Orion VII "NG"

East New York

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It just doesn't make sense. They don't really need new Artics, what they need is something to replace those God forsaken ex-CAS buses. I'm tired of sitting on the Bx3 or Bx10 and listening to screeching fanbelts, Even the 8800's were better then what they have now. When will we know who gets what?

Hopefully I will know something soon! The suspense is killing me. Tomorrow I will be calling my guy at Orion for a monthly update on the progress of the buses. I don't see why KB wont be getting at least some O7's, but it doesn't look like they are 1st on the list. I bet if KB does get more 40 footers anytime soon they will be hand-me-downs. But I do agree that KB needs new buses BAD!!!!

So here is an update, although not too informative. (MTA) Brass is up in Oriskany at the Orion plant doing the audit testing on Bus #1. At this time it looks as everything is on track for first delivery in August. The second bus has started pre-assembly, and is due to be complete April 28th. Still no word on which depots they are going to, but rumor has it the #'s will be 1110-1854. For MTAB, the numbers will be 3784-3887.

I'm praying it passes inspection and goes to KB. They're in desperate need of some new buses.

Before I leave out of there, I would love to drive a new bus. The newest thing I ever drove was the Orion VII CNG, and that was out of West Farms. If KB gets the NG buses (I'm hoping they do), I think alot of artic lines would open up. The senior cats will want to drive the new buses. The Orion VII does have the most comfortable area for the driver. Steering wheel isn't massive, seats goes back far, and has a huge drivers storage bin. But as the depot union chair said, "800 new buses are due to come in, and most likely they will go to Manhattan, while we get their crap". I'm hoping to pick on a 40ft line Thursday. Since the KB RTS's are gone, I don't mind going to a 40ft line now. .25 cents extra per hour ain't worth, 120 people and a 60ft bus.

It just doesn't make sense. They don't really need new Artics, what they need is something to replace those God forsaken ex-CAS buses. I'm tired of sitting on the Bx3 or Bx10 and listening to screeching fanbelts, Even the 8800's were better then what they have now. When will we know who gets what?

I love that sound. Sounds like mice getting caught and ground up in the belts. I'm tired of the rattling, and the high steps. HF are better, but the majority of our customers seem to have step climbing problems.

As for the artics, we do need plenty more. The Bx9, Bx1/2, and sometimes Bx55 and Bx41, has to run 40fters due to lack of artic buses. The M100 suppose to become artic, and now they can be found there, including Sundays, when plenty of 40fter buses are available for Sundays. We need more 60fters, and new 40fters. We have taken too much of others crap, and need to be rewarded for this. The maintenance guys here need a break. The drivers need a break also. You know it's bad when the shifters complain about the buses, and they only drive them on the lot.....

MORE CRAP!!!! I do not care what orion says their 07's are the worst bus they ever bult, The 05 are way better and they wan to stop making those buses !!!! Orion is going to loose big money!!!!!

Almost every maker is getting out of the HF market. LF is the future of buses. Bee-Line has their last batch of HF for local buses. They want LFs to replace the 400series Orion V, which are increasingly showing up on short haul southern routes now (2, 42, 25, 30, etc). Orion just needs to do something about the shocks and air bellows, for NYCTA. Bee-Lines Orion VII rides unbelievably smooth. NYCTAs Orion VII ride like crap, due to the abuse they take on the streets of NYC. I drove the CNGs on the Bx6, and I might have gotten 2 that rode smooth. Most go bang in the craters of NYC. Also the cheap rims NYCTA puts on them buses needs to change. Hopefully these problems were addressed and taken care of in the new model.

Almost every maker is getting out of the HF market. LF is the future of buses. Bee-Line has their last batch of HF for local buses. They want LFs to replace the 400series Orion V, which are increasingly showing up on short haul southern routes now (2, 42, 25, 30, etc). Orion just needs to do something about the shocks and air bellows, for NYCTA. Bee-Lines Orion VII rides unbelievably smooth. NYCTAs Orion VII ride like crap, due to the abuse they take on the streets of NYC. I drove the CNGs on the Bx6, and I might have gotten 2 that rode smooth. Most go bang in the craters of NYC. Also the cheap rims NYCTA puts on them buses needs to change. Hopefully these problems were addressed and taken care of in the new model.

NYCT needs to go back to the Alcoa rims, but they don't want to pay for them.

Before I leave out of there, I would love to drive a new bus. The newest thing I ever drove was the Orion VII CNG, and that was out of West Farms. If KB gets the NG buses (I'm hoping they do), I think alot of artic lines would open up. The senior cats will want to drive the new buses. The Orion VII does have the most comfortable area for the driver. Steering wheel isn't massive, seats goes back far, and has a huge drivers storage bin. But as the depot union chair said, "800 new buses are due to come in, and most likely they will go to Manhattan, while we get their crap". I'm hoping to pick on a 40ft line Thursday. Since the KB RTS's are gone, I don't mind going to a 40ft line now. .25 cents extra per hour ain't worth, 120 people and a 60ft bus.

You don't mind going back to a 40ft line now that the RTS's are gone??? Whats that supposed to mean huh? Don't get jacked up talkin bout my bus now! :D

MORE CRAP!!!! I do not care what orion says their 07's are the worst bus they ever bult, The 05 are way better and they wan to stop making those buses !!!! Orion is going to loose big money!!!!!

Most HF's are built better than LF's. But it looks as if the NG O7's may be a little better built than the 1st gen O7's. As far as money goes, the only way they will lose it is if they keep the O5 in production. HF sales are slim to none. O7 sales are strong, not to mention the hybrids cost almost twice what a diesel bus does. They currently have $600 million worth of hybrid orders. That doesn't even include the CNG or diesel buses on order! :eek:

You don't mind going back to a 40ft line now that the RTS's are gone??? Whats that supposed to mean huh? Don't get jacked up talkin bout my bus now! :D

You can have em'. Those are the culprits of having to be shut off after being knelt down, with a full load. Good riddance to them..........

MTA Casleton Hawk of TransitStuff

8401 - 8565 RTS's will be Yukon bound my Mid May. All Yukons current fleet expect for the dozen or so D.O.T. ID # Buses for the S89 will be sent to other garages and 8401-8565 will come into Yukon until the O7 delivery at which time buses # 8401-8565 will be scrapped. Not sure about Castleton but I'll be asking around when I go in on Tuesday.

:confused:

This is what he posed on one of my threads today. So it looks as if Staten Island will definitely be getting some O7's! Here's where most of these buses currently are housed. I wonder if this means MAN, FLA, and GA will be getting NG O7's?

Manhattanville

1993 TMC RTS-06: 8442, 8445, 8452, 8458-8459, 8461-8467, 8469-8475, 8477-8478

1994 TMC RTS-06: 8483, 8485-8495, 8497-8499, 8501-8505, 8508-8509, 8512-8517, 8562-8565

Flatbush

1993 TMC RTS-06: 8401-8439, 8441, 8443-8444, 8446-8451, 8453-8457, 8460, 8468

1994 TMC RTS-06: 8486, 8507, 8560

Grand Av.

1994 TMC RTS-06: 8518-8559, 8561

• 2 weeks later...
MTA Casleton Hawk of TS

6845 was at the corner of Bay Street and Victory Blvd, early this morning are 6:00am along with officals from DOT and MTA Planning and a Road Truck, and a observation van from Diamler Chrysler. They were testing the right rear end of the bus relative to the corner where it appears the rear end bottoms out severly and then cannot get up the hill on Victory Blvd. I sat around and watched for about 20 minutes and they did at least 8 or 9 test runs just on the 1 corner, then came along 6666 with something attached to the rear of the bus and it made turn correctly without bottoming out. It appears to be somesort of leveling sensor that keeps the right rear from dropping to far. They were also testing along richmond terrace from Rector St. to Broadway with certain measurements and kneeling functions. One thing of intrest was how severly this bus bottoos out making that turn and after that the bus loses it power. When I came back around their at 8:37 they were gone not sure if they went to another part of the island, or if they were done. These buses had decals for their respective depot ENY/ MHV.

Re-confirmation that SI may be on the list for NG's.

:confused:

This is what he posed on one of my threads today. So it looks as if Staten Island will definitely be getting some O7's! Here's where most of these buses currently are housed. I wonder if this means MAN, FLA, and GA will be getting NG O7's?

Manhattanville

1993 TMC RTS-06: 8442, 8445, 8452, 8458-8459, 8461-8467, 8469-8475, 8477-8478

1994 TMC RTS-06: 8483, 8485-8495, 8497-8499, 8501-8505, 8508-8509, 8512-8517, 8562-8565

Flatbush

1993 TMC RTS-06: 8401-8439, 8441, 8443-8444, 8446-8451, 8453-8457, 8460, 8468

1994 TMC RTS-06: 8486, 8507, 8560

Grand Av.

1994 TMC RTS-06: 8518-8559, 8561

Does this mean Manhattanville will receive Orion 5 buses and the good RTS buses? I can't wait for them to show up.

• 3 weeks later...

So here's an update on the progress of the Orion VII NG's. First of all, the first prooduction bus off the line did not pass the MTA's audit inspection, so Daimler will have to work on the changes that need to take place. The next bus is set to be complete on May 5th, but this now depends on Orion getting the first bus right. Also, at this time it looks as if Staten Island will not be getting any NG's any time in the near future. The TA recently tested 2 O7's in Staten Island, and they did not pass the street tests because of bottoming out. I will be calling my guy from Orion tomorrow morning to get more updates.

Well we need more newer buses in here. This is how the 400-600series look under all the paint:

cid__0420081618.jpg

That's why they are so loud when hitting potholes. The frame is rusted through. Just click to see the larger pic, and you will see the holes. The 6000 series are the quietest buses in KB. The artics are loud also. This includes the 5600-5700series.

So I just talked to my guy at Orion, and he said that even though the first production bus did not pass MTA's audit inspection, they are still on track to begin delivery on time in late summer. In fact he said that the first production bus has never passed an inpection the first time around, so this is normal. The second bus is still set to roll off the assembly line on May 5th, and at that point they will have worked in most if not all modifications that MTA is requiring. There are 16 TA engineers up in Oriskany to oversee the progress of the buses. So for now nothing has really changed, and I will have another update on May 6th.

Well we need more newer buses in here. This is how the 400-600series look under all the paint:

cid__0420081618.jpg

That's why they are so loud when hitting potholes. The frame is rusted through. Just click to see the larger pic, and you will see the holes. The 6000 series are the quietest buses in KB. The artics are loud also. This includes the 5600-5700series.

LOL only at KB. If you get the chance within the next day or 2 check out #674. nice rear lcd, clean windows, no screeching fanbelts. It's perfect except for the pole swinging like a pendulum in the middle of the bus whenever it makes a turn. At this point, all i can pray for is KB getting the 1st NG O7's.

LOL only at KB. If you get the chance within the next day or 2 check out #674. nice rear lcd, clean windows, no screeching fanbelts. It's perfect except for the pole swinging like a pendulum in the middle of the bus whenever it makes a turn. At this point, all i can pray for is KB getting the 1st NG O7's.

Wishful thinking, because KB won't be getting any NG's any time soon. It would be nice if they did, but it's like a 5% chance that will happen.

KB's buses stay on a tow and breaking down. I had one today, when I knelt it, it wouldn't go back up. That meant the interlock wouldn't disengage, so I had to cut the bus off, then turn it back on (like the RTSs). I just stop kneeling it. On top of that heat was blowing in instead of A/C. It was just hot in this bus (yes the climate control was off at this point).

The second bus I got, everything was alright until my last trip. Then the stop requested sign stop working. The ding could still be heard though. Luckily, we get an indication on the dashboard also. Kingsbridge.......home of the dawgs. I had a Amsterdam depot operator comment a few days ago about the raggedy buses we have. Sounds like they are falling apart. Rust all around the roof, and as you can see, the sides. Here we don't wonder if we will break down. We just ask ourselves, when will we break down. It's just a matter of time.