The IRT (S)

Novabus 5000

It usually runs on better headways than the (7)<7>, doesn't make a stop at 5th Ave, and people don't have to go up and down all those flights of stairs. And I agree with Nova, try riding the (7)<7> and (S) during different times of the day, especially during rush hour, maybe then you'll change your mind ;) BTW the (S) already does not run from 12am to 5:40am

Do we really need the IRT shuttle train? It serves no purpose. The (7) covers it during late nights and sometimes on weekends (??). I think the (MTA) should cut this route.

What do you feel on this?

Every single time I've taken it, it's been packed.

Do we really need the IRT shuttle train? It serves no purpose. The (7) covers it during late nights and sometimes on weekends (??). I think the (MTA) should cut this route.

What do you feel on this?

Bad idea, kid. Ride the (S) at 5 pm and you'll see what I mean.

*notices OP's age*

I'll be easy.

Yes, it is needed. There are millions of people each year that use the 42nd st (S)... over the (7)...

And it definitely serves a purpose.

It takes those same millions of people... from the [west side to the east side] OR [from the east side to the west side].... faster than (and off) the (7)...

When the (S) doesn't run an overnight G.O. and my MNR train arrives at GCT at the scheduled time of 5:47 am, I can't tell you how many of my fellow commuters race to catch the first run to TSQ. I've been told that when we platform earlier, the gates to (S) are sometimes still locked and a mob has already gathered. SRO at that time is what I hear. I rarely ride it, but the user who mentioned the stairs to catch the (7) hit the nail on the head. The (S) is 20 feet below street level at both terminals, while the (7) is 80 feet below. Also, to get to the Flushing Line platform, one must deal with the Lexington Avenue Line crowds to get to the stairs downward. The (S) is off in its own little world. And have you ever had to deal with a crowd dragging ass up an OS escalator on a hot, humid day? MUR-DER. And to top it all off, the (7) makes an intermittent stop at Bryant Park, which can tack on another minute or more, depending on congestion at the TSQ pocket terminal. It's the only service that runs directly between the two busiest stations in the entire system and until East Side Access is up and running, I don't see the crowds on the (S) getting any thinner.

The (S) is very much essential to the Midtown commute and should not be done away with at all.

Guest lance25

While it may seem good to remove the 42 St (S) on paper, it would be a stupid move for the aforementioned reasons, as well as the fact that it's a backup for the (7) when there's track work on that line. Remember that until about a month ago, there was no (7) service on weekends for weeks.

What is needed is to rennovate the TS end of the shuttle to hold 5-car trains so they won't need to run single units.

Track 1&3 need that at the very least, track 4 not so much because not as many people board there and the train's dwell time is less because of that. Now if only there was a way to stop people from constantly dashing in before the train leaves, because that is the worst thing about riding the (S) :mad:

Archived