President of Poland Killed in Plane Crash in Russia

NX Express

MOSCOW – A plane carrying the Polish president, Lech Kaczynski, and dozens of the country’s top political and military leaders crashed in a heavy fog in western Russia on Saturday morning, killing everyone aboard.

Television showed chunks of flaming fuselage scattered in a bare forest near Smolensk, where the president was arriving for a ceremony commemorating the murder of more than 20,000 Polish officers by the Red Army as it invaded Poland.

The governor of Smolensk region, Sergei Antufiyev, said the plane did not reach the runway but instead hit the treetops and broke apart. An official with the Russia’s Investigative Committee said possible causes were bad weather, mechanical failure and human error.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/11/world/europe/11poland.html?hp

This is sad news. Isn't it kinda coincedental that he died on his way to commerate the anniversary of the murdered Polish officers, who were killed by the Soviets, and that he died on his way to Russia?

Plus i am sure questions will be asked on why the President was flying in a plane that 40-plus years old as well?:confused:

Seriously: shouldn't there have been a rule/law stating top officials be divided up in case of such tragedies like this? I mean here, the President and VP hardly travels together.

I have to say I am very suspicious about this crash. Just too many officials from the same country and the circumstances.

Seriously: shouldn't there have been a rule/law stating top officials be divided up in case of such tragedies like this? I mean here, the President and VP hardly travels together.

I have to say I am very suspicious about this crash. Just too many officials from the same country and the circumstances.

Concourse i could be wrong but i think the reason the US President and Vice President hardly travel together outside of Washington both here at home and aboard is from the secret service changes following the mess and tragic events of the JFK assissstation.B)

In the United States every new President gets a brand new Airforce One after he is sworn in as President and Im sure Poland could afford a new up to date jet for its President.

Poland is not the richest country in the world Nel. With that said, i am sure buying a 'used Airforce One' from say GW Bush term bulit in 2000 is much better shape than the one that crashed this past weekend.;)

Poland is not the richest country in the world Nel. With that said, i am sure buying a 'used Airforce One' from say GW Bush term bulit in 2000 is much better shape than the one that crashed this past weekend.;)

True an eight year jet is better than a forty year old jet.

Where did you hear they change the AF1 jet for every administration? I really doubt that [but could be wrong], but obviously it would be far less than 30yrs.

They had a program and Airforce One gets changed with every newcoming ad ministration with a new pilot and crew.

Poland is not the richest country in the world Nel.

Indeed. We have lots of Polish people come to work in Britain and they can earn three or four times more here than they would in Poland doing the same job. That's why you have Polish people with university degrees driving forklifts in Britain. I would have thought that covering just one jet is difficult enough for them let alone two.

Air Force One is way too big for a country like Poland. Most European states have a small Airbus/737-size plane(s) for 'local' trips and then they use either scheduled flights, or chartered airliners, for long distance trips. Tony Blair used to use a chartered BA 777 and Gordon Brown chartered a Virgin 747 for a recent trip to America. Putin apparently has a luxuriously-appointed Ilyushin IL-96 though, I believe.

Concourse i could be wrong but i think the reason the US President and Vice President hardly travel together outside of Washington both here at home and aboard is from the secret service changes following the mess and tragic events of the JFK assissstation.:P

I think there's a rule that the Vice-President never travels in Air Force 1 with the President. IIRC, the VP has Air Force 2.

Now that I think about it, I agree with it.

They blew the plane up.

Proof/link?

Archived