Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Own a piece of the MTA: Agency sells parts and recycles many of its assets

mark1447

368420828.jpg

When it comes to the stuff it doesn’t need, the MTA really knows how to throw a garage sale.

The cash-strapped agency saves big bucks and helps the environment by selling or recycling everything from old train signs to unearthed dirt. The MTA is exemplary in repurposing what it’s got, said Robert Paaswell, president of the University Transportation Research Center at CUNY.

“They have to cannibalize what’s there. They need the money,” Paaswell said.

Bus Parts

Since 2008, NYC Transit has stripped its vintage buses naked of parts that can still be used, lifting off transmissions, seats and 80 other items that are hauled off to garages. Thousands of gallons of diesel have been sucked out of the vehicles before they are sold to a contractor for about $1,000 a pop.

“(The buses) look like a turkey carcass after Thanksgiving,” said Joe Smith, vice president of transit’s bus division.

The contractor shreds the buses with giant scissors, separating the materials with magnets and selling it as scrap. The MTA will save about $12 million this year by recycling the bus parts, transit officials said.

Dirt

Digging the Long Island Rail Road extension to Grand Central unearthed something surprisingly useful: untainted soil. Developers of tennis courts and playgrounds are eager to scoop up pure dirt, and 100,000 tons of it from the East Side Access project was used to landscape the recently opened Pier 1 at Brooklyn Bridge Park, MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz said. A further 30,000 tons of the muck will be used for future work there, he said.

“It’s in demand,” said Andrew Thompson, construction manager for East Side Access, which has ripped through more than 100,000 cubic yards of rock underneath Grand Central.

Water

The MTA has lots of water on its hands, pumping out 8 million gallons of it from the subways — and that’s on a dry day. The agency currently dumps all that water down the sewers, which they have to pay the city to treat.

The MTA hopes to unload some of the deluge off on manufacturers located near subway stations that need water, or use it to nourish green roofs. The water could also be tapped to power geothermal pumps that would heat offices, NYC Transit officials recently said. It’s unclear how much the MTA stands to make from the water as it’s yet to be implemented, but it should save cash it currently pays the city.

“It’s wasted water and wasted energy, so they are looking for other uses,” said John Rhyner, an environmental consultant.

Currently, the agency harvests rainwater to wash buses at facilities in Brooklyn and the Bronx.

---

MTA for sale:

A sampling of what the agency is currently hocking:

Gray train seat(R26-42): $500

B line sign (R40 Signs): $350

Subway entrance globe: $200

Illuminated A train sign(R-44): $155

Train map with casing: $150

Subway car door: $125

Train horn: $75

Subway pole: $25

Vintage Bullseye token: $2

---

amNY's suggestions of other things the MTA can sell to make money:

- Autographed photos of riders¹ favorite track rats.

- Old amNewYorks left in trains. (Collect them all!)

- Dr. Zizmore ads, which can be repurposed for ironic hipster T-Shirts.

- The (G) train. It's so sporadic that it's almost useless.

- Service advisory signs. Apparently there¹s enough from the past year alone

to build a life-sized paper mache of the earth.

SOURCE: AM-New York

April 8, 2010

MTA for sale:

Gray train seat(R26-42): $500 Should be $50

B line sign (R40 Signs): $350 Should be $50

Subway entrance globe: $200 not bad

Illuminated A train sign(R-44): $155 not bad

Train map with casing: $150 Should be $20

Subway car door: $125 not bad

Train horn: $75 should be $20

Subway pole: $25 not bad

Vintage Bullseye token: $2 not bad

IN BOLD MY ADJUSTMENTS.

MTA for sale:

Gray train seat(R26-42): $500 Should be $50

B line sign (R40 Signs): $350 Should be $50

Subway entrance globe: $200 not bad

Illuminated A train sign(R-44): $155 not bad

Train map with casing: $150 Should be $20

Subway car door: $125 not bad

Train horn: $75 should be $20

Subway pole: $25 not bad

Vintage Bullseye token: $2 not bad

IN BOLD MY ADJUSTMENTS.

Yep, agreed, like whos gonna pay over $250 for most of these item. T/a has to reduce to price to get some attraction!

For the R40 sign ill take it for $50:p

Haven't they been doing this for a long time?

Yes but im guessing its some promotion.

When it comes to the signs I'll just make my own. Someone sent me the readings for the R40/42 signs so I can just work with those. All I need is mylar.

Yep, agreed, like whos gonna pay over $250 for most of these item. T/a has to reduce to price to get some attraction!

For the R40 sign ill take it for $50:p

Yes but im guessing its some promotion.

They do sell at those prices.

yeah buy rollsigns not 50$ Unless sum1 sells cheap!

I got most of my rollsigns for $100 or so.

An R44 sign?! OMG! I wonder if you can change the readings.

They are selling the front signs which are all the same on cars R40-46. You can change them too, but only if you can make SMEE current since the signs are electricly driven.

The sad part about this is that back in the 80's and 90's when trains were still being scrapped down by 2nd Av in Brooklyn, people would either pay the scrapped $20 and take what they wanted or just go down there when no one was around. Now the MTA is trying to get every last buck they can out of anything.

I did the same thing back around 99 and 00, I'm stilled pissed off at my mother that she would not let me go back there with some tools so I could get all kinds of things. By then most of the rolligns were gone but the sign boxes were still there, seats, controllers, button boards, number plates, and other s**t I want.

Archived