Pregant Woman Ticketed While Searching for Subway Seat

They get commission for the summons they issue... So it means more $ for the cop who gave her the summons.

I don't think the cop gets a commission. Don't they just have to meet a quota

of a certain number of summonses issued?

I do feel sympathy towards that woman. True rules are rules but you have to think as if you were in her shoes. What if you were tired and had a big weight in your belly? For all we know, she was standing since 242nd Street and nobody gave her a seat or maybe she just walked up and down stairs to transfer and the pain of moving the baby's weight just got to her.

I still don't get why the cop didn't ticket the people in the seats. Just like it is a law to stay in the car, isn't it a law to give your seat up to somebody who is handicapped or diasabled? That would've been more money or that many fewer infractions he would have to find.

Exact, but if someone in their family gets a ticket, its a whole big thing, and you know that ticket will dissapear faster than forest glenn running from a barking dog. But anyway Cops do what they want to do.

LOL!!!! Epic win :tup:

I will say this: the people that didn't give up a seat for her in the first place should be ashamed of themselves. This is where cameras on the trains would be great. I'm sure she could use the video to get them to pay for her ticket.

This of course doesn't excuse ignorance for crossing b/w cars though. Worse comes worse she can wait for the next train if she really needs a seat that bad.

I can understand why everyone is basically attacking her. Ok, she did cross betweens cars, but who hasn't. I dont want to be the one to say it, but its just like a guy to say things like "she deseves it","i don't feel bad for her" or "pregnancy is no excuse". You do not know what it is like to be a woman let alone a PREGNANT WOMAN IN NYC ! As a woman living here let me tell you that no one gives up their seat to any pregnant woman AT ALL. She was just trying to find a seat! Put yourself in her shoes (which she is probably tired of walking in anyway). I am pretty sure you guys would have said practically the same thing... if you live in NYC then your bound to have a situation like this. we need more people that are considerate.

I just think that cop should have given her a break. They've probably haven't had that experience anyway.

People should give up their seats to elderly, disabled, AND even pregnant women. the cop should have given tickets to all in the priority seating instead of or including her as well.

sorry to upset anyone just wanted to express my opinion and feelings about this situation.

I offer to give up my seat all the time but hey, if they choose not to take me up on my offer that's on them. They think you trying to hit on them by offering your seat or something.

I offer to give up my seat all the time but hey, if they choose not to take me up on my offer that's on them. They think you trying to hit on them by offering your seat or something.

Its a great conversation maker..but then the give you dirty looks.

I will say this: the people that didn't give up a seat for her in the first place should be ashamed of themselves. This is where cameras on the trains would be great. I'm sure she could use the video to get them to pay for her ticket.

This of course doesn't excuse ignorance for crossing b/w cars though. Worse comes worse she can wait for the next train if she really needs a seat that bad.

no way, half the time im on the train my eyes are closed! thats why the law says only if the person asks for a seat. im sure she didnt ask anybody

no way, half the time im on the train my eyes are closed! thats why the law says only if the person asks for a seat. im sure she didnt ask anybody

She said in the article that she didn't want to ask anyone.

It's interesting how everyone says the cop should have a heart. A cop with a heart should not be expected from people as much as a law enforcer who will enforce the laws made and approved by the government. A cop with a heart is a blessing. If all cops have a heart, what would this city become?

I am not against this woman, and I have not the capacity to walk in her shoes, but sooner or later, she willfully made the choice to break the rules. If one chooses to break a rule, then one must be prepared to pay the price for their actions, regardless of the circumstances. If you get a cop who gives a warning, consider yourself blessed and learn your lesson.

Not always the case. When my co-worker was pregnant she said someone only gave up a seat once. I see people try to ignore a pregnant women standing all the time. (And before you ask, no I'm not one of those people who will do that)

That's because 2/3 of people are f***ing a**holes.

That said, still no excuse to go between cars.

You get back at them when those f***sticks get old and ask YOU for a seat and you tell them no.

I can understand why everyone is basically attacking her. Ok, she did cross betweens cars, but who hasn't. I dont want to be the one to say it, but its just like a guy to say things like "she deseves it","i don't feel bad for her" or "pregnancy is no excuse". You do not know what it is like to be a woman let alone a PREGNANT WOMAN IN NYC ! As a woman living here let me tell you that no one gives up their seat to any pregnant woman AT ALL. She was just trying to find a seat! Put yourself in her shoes (which she is probably tired of walking in anyway). I am pretty sure you guys would have said practically the same thing... if you live in NYC then your bound to have a situation like this. we need more people that are considerate.

I just think that cop should have given her a break. They've probably haven't had that experience anyway.

People should give up their seats to elderly, disabled, AND even pregnant women. the cop should have given tickets to all in the priority seating instead of or including her as well.

sorry to upset anyone just wanted to express my opinion and feelings about this situation.

i dont agree with you(about her being cut a break)........i dont think she she be cut any slack because of her being pregnant...if ANYTHING it would be more of a reason not to go walking between the cars.....god forbid the train is moving and she falls?

also the cop cant be selective if someone is breaking the law.....

she clearly deserves the ticket and when she has the baby shower and she gets 75 bucks in one of those cards, she should send it to the T.A.B located downtown brooklyn........

i dont agree with you(about her being cut a break)........i dont think she she be cut any slack because of her being pregnant...if ANYTHING it would be more of a reason not to go walking between the cars.....god forbid the train is moving and she falls?

also the cop cant be selective if someone is breaking the law.....

she clearly deserves the ticket and when she has the baby shower and she gets 75 bucks in one of those cards, she should send it to the T.A.B located downtown brooklyn........

Yes they can, it's called discretion. It happens all the time when people get a warning instead of a speeding ticket. Also, walking between cars is NOT against the law, it is a violation of transit rules.

they should lock the doors then. Cops don't have to be dicks all the time.

Locking the end doors on 50' and 60' cars is extremely dangerous, they have to e opened with a key at every door unlike the doors on 75 cars which can all be unlocked for any cab on the train. If something happened, people would be trapped in the cars. In the R160s the end doors on B cars and the #2 end on A cars don not lock.

Even if they had camera on the trains they wouldn't waste their time to ID the people who didn't give up their seat.

Anyway,it's wrong what she did,but the cop could've gave her a warning....''hey,they do that again especially when you're pregnant"the poor lady could've had a panic attack and pass out on platform just because she didn't want the ticket.I know the cop doesn't want that in his hands.The cop will feel bad about the whole situation and it will be another law suit against the NYPD.

If passing through the cars is that serious (even though ppl do it 100 of times a day..and we hear of accidents rarely...) then they just need to lock all the end doors...and if its some sort of technology thing, then why don't the R-142's or R-160's have the feature where all the doors can be locked/unlocked from the cab?? Whats the point of having them open if no one is suppose to EVER pass through them, its for emergencies only shouldn't they be equipped with some sort of sound alarm?? As for her getting a ticket, I won't comment on weather I think it was right or wrong, because I'm pretty sure my opinion would be a bit biased. I will say I can think of a few "rules" that ppl break on the daily basis..but since were all saints here on nyc transit forums im sure everyone abides by the American and NY Law system 100% and faithfully every day and has never done any type of wrong or "against the rules activity" in their life such as j-walked,ran in a hallway..etc. Further more its pathetic no one would get up for a pregnant woman, but it doesn't suprise me. I remember once I offered my seat to a pregnant woman, and she defensively rejected (idk why). ooo the woes of life.

we go from a rather simple story of a pregnant woman getting ticketed for violating a rule to this.........?

the poor lady could've had a panic attack and pass out on platform just because she didn't want the ticket.I know the cop doesn't want that in his hands.The cop will feel bad about the whole situation and it will be another law suit against the NYPD.

panic attacks... traumatized officers... law suits... LOL!

there is so many things wrong with that scenario, that i can't help but laugh. it's not as funny as the fact that someone actually typed it up though. :confused:

p.s. if i got a ticket for jaywalking or crossing between cars, i'd suck it up and pay the ticket. not run to the media and use my pregnancy (or lack thereof in my case) as an excuse of entitlement to not pay. THAT is where the problem lies. no one is pretending to be an angel here.

She said in the article that she didn't want to ask anyone.

Then she definitely deserves the ticket.

I have knee problems. I am frequently just fine walking, but trying to "surf" on a train is very difficult because all the weight shifting is in the knees. So what do I do? I ask for a seat. I have to, because I don't look disabled, and otherwise nobody would know.

Is it polite to give up your seat when you see someone who needs it? Of course. Are you obligated to? Not if they don't ask.

we go from a rather simple story of a pregnant woman getting ticketed for violating a rule to this.........?

panic attacks... traumatized officers... law suits... LOL!

there is so many things wrong with that scenario, that i can't help but laugh. it's not as funny as the fact that someone actually typed it up though. :confused:

p.s. if i got a ticket for jaywalking or crossing between cars, i'd suck it up and pay the ticket. not run to the media and use my pregnancy (or lack thereof in my case) as an excuse of entitlement to not pay. THAT is where the problem lies. no one is pretending to be an angel here.

you don't think that couldn't happen to her??she could've have a history of it.you don't know how some people react to simplest of things...I'll end it there.

Archived