous.And then some really want to abuse the ride or think the bus is a taxi service.Perfect example:I was working on the Q64 and on the last trip,when we got to the last stop this fun bags chick wanted to be left off at the stop going back to the train station.The driver refused and ms.milk mounds had the nerve to mention the bus# as if that was gonna do anything.She couldn't walk a block!?Come on!

Yes, it IS necessary.

You're judging the entire route (in both directions, over the whole week) - and asking the rest of us to do so as well - on the basis of one trip. I refuse to participate in that judgment without more information.

That's exactly why it ISN'T necessary...

You really think JohnQpine (or anyone else in that position, for the matter) is gonna sit there & answer each of those questions truthfully...

and refuse to participate? You initiated it by even bothering to analyze (enough to make a post on) someone's irrational opinion of a route, based off of ONE trip someone took on some route....

I wouldn't have taken that post of his serious enough to ask him the questions you just did...

Nothing he could say would justify, or change the fact.... that you don't judge a route off one trip.

That's exactly why it ISN'T necessary...

You really think JohnQpine (or anyone else in that position, for the matter) is gonna sit there & answer each of those questions truthfully...

and refuse to participate? You initiated it by even bothering to analyze (enough to make a post on) someone's irrational opinion of a route, based off of ONE trip someone took on some route....

I wouldn't have taken that post of his serious enough to ask him the questions you just did...

Nothing he could say would justify, or change the fact.... that you don't judge a route off one trip.

It was on a Saturday, actually. But of course it was awhile ago, maybe ridership has gone down. But I definately know the Flushing routes get jammed 7 days a week and really cant take on anymore riders.

It was on a Saturday, actually. But of course it was awhile ago, maybe ridership has gone down. But I definately know the Flushing routes get jammed 7 days a week and really cant take on anymore riders.

That why as compromise the (MTA) should use 30-foot buses on routes like the Q74 and other low usage lines especially weekends/late evenings etc. Another compromise would be to run it at least rush hours.

That why as compromise the (MTA) should use 30-foot buses on routes like the Q74 and other low usage lines especially weekends/late evenings etc. Another compromise would be to run it at least rush hours.

This idea has been raised many times before, yet nobody seems willing to answer some very basic questions...

- Should bus operators be paid less for driving a short bus? (Lots of folks forget, or pretend to forget, that the biggest expense is LABOR. No matter how small the bus is, somebody must be paid to drive it. Bus operators get a 25-cent-per-hour premium on runs with articulated buses, so it makes sense to pay slightly less for driving small buses.)

- Who will fund the purchase of the additional buses PLUS the additional parts inventory needed to support them PLUS the additional maintenance training?

Archived