Orion VII "NG"

East New York

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn, not that kneeling problem again. I don't know how many times I was late going someplace because of that.

Knowing KB they'll do the training the night before their 1st NG O7 arrives. Someone has to know where these buses are going though. The suspense is killing me. Like if I can find out where they're going I'll be content with the crap MTA is running now.

Since I work the M100 now, I see alot of Hybrids on the M60. I have noticed that the engine doesn't sound as good as it use to be. They sound like they are truly struggling now, when accelerating. I'm sometimes directly behind them, and they just cry. It doesn't sound right. The ones on the M1 though, sound like they usually sound. Maybe it's the H'way speeds with the heavy load (they bees packed I say). Maybe it's to much stress on the engine. Me thinks it's time for another bus swap, to give those MTV Hybrids a break from the heavy work.

• 3 weeks later...

So the #2 Orion NG bus is complete. We now have to wait and see if it passes tha TA's inspection (which im sure the TA already knows), or if we have to wait again. If this bus does not pass, there will be one more due off the assembly line on May 26. At this time the bus needs to be right, to ensure an on schedule delivery this summer.

Speaking of Hybrid, 6695 was in KB paint shop, being painted for the pass few days. Level II it is now. I doubt I need training, since I drove the Orion VII CNG. Same bus different propulsion.....

Yeah, you're good to go. The O7NG is almost identical under the body to the 1st Gen O7.

Speaking of Hybrid, 6695 was in KB paint shop, being painted for the pass few days. Level II it is now. I doubt I need training, since I drove the Orion VII CNG. Same bus different propulsion.....

Now the million dollar question: Is 6695 going to stay at KB long enough for driver's training?

Little off topic but are they re-repainting the 99 O5's? Saw 6249 and 6296 looking like they got a new coat of paint recently.

Can't wait to ride the NGO7's.

Now the million dollar question: Is 6695 going to stay at KB long enough for driver's training?

Little off topic but are they re-repainting the 99 O5's? Saw 6249 and 6296 looking like they got a new coat of paint recently.

Good question about the driver training. And yes about 95% of the '99 O5's have already been repainted. About 50% of those are whitebacked.

6296 is a great bus to drive. Lots of power. 6695 is now gone, and an Orion V is in the redone paint shop now. Some of the 99 Orions at KB had been repainted, and now they look like sh!t again.......I understand why we get crap here. But all depots has this problem......

I don't know if I was clear, but what I was asking was if those 2 buses were repainted a 2nd time? because when they 1st got to KB they were sporting a new coat of paint, went to pieces and now they are missing all ads and look like they got a new paint of coat.

I noticed whenever KB starts repainting buses they leave, 8800's got spruced up a little before leaving, the 6000's went whiteback then to CAS, next the 5700's to GH for the BRT. You can always tell if KB is about to lose a bus by how fresh it looks.

And thats just messed up sending 6695 to KB to be repainted. Tease the mechanics and drivers about buses they'll never see in that depot. Maybe it's just me hating the 95-96 O5's but do the drivers complain about why KB doesn't have any O7's?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anybody know which depot the first O7NG bus will be at?

Rumor has it First 30 go to Yukon, but the 1st Gen O7 didn't do too well in Staten Island.

I don't know if I was clear, but what I was asking was if those 2 buses were repainted a 2nd time? because when they 1st got to KB they were sporting a new coat of paint, went to pieces and now they are missing all ads and look like they got a new paint of coat.

I noticed whenever KB starts repainting buses they leave, 8800's got spruced up a little before leaving, the 6000's went whiteback then to CAS, next the 5700's to GH for the BRT. You can always tell if KB is about to lose a bus by how fresh it looks.

And thats just messed up sending 6695 to KB to be repainted. Tease the mechanics and drivers about buses they'll never see in that depot. Maybe it's just me hating the 95-96 O5's but do the drivers complain about why KB doesn't have any O7's?

Yeah, lots of buses have been repainted more than once. For example, 6695 is back to being a blackback again.

Progress update: The 3rd production Orion VII for MTA rolls off the assembly line on Monday. Looks as if the second bus off the line passed inspection, but still needs some work according to the MTA. This should be worked into the 3rd bus. These buses are black backed, and will be delivered that way. I will have a more detailed update Monday, when the next bus is complete. Looks like the first 120 could be delivered this year.

Rumor has it First 30 go to Yukon, but the 1st Gen O7 didn't do too well in Staten Island.

Yeah, lots of buses have been repainted more than once. For example, 6695 is back to being a blackback again.

Progress update: The 3rd production Orion VII for MTA rolls off the assembly line on Monday. Looks as if the second bus off the line passed inspection, but still needs some work according to the MTA. This should be worked into the 3rd bus. These buses are black backed, and will be delivered that way. I will have a more detailed update Monday, when the next bus is complete. Looks like the first 120 could be delivered this year.

Well, there seems to be a pic of said bus on buschat. I'm looking forward to actually riding one of these buses instead of just discussing it. As long as it ends up on a route I take aka KB or QV. http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=97863

Well, there seems to be a pic of said bus on buschat. I'm looking forward to actually riding one of these buses instead of just discussing it. As long as it ends up on a route I take aka KB or QV. http://www.subchat.com/buschat/read.asp?Id=97863

Thats the first pic i've seen of one. It definitely looks blackbacked.

I wish some coach looking buses would be used on local bus routes too. Express buses get to use the all-fancy looking buses. The Orion VII's and the New Flyer Articulated buses are great. I wish it was used by MTA bus company for its Queens routes.(NYCT)

I wish some coach looking buses would be used on local bus routes too. Express buses get to use the all-fancy looking buses. The Orion VII's and the New Flyer Articulated buses are great. I wish it was used by MTA bus company for its Queens routes.(NYCT)

Which buses are you talking about MTA Bus using? MCI's on local routes?

Which buses are you talking about MTA Bus using? MCI's on local routes?

That's right the MCI coach buses on local routes in Queens would be cool in addition to some RTS, Orion and New Flyer ones, if the Queens local routes were very long.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as you all know, the 3rd production bus has been completed, and yet again, it's has failed MTA's audit inspection. It's appears to be a technical problem that Orion has yet to get right. This is the worst possible time for for the MTA. This now means that the NG Hybrids will be delivered late, and this bus shortage will continue for the next few months. Buses number 4 and 5 were to roll off the assembly line on June 16. That will now be pushed back, and production of these buses will be haulted indefinitely untill the problem is resolved. Because the 3rd bus did not pass, and the delivery will be late, MTA has the legal right to recieve compensation from Daimler. The TA will be eligable to recieve a discount off this $350 million+ order. If the issue is not fixed by the end of June, the TA will recieve a discount, and a free bus. So hopefully Orion can get it together real soon! I would imagine whatever it is will be fixed by then. This is how the TA got 6905 for free.

So here's the update on the progress of the new buses. As previously posted the developement of the NG has been revised. Daimler wants to incorporate some of the Citaro's features into the OVII NG, and New Orion X Artic. They also want to revise the suspension of the NG to better handle NYC streets, especially areas in Staten Island, Brooklyn, and the Bronx. There also seems to be some other design flaws that need to be worked out. If all goes as planned, the OX Artic demo will be produced for testing in the third quarter of 2010. Developement of the Artic is also contributing to the delay of the NG.

So here's the update on the progress of the new buses. As previously posted the developement of the NG has been revised. Daimler wants to incorporate some of the Citaro's features into the OVII NG, and New Orion X Artic. They also want to revise the suspension of the NG to better handle NYC streets, especially areas in Staten Island, Brooklyn, and the Bronx. There also seems to be some other design flaws that need to be worked out. If all goes as planned, the OX Artic demo will be produced for testing in the third quarter of 2010. Developement of the Artic is also contributing to the delay of the NG.

So what new Citaro features are to be added to the O7 NG?

I really didn't expect MTA to get these buses in the 1st half of the year but these buses are really needed. Let's hope Orion is able to reconfigure the bus for a quicker delivery like October.

I really didn't expect MTA to get these buses in the 1st half of the year but these buses are really needed. Let's hope Orion is able to reconfigure the bus for a quicker delivery like October.

Maybe MTA should start looking at the New Flyer DE40LFR, while testing the D60LF (hopefully R).

Whatever features coming from the Citaro will be minor.

Maybe MTA should start looking at the New Flyer DE40LFR, while testing the D60LF (hopefully R).

I agree, and if nothing else the TA could place an emergency lease order for DE40's and DE60's. The DE40's could be here in 2 weeks and the 60's in 3 or 4.

I agree, and if nothing else the TA could place an emergency lease order for DE40's and DE60's. The DE40's could be here in 2 weeks and the 60's in 3 or 4.

My friend, if New Flyer could supply buses that fast here, I would drop Orion like a bad habit, and go to New Flyer tomorrow. We have them here already, and they are the better buses with the LF (C40LF)...... Just looking at the buses, one could see that the New Flyer is slightly larger. I drove both the Orion VII CNG, and the C40LF (19-A). The Flyer is far roomier. They just need to shrink that steering wheel, cause it is just too huge. Hopefully they did with the updated Flyers. I thought I was turning a small school bus wheel........