R142A should be on the (3)

R32 3838

They shoulda done it by, whichever line had redbirds gets R142s, so the (2)(5) and (7) shoulda had most of them, with a few running on the (4) and (6)

(7) needs 11-car trains. Sure they could've inserted an extra car, but R62As already had single unit cars and I believe the (7) still had issues in the early 2000s with the R142 and the 3rd rail. That's why it made sense to send the R62As to the (7).

The (4) is busier than the (3). Ergo, it should utilize newer cars.

actually, if a line is busier it means that any potential issue on that line would result in massive amounts of displaced people. therefore, said line should run the most reliable equipment. note the difference between "the most reliable" and "newest".

actually, if a line is busier it means that any potential issue on that line would result in massive amounts of displaced people. therefore, said line should run the most reliable equipment. note the difference between "the most reliable" and "newest".

Agreed.

What about the (5)? It doesn't run the full-length of its route at night yet it still has the new trains. I am aware though that the (5) does OPTO at night which is why it had 20 cars of Pelham's R62As from last decade (damn, it's been that long) so I understand the use of it on the (5) but why not the (3) with the exceptions of G.O.'s?

If the (2) and (5) are both all-NTT, then changing from a (2) to a (5) or vice versa becomes much easier and saves on labor costs (changing rollsigns) at Flatbush Ave. It also makes service more flexible and reliable.

The (3) runs from 148 street to Times Square at night. And while you're right about the barn, that has not stopped the (MTA) from having yards with multiple fleets running, like Livonia which also stores the R142/As from the (2)(4) and (5) along with the (3)s R62s.

It may store R142/As but that doesn't necessarily mean that it services them. Even if it does service them then it's not on such a large scale as if the (3) ran an NTT fleet.

I thought the (3) ran 24/7 I knew I wasn't bugging B).Ok so what its a 2boro run the (E) runs NTT and that's a 2boro run,So does the (L),(Q),(W).As far as lines with NTT's.But its not a short run for the (3) it starts at the cut of the northeast part of Manhattan b\c the bridge to the Bronx is right there about a block or so away.But if this ever happens the (3) will be fine with R142A's.Kawasaki R62's run great so does the 142A's and they're both ass kickers so.I remember I caught a R142A (5) that ran from Bowling Green to 149 St Grand Concourse had the (4) train strip map.

The (E) and (L) are both ridiculously busy and carry a large amount of riders which is why they run NTT's. The (W) runs NTT's to increase operational flexibility at Ditmars Blvd. with (N)'s changing to (W)'s and vice versa. It makes sense to give the (Q) R160s because it will be able to operate under CBTC once the SAS opens.

I don't see why there would be any change in A Division car assignments until the (7) gets those additional B-cars (as some refer to as R-188s) if that is even in the works. There doesn't seem any need to change things around otherwise.

If the (7) were to get an all-NTT fleet then the R62A's would have to go somewhere.

There are 455 R142A's from (6) Westchester Yard. According to the MTA Plan 360 R142 or R142A's are going to the (7) for CBTC. If Westchester gives up 360 R142A's in return for all of the 409 R62A's in Corona Yard that leaves 95 to 100 R142A's in Westchester Yard. The (3) could gives up 100 R62 for R142A's and the (6) would be R62/A 100%.

There's no point going into specific numbers now when the order is still so far off into the future. Things can change at any moment.

Livonia doesn't repair any equipment, except the (3) line R62 (sadly, they do a crappy job on those). The trains have gotten better, but that is due to 207st overhaul shop upgrading braking components on those trains. Most T/O's will tell you, they hate those R62's on the (3) line, due to the unpredictable braking, and bucking every-time you take power (brakes take far to long to fully release). Again, due to 207st fixing and upgrading components on those trains, they have gotten better. If anything, Livonia Shop needs an overhaul itself, then maybe they can service their equipment the right way.........

It's that bad.......no telling how Livonia would treat R142A's if they were on the (3) then.

No one ever asks us T/O's about some trains, people just assume. I got to operate one of the 2 Bombardier R62A's that use to be on the (3). They are not there anymore. I though to myself, bout time, now I can operate a good predictable braking train. I was so wrong, I couldn't convince myself I was right. That POS was a true POS, and far, far worse than the, Kawasaki trains on the 3. That trains braking was unrealistically long. I was glad, I only got to operate the (3) line Bombs once, cause they were true Bombs (exploding types). I think Livonia is on the Toyota theme. Just keep em running, don't worry about em stoppin'............

The (3) can run Low-Vs for all I care, I just want for the (3) to stick to it's schedule better. Every morning, towards New Lots Ave, they always hold the incoming (3) at Utica Avenue for an express train that hasn't even arrived yet or hold the train for two arriving express trains, which then throws the train off schedule and I miss the B60.

That would explain why the 7th Avenue line seems to always have equipment troubles.

Wasn't the (6) predominantly redbirds?

The 6 was split R62As and Redbirds

It also makes sense to keep the current NTT assignments the way they are, because the R142/As have wider doors than the R62/As. Given the immense crowding on the Lex lines it makes sense to have cars with the local recycle feature (doors keep closing even if they are held) and wider doorways on the most crowded line in the system.

I noticed the (3) line equipment I had to get use to them its seem like the train operated like a R44 and R68A all in one. It wasn't the worst I operated just have to know how to handle them. Those R62 KAW belong on the (3) since its more or less a part time line even if it does run to Times SQ at night. The (5) needs R142 since equipment between (2)(5) services are switched all the time.

I ride the (7) everydat i dont see anything wrong with the 62s or 62as they are good cars that have aged exceptionally well. I think they should stay on the (3) because you cant change the (5) because it shares eqipment with the 2 and if you change the (5) to 62s you would have to change the (2) to the same equipment. I think the car assignments on the IRT are perfect.

I hate that the (3) looks like it gets the "hand me downs" like the (A) and (C) after they were originally supposed to have R142's. This would prove to be true if they get R142s instead of the future R62 replacement fleet.

Back in the 80s, the (2) was supposed to get the R62As. They were tested on the (2) in 1984. Seeing those shiny 62s on the (2) was a welcome changed from the graffiti-covered, poorly-maintained R15-33 cars (they never should have painted those cars white). But the (3) got the R62As instead, even though it was the part-time line and the (2) was the full-time line. So the (3) doesn't always get the hand-me-downs or the oldest cars. The (2) had the oldest cars in the fleet for years when the rehabbed R26-29 cars ran there. No Redbirds ran on the (3) in regular service, while they did run on the (4). So it made sense to put R142s on the (2) and (4) lines, lines that run 24 hours a day.

It also made sense to put R142s on the (5) because it shares substantial track miles and a Brooklyn terminal with the (2).

(3) would be the Kawasaki line w/ R62 and R142A's. The part time line would have the best of both worlds......

Well the (1) and (2) could trade - their problem solved.....joke, if only the (5) wasn't so closely attached to the (2) @ Brooklyn College and elsewhere.

Screw the (3). Put those R142s on the (1)

i dont think 240th shop can handle ntts

My FAther who drives the trains said thats exactly what it is! 240 cant handle them because on top of the train the AC unit pops up or something like that and 240 roof aint high enough to handle that. thats what i was told

My FAther who drives the trains said thats exactly what it is! 240 cant handle them because on top of the train the AC unit pops up or something like that and 240 roof aint high enough to handle that. thats what i was told

Well, what are they gonna do when the 62's go? :gasp: Fix the shop!

Archived