Questioning about the Q44

I Run Trains

First Thing I wanna say is Understand That bus is a Queens Route and it comes out of the Casey Stengel Depot.... But wouldnt it make more since for the MTA to Transfer the route to the West Farms Depot? Its Actually Closer to the Beginning of the route (in the bronx) than the Casey Stengel Depot is (The Middle of the Route in Flushing).

Everytime I was Head home, coming from Jamaica via bus i noticed the Q44 get packed very fast at the beginning of the route and its very annoying because the bus is packed all the way to the bronx....

So Since Casey Stengel doesnt have Articulated Buses, and the Bx19 IS THE ONLY ROUTE In the WEST FARMS DEPOT that operates on the Articulated bus (sometimes the Bx36, but there will be a few only on rush hour.) Wouldnt it be wiser to at least split the Q44 between the 2 depots so the Q44 could run the Articulated via the West Farms Depot. I think that would make everybody else ride a lil more comfortable that travels along the route.

One Driver On The Q44 told me that when west Farms opened back up that they was suppost to do that, but it never happened!

The artics used on the Bx36 are school trippers. Even though it's rare, artics have been used on the Bx15 and Bx17. That is when they have no "good" short buses, and need to get the drivers out. To be honest, some of the lines can do better, by starting at different depots. Kingsbridge should lose the Bx9, and that along with the Q44 should go to West Farms. Less deadhead time for both. The Bx9 does start at 225 when drivers do a pullout, but why do it part of a trip, when they could start a whole trip. Besides it would spread the artics out even more. They are alot to maintain, and Gun Hill along with Kingsbridge, has far more artics than short buses. The Bx40/42 was suppose to have come to West Farms this General, but it didn't happen. Lots of things are talk here. As a matter of fact if the Bx9 were to go to West Farms, KB could get either the Bx35, Bx36, Bx11, or two of them. If the Q44 stays a Stengel, they should get the some new artics, exclusively for the Q44.

The only problem I was told by Union hire ups, and a DOB Superintendent, was they sent artics there, and the drivers refused to drive them for $.25 more. MaBSTOA and 126st TA, got suckered into the artics. The others (Brooklyn TWU 100, and ATU who represent Queens and STI) said no, unless you pay us more to drive 20ft of extra bus. That is why there are none there.

Baisley Park is MTA Bus not NYCTA. That is the only non NYCTA with them so far.

The artics used on the Bx36 are school trippers. Even though it's rare, artics have been used on the Bx15 and Bx17. That is when they have no "good" short buses, and need to get the drivers out. To be honest, some of the lines can do better, by starting at different depots. Kingsbridge should lose the Bx9, and that along with the Q44 should go to West Farms. Less deadhead time for both. The Bx9 does start at 225 when drivers do a pullout, but why do it part of a trip, when they could start a whole trip. Besides it would spread the artics out even more. They are alot to maintain, and Gun Hill along with Kingsbridge, has far more artics than short buses. The Bx40/42 was suppose to have come to West Farms this General, but it didn't happen. Lots of things are talk here. As a matter of fact if the Bx9 were to go to West Farms, KB could get either the Bx35, Bx36, Bx11, or two of them. If the Q44 stays a Stengel, they should get the some new artics, exclusively for the Q44.

The only problem I was told by Union hire ups, and a DOB Superintendent, was they sent artics there, and the drivers refused to drive them for $.25 more. MaBSTOA and 126st TA, got suckered into the artics. The others (Brooklyn TWU 100, and ATU who represent Queens and STI) said no, unless you pay us more to drive 20ft of extra bus. That is why there are none there.

I Actually Saw an Artic on the Bx35 before, but like you said, there probably wasnt any good short buses left.

But about the Bx9, it would be smarter to bring it to west farms at the start of the route. I Used To Go The JFK High School In The Bx and we got off on 225 and broadway. Sometimes it would be Very Anoying to wait for the driver to relieve the other driver, or there will be 3 Bx9 Buses that last stop is at 225st. if it came out of West Farms, it would be a straight run.

But to Give Kingsbridge the 11, 35 or 36 would be putting those route further away from their routes. They would Have to Travel Up Broadway to 181st to pick up... (i remember those three route used to be with Kingsbridge before West Farms Opened Back up...)

There are a Lot Of routes that shoud Be with Different depots Like the Bx31 should go back to Gun Hill.

Question... i do Notice somethings, and i take it as Buses might be doing from one depot to another and didnt change the depot sticker, or a driver might be doing overtime from another depot like i remember one day i Saw the Bx1 On A West Farms artic, I Saw The Bx18, and Bx13 running on a West Farms Orion Hybrid which was interesting to me. i also Seen The Bx36 On a Gun Hill Artic,, but like i said could it be that it was overtime for those drivers or those buses (Not The Route) was switching Depots and didnt change the depot sticker..?

Everytime I was Head home, coming from Jamaica via bus i noticed the Q44 get packed very fast at the beginning of the route and its very annoying because the bus is packed all the way to the bronx....

I had to take the Q44 every day when I was in high school (2001 through 2005), and yes, every day, it was packed. I don't see why it can't use artics, and be routed out of the West Farms depot either (while the Q20/21 would remain at Stengel).

I Actually Saw an Artic on the Bx35 before, but like you said, there probably wasnt any good short buses left.

But about the Bx9, it would be smarter to bring it to west farms at the start of the route. I Used To Go The JFK High School In The Bx and we got off on 225 and broadway. Sometimes it would be Very Anoying to wait for the driver to relieve the other driver, or there will be 3 Bx9 Buses that last stop is at 225st. if it came out of West Farms, it would be a straight run.

But to Give Kingsbridge the 11, 35 or 36 would be putting those route further away from their routes. They would Have to Travel Up Broadway to 181st to pick up... (i remember those three route used to be with Kingsbridge before West Farms Opened Back up...)

There are a Lot Of routes that shoud Be with Different depots Like the Bx31 should go back to Gun Hill.

Question... i do Notice somethings, and i take it as Buses might be doing from one depot to another and didnt change the depot sticker, or a driver might be doing overtime from another depot like i remember one day i Saw the Bx1 On A West Farms artic, I Saw The Bx18, and Bx13 running on a West Farms Orion Hybrid which was interesting to me. i also Seen The Bx36 On a Gun Hill Artic,, but like i said could it be that it was overtime for those drivers or those buses (Not The Route) was switching Depots and didnt change the depot sticker..?

IIRC, there are a few runs that the Bx18 comes from West Farms. West Farms does not have hybrids, they have CNGs (note that the tank is larger than a hybrid tank).

West Farms does an X on the Bx18 during the evening rush. That bus is a Bx11 that goes as far as Grand Concourse/170st then becomes a Bx18. That bus is the last Bx18 for the night. West Farms now has a X on the Bx1. The driver and I are cool (he has just about much time on the job, as my age). He is a Bx19 driver (like I was last 3 picks), and his run after his huge break, he does a round trip X as a Bx1. Someone else could be doing it now, but the schedule stayed the same. As for the Gun Hill artic on the Bx19, if it was a white back, West Farms did lose three 5600 series buses (IIRC) for, 3 of Gun Hills white backs. I've seen the white backs on the Bx19, but with Farms stickers. Overtime comes from the depot, and only the depot the line comes from, drivers of that depot can do overtime from. Subway shuttles are the exception.

West Farms does an X on the Bx18 during the evening rush. That bus is a Bx11 that goes as far as Grand Concourse/170st then becomes a Bx18. That bus is the last Bx18 for the night. West Farms now has a X on the Bx1. The driver and I are cool (he has just about much time on the job, as my age). He is a Bx19 driver (like I was last 3 picks), and his run after his huge break, he does a round trip X as a Bx1. Someone else could be doing it now, but the schedule stayed the same. As for the Gun Hill artic on the Bx19, if it was a white back, West Farms did lose three 5600 series buses (IIRC) for, 3 of Gun Hills white backs. I've seen the white backs on the Bx19, but with Farms stickers. Overtime comes from the depot, and only the depot the line comes from, drivers of that depot can do overtime from. Subway shuttles are the exception.

got it!!!

• 11 months later...
First Thing I wanna say is Understand That bus is a Queens Route and it comes out of the Casey Stengel Depot.... But wouldnt it make more since for the MTA to Transfer the route to the West Farms Depot? Its Actually Closer to the Beginning of the route (in the bronx) than the Casey Stengel Depot is (The Middle of the Route in Flushing).

So Since Casey Stengel doesnt have Articulated Buses, and the Bx19 IS THE ONLY ROUTE In the WEST FARMS DEPOT that operates on the Articulated bus (sometimes the Bx36, but there will be a few only on rush hour.) Wouldnt it be wiser to at least split the Q44 between the 2 depots so the Q44 could run the Articulated via the West Farms Depot. I think that would make everybody else ride a lil more comfortable that travels along the route.

One Driver On The Q44 told me that when west Farms opened back up that they was suppost to do that, but it never happened!

ok... i had to go find this again because the crowding on the Q44 is Unbelievable!!!!!!! i got on the bus on 165st and the bus was PACKED by time it got to Hillside and Remained PACKED til it got to the Bronx!!!!!!

They Really Need to get artics on the Q44!!!!!:mad:

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Q44 is too crowded indeed! But would it be good for an artic to make a right turn @ Roosevelt av and Main st? Seems a little bit painful for the driver as the space is very limited.

That's a simple solution! Give it its original route back and instead of Turning right on Roosevelt, go str8 down Main like it used to and make the right on Northern! Problem Solved!

I also agree Articulated Bus on Q44. When I went to MTA Regional Public hearing long time ago discussing about MTA Bus, NYCT, LIB, I have to take overcrowded Q44 Hybrid, but I couldn't stand up on crowded bus, so I sit down on front thing, but b/o told me not to sit down there. I am not used to standing on overcrowded bus because my legs gets sleep easily and I have to sit down on aisle of Q44 LTD all the way to Kew Garden.

Also, at yesterday's proposal service, many speakers announcement every buses from Flushing are heavy used and they should not cut low ridership buses.

I have had to take the Q44 many times from my home in Jamaica to the last stop in the Bronx in order to get to work at 241 Street/White Plains Road. I board the bus at 5:35 am and can't get a seat. So, one day I figured that I'd try to beat the crowd so I left my house at 4:40 am. THE CROWDING WAS WORSE!!! It was so crowded that I couldn't see the interior lights...and I was boarding at the Grand Central Pkwy! AT 4:40 AM!!!!!!!

Fortunately my work at 241/WP is seasonal so I don't have to take the Q44 all the time which desperately needs artics. Plus, you can tell that the Q44 is a junior-seniority line by looking at all of the young drivers working it...can't say I blame the other drivers from avoiding the Q44 like the plague.

I can honestly say that the Q44 made me do one thing that I thought I wouldn't do...I bought a car. If I had to take that line every day, I'd become a raging alcoholic. Fortunately with my wheels, I will never take the Q44 again (thank you God.)

I seen Artics at 8PM and at noon so some aren't school trippers. ;)

Q44 is too crowded indeed! But would it be good for an artic to make a right turn @ Roosevelt av and Main st? Seems a little bit painful for the driver as the space is very limited.
Artics turn better than 40 footers, I know a driver who does the Bx12 local and he said it himself, it's because the front is 35ft and the back is 25ft.

I have had to take the Q44 many times from my home in Jamaica to the last stop in the Bronx in order to get to work at 241 Street/White Plains Road. I board the bus at 5:35 am and can't get a seat. So, one day I figured that I'd try to beat the crowd so I left my house at 4:40 am. THE CROWDING WAS WORSE!!! It was so crowded that I couldn't see the interior lights...and I was boarding at the Grand Central Pkwy! AT 4:40 AM!!!!!!!

Fortunately my work at 241/WP is seasonal so I don't have to take the Q44 all the time which desperately needs artics. Plus, you can tell that the Q44 is a junior-seniority line by looking at all of the young drivers working it...can't say I blame the other drivers from avoiding the Q44 like the plague.

I can honestly say that the Q44 made me do one thing that I thought I wouldn't do...I bought a car. If I had to take that line every day, I'd become a raging alcoholic. Fortunately with my wheels, I will never take the Q44 again (thank you God.)

I took it at 3:30AM, just to get a decent ride, too bad it's local but that's one of the few times I got a empty Q44 ride.

Yes, the Q44 Artic problem is with the turn. Even today, Q44's 'block the box'.

One important thing for the Q44-

Improve weekend Southbound frequencies! I see 3 northbounds per southbound. The (MTA) seems to think that it is a Bronx feeder route to Queens and short-turns some southbound trips at Flushing. In fact, the southern half to Jamaica is also heavily used, being the only limited from Flushing to Jamaica!

Improve weekend Southbound frequencies! I see 3 northbounds per southbound. The (MTA) seems to think that it is a Bronx feeder route to Queens and short-turns some southbound trips at Flushing. In fact, the southern half to Jamaica is also heavily used, being the only limited from Flushing to Jamaica!

Ah no its not problem with the turns....b/c if the Q113 local and Limited had Artics and they have navigated through Guy R. Brewer Blvd with tight turns onto and from Guy R. Brewer Blvd to/from Liberty Avenue. So can the Q44 with Main Street, Union Street and Parsons Blvd!

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Danger hiptop 4.6; U; rv:1.7.12) Gecko/20050920)

Ah no its not problem with the turns....b/c if the Q113 local and Limited had Artics and they have navigated through Guy R. Brewer Blvd with tight turns onto and from Guy R. Brewer Blvd to/from Liberty Avenue. So can the Q44 with Main Street, Union Street and Parsons Blvd!

True Story!

Thats what I thought before, but then I learned about how Artics are pretty much designed to take tight turns, for example, imagine an artic on the Q41 ( just a scenario ) turning onto 134th street @ 95th ave. That turn is tight like no tomorrow, hybrids, Vs and RTSs usually have to back up to make that turn. But both halves are the artic is 30FT each. So they will be able to make the turns with ease.

Even better scenario is the Artics on the Bx36. The tight right turn it makes on 174st near the (2) train station, they do it all the time with ease, this driver done floored it through the turn and all!

Even better scenario is the Artics on the Bx36. The tight right turn it makes on 174st near the (2) train station, they do it all the time with ease, this driver done floored it through the turn and all!

True story!!! I been on one!

Archived