Why no work on Evenings?

Abba

How come the MTA never does trackwork on evenings (like 8-12),instead of always doing it on weekends?

Work is done every single night between 12 and 5am. At 8pm the trains are still packed and running tight headways.

Technically on the weekend They do trackwork from 12:01 Saturday to 5AM Monday "non-stop" So from 8-12 on weekends there is some track work going on...and the weekends gives them ample time to complete work to make for a smooth 5 day workweek commute. 8-12 is still in a way rush hour you got the people that get off work late coming home and trains are still a bit packed and headways are short so that would defeat the purpose of doing trackwork because they'd have to be off the tracks like every 10 or so minutes and the work would take forever to get done. The only time that would probably be done is if it's a dire emergency.

I have to go to work at noon, and by that time a sixth to a fourth of my trips are slowed down by workers milling about the trackways. Of course, the only good that ever comes out of it is when the (N) runs via West End express, but for some reason it ran local via West End today.

The MTA is the only agency that I know of that does trackwork during middays.

Maybe that's because such a degree of track is 'outside'. I doubt those who live near to elevated or open-cut sections would be too happy if they did heavy work overnight. Most other systems have a greater degree of track in tunnels I would wager, and of those that don't only one or two run along elevated 'structures' like those in New York which I would assume are pretty maintenance-hungry.

All other systems worldwide bar one or two shut down overnight, thus the maintenance boys can get stuff done then without causing inconvenience.

On the Flushing Line, I have seen workers on the roadbed as early as 10 am and as late as 4:30pm. I can't imagine how pissed off peope would be if work was done at nght. Even if it was only inspections, every train in the area would have to blow it's horn to warn the workers.

I have to go to work at noon, and by that time a sixth to a fourth of my trips are slowed down by workers milling about the trackways. Of course, the only good that ever comes out of it is when the (N) runs via West End express, but for some reason it ran local via West End today.

Yes i saw the same thing thursday.

The (E)(V) 5 Av GO starts at 10 PM.

The MTA is the only agency that I know of that does trackwork during middays.

Yes Some G.O. like this requiers more time from start to finsh so 10pm at the time they start. the signal upgrades there doing now are major work.these signal are part of the CBTC upgrades the Queen line s are getting. Even the new signal that are working around Canal st to Jay St are CBTC ready. EVen signal upgrades from now on will e CBTC ready.

Archived