"Budget for West Side extension of No. 7 train going off track, engineers warn."

Shortline Bus

The (7) extension shouldn't be a "five-star restaurant" project, given that it's only going to be a one-stop extension (originally two). So the costs shouldn't be shooting through the roof, especially at a time when the city and Albany are broke.

Blame Bloomberg for forcing this down the (MTA)s throat. Thats really the only thing that can be said.

How? Because the MTA is so freaking overzealous with their one-sided mentality??? The SAS is something that should have been finished YEARS ago! I could care less if the SAS is ever completer because from the looks of it, it'll be pushed further back, and back...and back, all the way to the end of time.

How can the (7) extension be a POS when it's serving a means to give people the option to get across Midtown from one side to another, not to mention, a few stations along the West Side of Manhattan as well? If you ask me, West Side workers and residents equally deserve a subway line/extension as much as the East Siders who want the SAS. Either way if the transportation sucks so much that you can't deal with it then you shouldn't be there.

That's my effed up 2 cents.

False; I use the Lexington Avenue Line quite often and I do understand it's crowded.

This is a case where the (MTA) is trying to juggle a bunch of things at once so I don't see where you get this "one-sided mentality" thing from. Constuction is happening on 2nd Ave and that's something that we should all be excited about as railfans. Hopefully, it won't stop like it did back in 1975. It's too important for it to stop due to all the people that one line will help that have to deal with the Upper East Side (since that's what's being worked on right now) and too many residents have been through hell because of the construction, so something better come up there this time.

They keep pushing back the date for the SAS because it's not as important in the (MTA) eyes due to the Mayor's backing of the (7) expansion. Hell, the mayor himself doesn't seem to care about the 2nd Ave Subway which bugs the shit out of me. Yes the residents of the Far West Side need subway service, I agree with you on that, but what they really need is a whole new line to really help the Far West Side, like a line on 10th or 11th Ave, since the neighborhood is growing. That will make it grow that much faster. Like I said, the (7) expansion, as of today, is only helping one area of the Far West Side. If they would at least put a shell at the 41st St and 10th Ave site so that they could eventually put a real station there, then that would work and the project would really be worthwhile to get excited about but as long as the city, state and the (MTA) won't be able to come together to make that happen, plenty of folks on the Far West Side will still take the bus or walk to the 8th Ave or any other line on the West Side like they've been doing. It's a half-assed job IMHO.

This is a case where the (MTA) is trying to juggle a bunch of things at once so I don't see where you get this "one-sided mentality" thing from. Constuction is happening on 2nd Ave and that's something that we should all be excited about as railfans. Hopefully, it won't stop like it did back in 1975. It's too important for it to stop due to all the people that one line will help that have to deal with the Upper East Side (since that's what's being worked on right now) and too many residents have been through hell because of the construction, so something better come up there this time.

They keep pushing back the date for the SAS because it's not as important in the (MTA) eyes due to the Mayor's backing of the (7) expansion. Hell, the mayor himself doesn't seem to care about the 2nd Ave Subway which bugs the shit out of me. Yes the residents of the Far West Side need subway service, I agree with you on that, but what they really need is a whole new line to really help the Far West Side, like a line on 10th or 11th Ave, since the neighborhood is growing. That will make it grow that much faster. Like I said, the (7) expansion, as of today, is only helping one area of the Far West Side. If they would at least put a shell at the 41st St and 10th Ave site so that they could eventually put a real station there, then that would work and the project would really be worthwhile to get excited about but as long as the city, state and the (MTA) won't be able to come together to make that happen, plenty of folks on the Far West Side will still take the bus or walk to the 8th Ave or any other line on the West Side like they've been doing. It's a half-assed job IMHO.

It's evident that the SAS is long overdue; I understand that 100%. The MTA is known for breaking promises, we know that, everyone sure as hell does. The SAS project is about to turn 100 in a matter of time, so that gives you 100 reasons to hate the city, and the MTA (be warned, they weren't around before the late 60s).

Seeing that the (7) line extension is newer and much young than the SAS project, without a doubt, that project will be done first, for sure. THEN I'd like to see where the SAS stands. It's not going to be ready by the time FTSC is even close to completion.

I'm for the SAS project, don't get me wrong, but I'm tired of broken promises.

It's evident that the SAS is long overdue; I understand that 100%. The MTA is known for breaking promises, we know that, everyone sure as hell does. The SAS project is about to turn 100 in a matter of time, so that gives you 100 reasons to hate the city, and the MTA (be warned, they weren't around before the late 60s).

Seeing that the (7) line extension is newer and much young than the SAS project, without a doubt, that project will be done first, for sure. THEN I'd like to see where the SAS stands. It's not going to be ready by the time FTSC is even close to completion.

I agree with your statement but lets not forget that the state has no more money and i have a feeling its going to be bankrupt so why doesn't President help funding with transit grants? and 2, i though the other phases didn't need any funding commitments.

The ironic thing is that the mayor lives on the Upper East Side and would benefit from the SAS. B)

Honestly, while the 7 extension would spur more economic growth, I don't see what the Mayor is thinking when he thinks the 7 extension is more useful. The areas around 2nd Avenue are much more deveoped than the areas on the West Side and already have the density to support a subway line.

Who isn't?

The ironic thing is that the mayor lives on the Upper East Side and would benefit from the SAS. B)

Didn't he say he'd ride the subway to work every day? What came of that? Honestly, while the 7 extension would spur more economic growth, I don't see what the Mayor is thinking when he thinks the 7 extension is more useful. The areas around 2nd Avenue are much more deveoped than the areas on the West Side and already have the density to support a subway line.

IAWTP.

all i got to say is the elected officials are good for nothing and just showing off to get paid, they really don't care for the people. i just hope that they rember its the people that choose them and the same people can veto them out.

They keep pushing back the opening dates for the ESA and SAS projects because of a lack of funding, not because they lack importance. The only reason the (7) extension is staying relatively on track (most of the tunnel has been bored already) is because the city paid for the full cost of the extension back in 2006/2007. It doesn't take this long to build the SAS and ESA projects, but money is the main reason. The dates kept getting pushed back in the capital programs because they had problems allocating funding for both projects. Otherwise both would be open in 2012 with the (7) extension. Since then the only funding issue has been with the 10th Ave. stop that I think seriously should be built if it is to spur economic development in the area (especially at a time like this).

I agree with your statement but lets not forget that the state has no more money and i have a feeling its going to be bankrupt so why doesn't President help funding with transit grants? and 2, i though the other phases didn't need any funding commitments.

The President does help with funding capital transit projects. The SAS has gotten at least $250 million (definitely more) from the stimulus package, and the Fulton St. Transit Center was saved completely because of stimulus money. Also, the $85 million TIGER grant that was passed recently was a state/federal (IDR) venture that provided funding to transit projects such as Moynihan Station. And of course the other phases need funding commitments, otherwise they won't get built. If you got that off of Wikipedia then that means that no funding commitments have been made.

Archived