Subway Rating (out of 10)

I'd give it a 6 due to the wide spacing between trains as compared to European systems, lack of information for the passengers, filthy conditions, and the constant weekend service disruptions.

Definitely agree, although round-the-clock service and express trains hike it up to a 7.5 in my book. (I'm sure you've had your share of getting stranded in European cities at night when the metro stops running... not fun.)

Besides, the system and its history are a lot more complicated than "planned" European systems found anywhere from Madrid to Moscow, so it can be difficult to compare.

Definitely agree, although round-the-clock service and express trains hike it up to a 7.5 in my book. (I'm sure you've had your share of getting stranded in European cities at night when the metro stops running... not fun.)

Besides, the system and its history are a lot more complicated than "planned" European systems found anywhere from Madrid to Moscow, so it can be difficult to compare.

I've always made sure to be back to the hotel before service ended and I'd be forced on to the night bus.

Realistically speaking, is 24 hour service worth dealing with the mind-numbing weekend service changes? IMO, certain lines can be bustituted at night between Midnight and 5:30 am. I'm sure that our B/O friends facing layoffs wouldn't mind working one of those.

I've always made sure to be back to the hotel before service ended and I'd be forced on to the night bus.

Realistically speaking, is 24 hour service worth dealing with the mind-numbing weekend service changes? IMO, certain lines can be bustituted at night between Midnight and 5:30 am. I'm sure that our B/O friends facing layoffs wouldn't mind working one of those.

Bustituted - be careful that the (MTA) board of directors doesn't sue you for taking an idea that they never had in the first place. ;)

The 24-hour service seems to be a great disservice on certain lines and at certain stations. Bus shuttling/service shortening/station closing is definitely a decent idea.

What about overnight skip-stop service at busy stations?

NYCT can be knocked for the aging infrastructure, station conditions, service disruptions, lack of tourist-friendliness, sometimes-inconvenient G.O.'s and the incessant "Woe is us" cries of management and the Board, especially when compared to other systems in the world. However, the MoW and RTO crews do a damn good job of keeping us moving, and they deserve more than the 7.92 that I give them (points were deducted for what's entirely out of your hands, Men and Women - conditions, disruptions, G.O.'s, etc.). Shaving staff and services are only going to complicate things at every end, and I wouldn't be surprised if the budget gap isn't closed by much, if at all.

• 2 weeks later...

9.75/10

*24/7 Service

*Express Service

*One Zone Fare

*Nice outdoor run over Jamaica Bay with a stop on an island in the middle;

*Nice outdoor run between Dyre Avenue and East 180th Street, complete with interesting station architecture.

*Serves three boroughs on islands; one borough on mainland

*Despite unification and number and letter code, keeps alive original terms such as I.R.T., B.M.T., IND., The West End, Brighton, Sea Beach, Culver, Fourteenth Street-Canarsie Line, etc.

*Unique stretches such as CPW where the line is two levels and all stations are on the west side of the avenue between 72d Street and Cathedral Parkway-110th Street.

7.5/10. The system we have right now is adequate. The (MTA) is working to fix the current shortfalls in the system but right now it isn't working as it should be. The funding is a major problem with the agency on both city and state levels. Rush hour service is good but still subpar at times, where you often have to wait for trains longer than you should be (i.e. 7 minutes at Woodside with no (7)s or <7>s passing through, when they run a a combined headway of 2:30; waiting 5 minutes at Roosevelt Ave. for an (E) or (F) when the combined headway is 2:30) rather commonly during rush hour. It will get better in the long term as the (MTA) continues to invest in their system, but until they find a stable funding source and fix basic levels of service (through signal modernization, less timers, faster trains, system expansion, etc.) then this system will truly improve.

Archived