MTA Bus Co. service changes on 4/18-19/2010

w8Hou

BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2010

To align service closer with ridership, the times of the first and last trips on the BM1, BM2, BM3 and BM4 will be adjusted.

Weekday Adjustments

BM2: The first Weekday PM Downtown trip from Church Street

to Spring Creek will depart 20 minutes later at 4:05 PM.

BM4: An 8:45 PM "All Stops" trip will be added from 57th

Street/2nd Avenue to Gerritsen Beach.

No time changes to the first and last Weekday BM1 and BM3 trips, or the first and last Weekday trips on other BM2 and BM4 services.

Saturdays - New Hours of Service (Bold denotes change)

BM1: To Midtown/Downtown: 6:00 AM - 9:30 PM

To Mill Basin: 9:00 AM - 12:00 Midnight

BM2: To Midtown/Downtown: 6:00 AM - 9:40 PM

To Canarsie: 9:10 AM - 12:10 AM

BM3: To Midtown/Downtown: 6:20 AM - 9:20 PM

To Sheepshead Bay: 8:50 AM - 11:50 PM

BM4: No Changes

BM5 and QM15 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2010

To provide increased travel options for express bus customers on the Woodhaven Boulevard / Cross Bay Boulevard corridor, the following BM5 bus stops will be added:

* Woodhaven Blvd & Metropolitan Av

* Woodhaven Blvd & Forest Park Dr

* Cross Bay Blvd & Pitkin Av

These bus stops are also served by the QM15. There will be no changes to the current BM5 travel path. All current bus stops in Midtown Manhattan and bus stops between Lindenwood and Spring Creek will remain unchanged.

In Midtown, the BM5 will continue to operate via Madison Avenue (drop-off) and Fifth Avenue (pick-up) between 34th Street and 57th Street/1st Avenue. The BM5 will continue to operate Monday-Saturday.

Q6 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2010

In order to provide faster service and respond to growing ridership on the Q6 between Jamaica, South Jamaica, Springfield Gardens and the North Boundary Road Cargo Area in JFK Airport, a new Q6 limited-stop service will be provided. The Q6 Limited will operate Weekdays only, northbound approximately 6:00 AM to 8:30 AM and southbound approximately 3:20 PM to 7:00 PM, and will operate along the same route as the Q6 local service, stopping only at:

* 165th Street Bus Terminal;

* 168 St & Jamaica Av (Northbound Only)

* Jamaica Av & 160 St (SB)/153 St (NB)

* Sutphin Blvd & 91 Av (SB)/Archer Av (NB) (EJZ, LIRR & Air Train);

* Sutphin Blvd & Arlington Terrace (SB)/109 Av (NB)

* Sutphin Blvd & Linden Blvd

* Sutphin Blvd & Foch Blvd

* Sutphin Blvd & Rockaway Blvd

Then all other local stops to/from JFK Airport/N Boundary Rd Q6 local service will continue to operate at all times in both directions serving all local Q6 bus stops.

Q60 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2010

To provide more reliable service and to provide service closer with ridership needs, alternate Weekday daytime and evening Q60 trips will operate only between East Midtown and Jamaica (Archer Avenue at Sutphin Boulevard).

The destination sign on these short eastbound trips will read:

Q60 JAMAICA ARCHER AV via QUEENS BL

Eastbound Q60 trips with the following destination signs continue to operate the full length to South Jamaica on 109 Av:

Q60 S. JAMAICA 109 AV via QUEENS BL

Q102 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE SUNDAY, APRIL 18, 2010

In order to provide more consistent and uniform service on Roosevelt Island, all Q102 service will travel through Roosevelt Island in the same direction.

Upon entering the island at the Roosevelt Island Bridge, all buses will first travel north on Main Street to Coler Hospital, then south to Goldwater Hospital, and then exit the island at the bridge.

In addition, the following closely-spaced bus stops on the island will be discontinued: (1) 568 Main St, (2) 579 Main St, (3) P.S./I.S. 270, and (4) The Octagon on Northbound Main St. Please use a nearby alternate bus stop.

All service in Long Island City and Astoria will remain unchanged.

QM18 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2010

Due to low ridership, the hours of service will be adjusted. The last trip to Midtown will now depart South Ozone Park at 8:58 AM, instead of 9:58 AM. The first trip to South Ozone Park will now depart 34th Street/3rd Avenue at 3:35 PM instead of 2:55 PM, and the last trip will now depart at 6:35 PM instead of 7:00 PM.

Bold denotes change.

New Hours of Service

To Midtown:

Weekdays: 6:28 AM - 8:58 AM

To South Ozone Park:

Weekdays: 3:35 PM - 6:35 PM

Source: http://mta.info/busco/advisories.htm

thanks for the info whou8.

I don't understand how the BM4 is not at least reduced. Also i really think the last Midtown BM1 BM2 and BM3 should leave their Brooklyn terminals on Saturdays around 6pm.

Also as i stated before the Q6 should be extended to Terminal 4 at JFK to serve as a backup for the Airtrain if and when service is shut for emgerency.

And for the Q60, it long overdue they have 'short trips' terminal. So i wonder does the rush hour 'westbound' Q60 short trip terminal is still at 33rd St (7)station?

I don't understand how the BM4 is not at least reduced. Also i really think the last Midtown BM1 BM2 and BM3 should leave their Brooklyn terminals on Saturdays around 6pm.

Also as i stated before the Q6 should be extended to Terminal 4 at JFK to serve as a backup for the Airtrain if and when service is shut for emgerency.

And for the Q60, it long overdue they have 'short trips' terminal. So i wonder does the rush hour 'westbound' Q60 short trip terminal is still at 33rd St (7)station?

The Q60 doesn't have a WB short terminal at 33 St. I think the short trip should be at Queens Plaza. As for the Q6, it finally gets the LTD that it needs

Wouldn't it be better to extend the Q9 to Terminal 4, since it already parallels the AirTrain?

What does everybody think of this idea?:

Q7 and Q9 extended to Terminal 4.

Q10 Rockaway Blvd branch eliminated. All trips rerouted down Lefferts Blvd/Conduit Avenue. Use Q7 for Rockway Blvd service and Q9 for 131st Street service.

Is this a good idea or would it compete too much with AirTrain?

Wouldn't it be better to extend the Q9 to Terminal 4, since it already parallels the AirTrain?

What does everybody think of this idea?:

Q7 and Q9 extended to Terminal 4.

Q10 Rockaway Blvd branch eliminated. All trips rerouted down Lefferts Blvd/Conduit Avenue. Use Q7 for Rockway Blvd service and Q9 for 131st Street service.

Is this a good idea or would it compete too much with AirTrain?

Extending the Q7 and the Q9 to terminal 4 is overkill... If you ask me, neither of those routes should get sent to the main terminal (term. 4)... but I do think the Q9 should get extended to the Lefferts blvd. AIRTrain station (via Lefferts blvd).... extend it down 131st, across 135th, and down lefferts, en route to the airtrain station; while better serving the residences in S. Ozone Pk. in the process...

the Q10 rockaway blvd branch gets more usage though (that, and it has a short-turn @ 130th/150th)... if you get rid of that branch, then all Q10's would have to go to terminal 4, which I don't think that's what they want to do....

I see what you are saying, since the Q7 runs less frequently than the Q10 Rockway Blvd branch.

The Q10 runs that run along Rockaway Blvd that terminate at 130th Street/150th Avenue could be sent down Lefferts Blvd. I would guess that the MTA would reduce all Q10 service slightly if as you say there is a lot of ridership along Rockaway Blvd that would no longer be using it. On the other hand, maybe they would boost the frequency of the Q7 slightly, since it would have to serve the busy corridor by itself.

Also, a random question: What is at the section of JFK where the Q6 terminates?

What is the point of extending the Q6? IF the AirTrain is shut down for any rason the PA&NY Buses would be able to cover.

BM1, BM2, BM3, BM4 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2010

To align service closer with ridership, the times of the first and last trips on the BM1, BM2, BM3 and BM4 will be adjusted.

Weekday Adjustments

BM2: The first Weekday PM Downtown trip from Church Street

to Spring Creek will depart 20 minutes later at 4:05 PM.

BM4: An 8:45 PM "All Stops" trip will be added from 57th

Street/2nd Avenue to Gerritsen Beach.

No time changes to the first and last Weekday BM1 and BM3 trips, or the first and last Weekday trips on other BM2 and BM4 services.

Saturdays - New Hours of Service (Bold denotes change)

BM1: To Midtown/Downtown: 6:00 AM - 9:30 PM

To Mill Basin: 9:00 AM - 12:00 Midnight

BM2: To Midtown/Downtown: 6:00 AM - 9:40 PM

To Canarsie: 9:10 AM - 12:10 AM

BM3: To Midtown/Downtown: 6:20 AM - 9:20 PM

To Sheepshead Bay: 8:50 AM - 11:50 PM

BM4: No Changes

BM5 and QM15 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2010

To provide increased travel options for express bus customers on the Woodhaven Boulevard / Cross Bay Boulevard corridor, the following BM5 bus stops will be added:

* Woodhaven Blvd & Metropolitan Av

* Woodhaven Blvd & Forest Park Dr

* Cross Bay Blvd & Pitkin Av

These bus stops are also served by the QM15. There will be no changes to the current BM5 travel path. All current bus stops in Midtown Manhattan and bus stops between Lindenwood and Spring Creek will remain unchanged.

In Midtown, the BM5 will continue to operate via Madison Avenue (drop-off) and Fifth Avenue (pick-up) between 34th Street and 57th Street/1st Avenue. The BM5 will continue to operate Monday-Saturday.

Q6 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2010

In order to provide faster service and respond to growing ridership on the Q6 between Jamaica, South Jamaica, Springfield Gardens and the North Boundary Road Cargo Area in JFK Airport, a new Q6 limited-stop service will be provided. The Q6 Limited will operate Weekdays only, northbound approximately 6:00 AM to 8:30 AM and southbound approximately 3:20 PM to 7:00 PM, and will operate along the same route as the Q6 local service, stopping only at:

* 165th Street Bus Terminal;

* 168 St & Jamaica Av (Northbound Only)

* Jamaica Av & 160 St (SB)/153 St (NB)

* Sutphin Blvd & 91 Av (SB)/Archer Av (NB) (EJZ, LIRR & Air Train);

* Sutphin Blvd & Arlington Terrace (SB)/109 Av (NB)

* Sutphin Blvd & Linden Blvd

* Sutphin Blvd & Foch Blvd

* Sutphin Blvd & Rockaway Blvd

Then all other local stops to/from JFK Airport/N Boundary Rd Q6 local service will continue to operate at all times in both directions serving all local Q6 bus stops.

Q60 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2010

To provide more reliable service and to provide service closer with ridership needs, alternate Weekday daytime and evening Q60 trips will operate only between East Midtown and Jamaica (Archer Avenue at Sutphin Boulevard).

The destination sign on these short eastbound trips will read:

Q60 JAMAICA ARCHER AV via QUEENS BL

Eastbound Q60 trips with the following destination signs continue to operate the full length to South Jamaica on 109 Av:

Q60 S. JAMAICA 109 AV via QUEENS BL

Q102 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE SUNDAY, APRIL 18, 2010

In order to provide more consistent and uniform service on Roosevelt Island, all Q102 service will travel through Roosevelt Island in the same direction.

Upon entering the island at the Roosevelt Island Bridge, all buses will first travel north on Main Street to Coler Hospital, then south to Goldwater Hospital, and then exit the island at the bridge.

In addition, the following closely-spaced bus stops on the island will be discontinued: (1) 568 Main St, (2) 579 Main St, (3) P.S./I.S. 270, and (4) The Octagon on Northbound Main St. Please use a nearby alternate bus stop.

All service in Long Island City and Astoria will remain unchanged.

QM18 CUSTOMERS EFFECTIVE MONDAY, APRIL 19, 2010

Due to low ridership, the hours of service will be adjusted. The last trip to Midtown will now depart South Ozone Park at 8:58 AM, instead of 9:58 AM. The first trip to South Ozone Park will now depart 34th Street/3rd Avenue at 3:35 PM instead of 2:55 PM, and the last trip will now depart at 6:35 PM instead of 7:00 PM.

Bold denotes change.

New Hours of Service

To Midtown:

Weekdays: 6:28 AM - 8:58 AM

To South Ozone Park:

Weekdays: 3:35 PM - 6:35 PM

Source: http://mta.info/busco/advisories.htm

nothing new to me lol ive seen Q60's short turning at Archer Av before...

O7_3572.jpeg

Spring Creek is my favorite (MTA) Bus Company Depot. I have two friends working on the BM1 and BM3 routes. These changes have little effect. I believe the last BM3 bus to Manhattan leaving around 10pm is gone.

The BM5 making stops along Woodhaven Boulevard, I think this is a better idea, taking the load off the QM15 bus route. BM5 sure needs more riders.

I still think the Q60 needs to be a LTD. You can terminate the locals at Queens Plz and Archer av, and have the LTD do the whole trip.

...good idea or not?

You cant make the Q60 limited the local lanes on Queens Blvd are to narrow since DOT has made the outside lanes on Queens Blvd into parking spaces. That would cause more traffic and congestion and for the Q60 to go in and out of the Queens Blvd express lanes would be to much. I dont think you can get rid of the Rockaway Blvd branch of the the Q10 because many people use that branch coming from Kew Gardens I think more so than the South Conduit branch. Reguarding the Q9 it used to go to Jfk in the late 70s and early 80s selected Q9 buses.

Archived