Qatar diplomat smokes in plane bathroom; sets off nation-wide terror scare

Harry

A Mideast diplomat who set off a terror scare on a cross-country flight from Washington to Denver never meant to threaten anyone, his boss said Thursday.

Mohammed Al-Madidi was questioned and released after he lit a cigarette on a United Airlines flight Wednesday night.

Al-Madidi tried to sneak a quick smoke in the airplane bathroom, then he joked about lighting his shoe on fire in an apparent reference to the so-called 2001 "shoe-bomber" Richard Reid when others onboard noticed smoke seeping out from under the door.

Flight attendants called air marshals.

Two F-16 fighter jets scrambled to meet the plane and President Obama was notified as police, Homeland Security and the FBI raced to Denver International Airport.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2010/04/08/2010-04-08_qatar_diplomat_smokes_in_plane_bathroom_sets_off_nationwide_terror_scare_with_sh.html#ixzz0kWVZREFg

post-1-133288581725_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581725_thumb.jpg

I agree; the dude was an idiot for making a joke about the shoe bomber in the presence of a flight attendant who had no clue who he was. The smoking in the bathroom was stupid, but it is a pretty mundane kind of stupidity. Thus, I disagree with those of you who are calling him "savage" and suggesting he be locked up.

Al-Madidi tried to sneak a quick smoke in the airplane bathroom, then he joked about lighting his shoe on fire in an apparent reference to the so-called 2001 "shoe-bomber" Richard Reid when others onboard noticed smoke seeping out from under the door.

What a tool. He should think himself lucky actually - some dozy tart from Britain cracked that kind of 'joke' at Miami airport a couple of years ago and ended up spending some time in jail for it as I recall.

Archived