April Amazement: Record Warm Recap - weather.com

EE Broadway Local

"April Amazement: Record Warm Recap"

By Jonathan Erdman, on April 8, 2010 2:04 pm EDT

83 Degrees In Maine

(Twitpic courtesy: http://twitpic.com/photos/emilieinc)

"We've just put the wraps on a record-breaking warm first week of April. Let's take you through some highlights of this incredible warm spell.

Thousands Of Daily Records Rewritten

According to the National Climatic Data Center, over 1,800 daily record highs were either tied or broken from April 1-7, mainly from the Upper Midwest to the Tennessee Valley to the Northeast. Each location has at least a 30 year period of record, by the way.

Below, we've shown the day-by-day breakdown of these record highs in the nation.

Some Hot Highlights

What was so attention-grabbing about this warm spell was both its' northward extent and how early in the season it occurred. Minimal snow cover coming off a record warm first three months of the year in northern New England and a record snowless March in northern Michigan helped set the table for this.

Let's list some of the amazing records rewritten:

April 2d: Pittsburgh (85) and Cleveland (86) have their hottest day so early in the season. Blacksburg, Va. (87) sets a new April monthly high. Pellston, in far northern Lower Michigan reached 85 degrees. They were reporting snow Thursday.

April 3d: Caribou, Maine topped out at an incredible 82 degrees, by far the warmest so early in the season. This was a whopping 41 degrees above its average high, and an incrdible 24 degrees above its previous daily record high, which at 58 degrees, seemed plenty 'warm' to me!

April 5th: The first of two straight 91 degree days at Augusta, Ga.. Good thing the tournament itself wasn't until Thursday!

April 6th: April monthly record tied at Washington's Dulles International Airport (93), and at Pittsburgh's Allegheny County Airport (86). It was the earliest 90-degree reading in 58 years in Roanoke, Va., and in 54 years in Charlotte, N.C..

April 7th: It was, by far, the hottest so early in the season in Boston (90), Hartford (93), New York City (92) and Atlantic City (91)."

Source and Graph: http://www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news//news/articles/0408-record-warm-recap_2010-04-08

70(EE)'s note: With that official 92 degree high Wednesday, New York City also reached ninety degrees for, possibly, the first time ever in a year before Phoenix, Arizona. Phoenix this year has not had a day warmer than 85 degrees as of Friday April 9th.

I prefer cold weather. But I don't recall April being this warm.

I only recall the spring of 1990 being even this warm so early in NY metro area. I think remember the Mets home opener in '90 at the old Shea Stadium, being around 80-85 degrees which is still remarkably warm. Also i think that whole year in 1990 from March-August having a very hot Spring and Summer seasons as well. :P

Guys i hope i dont sound crazy but in years in NY or the northeast US having heavy snowfall/very cold winter(in case of the Mid Atlantic areas from Washington DC-Philly) recently setting records for most snow ever recorded, the summers are also very hot.

Case in point 1977. After record snow/cold for most of the country, that summer also turned to then be one of the hottest on record for most of the US as well. Guys i am guessing we going to have a very warm summer 2010.:o:confused:

Not to mention that after as high as 85-88 degrees on Wednesday and this morning (4/10/10)further up by the Adirondack Mountains and Western NY it was snowing. This is insane.

Granted in March-April there some changes in weather but not this extremes of 60-70 degree switches in 2-3 days.:P:confused:

It was beautiful (although our thermometer got up to 94).

We were running 20 degrees above average this month until the "coolness" came in like 2 days ago. Our April average is 62 and the average this April so far was like 81 (until the slight cool down).

My ideal range is 75 and beyond (88+ for Summer), and yes I've felt 120's.

I only recall the spring of 1990 being even this warm so early in NY metro area. I think remember the Mets home opener in '90 at the old Shea Stadium, being around 80-85 degrees which is still remarkably warm. Also i think that whole year in 1990 from March-August having a very hot Spring and Summer seasons as well. :(

Guys i hope i dont sound crazy but in years in NY or the northeast US having heavy snowfall/very cold winter(in case of the Mid Atlantic areas from Washington DC-Philly) recently setting records for most snow ever recorded, the summers are also very hot.

Case in point 1977. After record snow/cold for most of the country, that summer also turned to then be one of the hottest on record for most of the US as well. Guys i am guessing we going to have a very warm summer 2010.:o:confused:

The Mets home opener back in 1990 was 50 degrees. The Pirates won 12-3 (this was when they were actually good and won the NL East). You might have been thinking of the 1998 home opener when it was 82 degrees. The Mets beat the Phillies 1-0 in 14 innings.

Phoenix has done it! Thursday April 15th was our first official 90 degree day of 2010. But it was a dry and comfortable 90 degrees with relative humidity averaging 10% and the dew point averaging 24 degrees. It only felt warm in the direct sun this afternoon (it was very bright at 3:00pm).

With that said, summer now is right around the corner when the first official 95 degree afternoon occurs. Then mornings will begin to average 62 degrees.

Time now to enjoy these days while they are still with us.

Though it officially reached 90, with the humidity and dew point low, it didn't feel warm enough to turn on the ceiling fans or the a/c. 91, 92 degrees...maybe. :(

At 9:00pm, it was 83 degrees in Phoenix.

I prefer weather in the 65-80 range. I hope the global warming loonies don't use this heat wave to justify their idiotic theories.

IAWTP. A little weather fluctuation should not translate as "global warming". If the Ice Age thawed away, did Neantherdals build factories then? Just throwing a point out there.

Phoenix has done it! Thursday April 15th was our first official 90 degree day of 2010. But it was a dry and comfortable 90 degrees with relative humidity averaging 10% and the dew point averaging 24 degrees. It only felt warm in the direct sun this afternoon (it was very bright at 3:00pm).

With that said, summer now is right around the corner when the first official 95 degree afternoon occurs. Then mornings will begin to average 62 degrees.

Time now to enjoy these days while they are still with us.

Though it officially reached 90, with the humidity and dew point low, it didn't feel warm enough to turn on the ceiling fans or the a/c. 91, 92 degrees...maybe. :)

At 9:00pm, it was 83 degrees in Phoenix.

I'm so jealous, we're about 1.5 months away until Summer unofficially starts.

How about them trees lol. So green around here.

After narrowly missing our first 100 degree day of 2010 on Sunday (97 degrees was the official high but it was dry - drier than Thursday when we reached 91 degrees) a short cold front is forcast to arrive tomorrow.

Accuweather is forcasting a high of 70 degrees for Wednesday; 67 for Thursday and 71 for Friday before we begin to warm back up with 81 degrees on Saturday. Lows are forcast to be 62 degrees tonight as clouds increase; 47 tomorrow night; and 51 Thursday before we begin to warm back up with 55 degrees Friday night and 60 degrees Saturday night.

Tomorrow we're forcast to be mostly cloudy and breezy with a chance for rain/showers.

At 7:15pm, Phoenix is 83 degrees but with 23% relative humidity and a small breeze south at three miles per hour.

Honestly: I haven't turned on the ceiling fans or a/c yet this year.

Archived