Bx12 fare beaters still ripping off MTA, despite launch of crackdown

St Louis Car 09

They're still stealing.

Nearly a year after the Daily News found flagrant fare-beating on an experimental "honor system" express bus line, riders are still ripping off the cash-strapped Metropolitan Transportation Authority, a Bronx Boro News investigation found.

After the first News exposé on rampant fare-beating on the Bx12 Select Bus Service along Fordham Road and Pelham Parkway, the MTA said it launched a crackdown.

But recent stakeouts by The News at a number of stops along the route found dozens of riders still brazenly boarding the buses, distinctive for their flashing blue lights, without first buying the required tickets at kiosks at the stops.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/bronx/2010/04/06/2010-04-06_untitled__b06bus.html#ixzz0kWUJMw3V

post-3217-133288581728_thumb.jpg

post-3217-133288581728_thumb.jpg

Another said, "I don't have enough money to feed my kids, and I'm going to pay for a ticket on a bus when no one checks whether I've bought one or not? Why should I?"

What a stupid ass lame excuse for not paying! If you can pay to get on a Non-SBS route and a subway, you can't pay to get on the fking +sbs only becuz there is no one checking the fare? While everyone else pays? So then don't ride the +SBS if no one is checking!! Use the Bx12 Local and walk for University hts bridge for manhattan or connect with Bx29/QBx1 for Co-Op City, geez!

Geez where are these FARE inspectors?? Last time i saw one was at Sedgwick and fordham in summer 2009 and never saw since..

What a stupid ass lame excuse for not paying! If you can pay to get on a Non-SBS route and a subway, you can't pay to get on the fking +sbs only becuz there is no one checking the fare? While everyone else pays? So then don't ride the +SBS if no one is checking!! Use the Bx12 Local and walk for University hts bridge for manhattan or connect with Bx29/QBx1 for Co-Op City, geez!

Geez where are these FARE inspectors?? Last time i saw one was at Sedgwick and Fordham in summer 2009 and never saw since..

I've never seen those inspectors on the hundreds of times I've riden SBS

Oh I saw it coming. They should just have an inspector at the two rear doors to check the tickets.

They don't do it like that, tehy have the inspector wait at one bus stop. Which is rarly, not everyday!

And someone wrote in another thread that it's possible to keep a receipt in your pocket and use the bus free until an inspector requests it.

But how? The receipt is only valid for a few hours and clearly marks the time and date.

BTW, must be a bit unnerving to be a fare inspector if a large percentage of people have not paid.

Last thursday, there was fare inspectors at Sedgwick Avenue w/b, about 5-7 of them, Had two to three people outside and two of them went inside the bus. This was during the PM hours. One issue I had was that since "students" had their student metrocards(of course, this was spring break for the students so they can't use there card anyway, but what does he know?) but not the tickets, he let them go and the fact that he looked at some people's tickets very closely but at others from a far (meaning that, for example, i was looking for a 12XX series bus, so I had two tickets from the same day riding SBS, I could but didn't, use an out of date ticket). If anything, if there was an inspector and officer outside to make sure that people running from the bus don't enter from the 2nd and 3rd door, along with cops to keep an eye on those keepin tryin to sneak in.

Select bus service is a speedy service, however I have some issues with it, really.

1. Fare inspectors do not check for receipts frequently.

2. The ticket machines sometimes do not work properly, leaving passengers wondering how they'll board the bus. They must notify the bus operator when this occurs. I've heard people not being able to obtain a ticket because the machine is broken.

3. Honesty: Are people really paying for this service or not?

I think fare inspectors need to check for tickets every time, not once in a blue moon.

Last thursday, there was fare inspectors at Sedgwick Avenue w/b, about 5-7 of them, Had two to three people outside and two of them went inside the bus. This was during the PM hours. One issue I had was that since "students" had their student metrocards(of course, this was spring break for the students so they can't use there card anyway, but what does he know?) but not the tickets, he let them go and the fact that he looked at some people's tickets very closely but at others from a far (meaning that, for example, i was looking for a 12XX series bus, so I had two tickets from the same day riding SBS, I could but didn't, use an out of date ticket). If anything, if there was an inspector and officer outside to make sure that people running from the bus don't enter from the 2nd and 3rd door, along with cops to keep an eye on those keepin tryin to sneak in.

Sedgwick avenue?!?! Thats the same bus stop West Bound I saw the fare inspectors (2 inside and 1 or 2 outside) during Summer 2009. Everytime (nowadays) I pass that stop during day, rush hour or evening, there is no inspector there.

So I don't get how the t/a catches farebeater along the Bx12+SBS.

I do remember a mother and her older son got pulled at that stop because the son "claimed" he lost the ticket.

Instead of having an inspector on every bus, they should have 2 at every stop (less needed in total).

Yea I agree, but the t/a doesn't have this type of money at all.

Also 2 is not enough for inspection, if there are fare beater on the bus while 2 inspectors check receipt then the fare beater would wind up leaving.

Plus, I think the reason why its set to a few stops and certain days is to prevent the +SBS from being delayed. When the fare inspector comes into the bus, the Bus Operator pulls the break handle and it doesn't go anywhere for almost 5min until everyone is checked.

Select bus service is a speedy service, however I have some issues with it, really.

2. The ticket machines sometimes do not work properly, leaving passengers wondering how they'll board the bus. They must notify the bus operator when this occurs. I've heard people not being able to obtain a ticket because the machine is broken.

I can imagine if anyones Metro Card got stuck in the +SBS Vending Machine.

Also 2 is not enough for inspection, if there are fare beater on the bus while 2 inspectors check receipt then the fare beater would wind up leaving.

The B/O checks the receipts of the people going through the front, the inspectors cover the middle and back doors. This has to be implemented at EVERY stop to be efficient. This way, nobody will get on the bus without a proper ticket.

2 x the amount of stops < the number of buses on the +SBS route, so it'll be cheaper.

Geez where are these FARE inspectors?? Last time i saw one was at Sedgwick and fordham in summer 2009 and never saw since..

MY version of "fare control" B)

melgibsonshotgun.jpg

no no, but the Bx12 SBS is a farebeater gathering ground due to the fact that tickets are checked once every million years. I have NEVER seen a fare inspection. .....but I still pay B)

If the B/O is going to check the receipts then they might as well have the conventional method of fare payment which is the Metrocard since any time savings would be negated.

It would be too confusing.

i.e. Everyone who goes through the middle or the back must pay before boarding. Everyone who goes through the front must pay while boarding.

:eek:

MY version of "fare control" B)

melgibsonshotgun.jpg

no no, but the Bx12 SBS is a farebeater gathering ground due to the fact that tickets are checked once every million years. I have NEVER seen a fare inspection. .....but I still pay B)

I heard that people buy one ticket in each direction and consider it their lifetime pass.

I heard that people buy one ticket in each direction and consider it their lifetime pass.

It's true. It's a damn shame, and I'm waiting for that moment when the cop pops out from under the floor and arrests people like that B)

Sadly, it's not surprising. There has to be some kind of law enforcement at all the stops along the route but you know that everyone and their mamas are crying "broke" right now. I can count with one hand the number of times I've seen Fare Inspectors on the route. But you know what? It'll affect service in other ways by them not paying the fare, like service cuts to the lines they need the most, like what we are going to experience in 2 months. It'll serve them right too.

Sadly, it's not surprising. There has to be some kind of law enforcement at all the stops along the route but you know that everyone and their mamas are crying "broke" right now. I can count with one hand the number of times I've seen Fare Inspectors on the route. But you know what? It'll affect service in other ways by them not paying the fare, like service cuts to the lines they need the most, like what we are going to experience in 2 months. It'll serve them right too.

Problem is, it'll serve everyone else wrong:tdown::tdown::tdown:

I know right!

Problem is, it'll serve everyone else wrong:tdown::tdown::tdown:

But that would be the sad reality of the situation. It's every reason why these buses need to be monitored much harder than they are so that the honest people like me and, hopefully, you as well don't have to pay by losing service because of them lazy ass bitches who don't pay the fare.

Archived