R179 Discussion Thread

BMT4Life

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

That song is nice and smooth and calm those must have been the good days..

But getting back on topic what lines will you think the R179s will go to? Well i think that they will go to the (:D(D)(R)(F)(G) and (V) lines. While those R68s on the (B) and (D) lines will go over to the (A) and (C) lines.

That song is nice and smooth and calm those must have been the good days..

But getting back on topic what lines will you think the R179s will go to? Well i think that they will go to the (B)(D)(R)(F)(G) and (V) lines. While those R68s on the (B) and (D) lines will go over to the (A) and (C) lines.

Well since we're doing "rumors" (awesome link), rumor has it the Whisky crews are getting R160 qualified and the R68's from there figure to go to the Bravo, as I'm sure you all know. At which point the Whisky and November might be 100% R160, so the slants from the Whisky Bravo and November will likely be headed for 8th Ave. to replace the R32's / R38's and possibly even displace the R44's to somewhere else (those cars are getting SMS sometime soon and expected to be around till 2015 so maybe they make their way over to Jamaica and the Echo since the R32's will be gone first). The R179 is supposed to replace the R44, so I'm guessing they'll be on the (A), and the two B division shuttles (I'd think the R68 sets on the Franklin would join the Bravo or Quincy if SAS is up and running, conveniently around 2015...). But since there's no word on how big an R179 order might be, I'll leave it at that ;) That's my thoughts...

Well since we're doing "rumors" (awesome link), rumor has it the Whisky crews are getting R160 qualified and the R68's from there figure to go to the Bravo, as I'm sure you all know. At which point the Whisky and November might be 100% R160, so the slants from the Whisky Bravo and November will likely be headed for 8th Ave. to replace the R32's / R38's and possibly even displace the R44's to somewhere else (those cars are getting SMS sometime soon and expected to be around till 2015 so maybe they make their way over to Jamaica and the Echo since the R32's will be gone first). The R179 is supposed to replace the R44, so I'm guessing they'll be on the (A), and the two B division shuttles (I'd think the R68 sets on the Franklin would join the Bravo or Quincy if SAS is up and running, conveniently around 2015...). But since there's no word on how big an R179 order might be, I'll leave it at that ;) That's my thoughts...

There is no "rumor" about (W)iskey Crews getting R 160 quailfied its already happend they want Ditmars to be a all R160 terminal making it more efficient. When the (A)pple R44's start getting thier work done you will have some slants and R40M's and R42's making thier way over to that line, now if they finally solved that "problem" with the Siemens trains the ball will start rolling again.

There is no "rumor" about (W)iskey Crews getting R 160 quailfied its already happend they want Ditmars to be a all R160 terminal making it more efficient. When the (A)pple R44's start getting thier work done you will have some slants and R40M's and R42's making thier way over to that line, now if they finally solved that "problem" with the Siemens trains the ball will start rolling again.

Thanks...also wanted to ask: What do you think might be instore for the Echo and those Jamaica R32's?

PS, RTOMan...is that you aka Railman?

^ It is him.

And from what I read when I lurk *******, I think the R32 Phase Is will go form Pitkin to Jamaica, retiring the R32 Phase IIs. No more screeching brakes!

Yup I "guesstimated" that too but if the R179 isn't coming along until 2015, what's going to replace the R32 Phase I's once they're on the (E)? Or would they plan on using R160's for it once the option orders are picked up?

Yup I "guesstimated" that too but if the R179 isn't coming along until 2015, what's going to replace the R32 Phase I's once they're on the (E)? Or would they plan on using R160's for it once the option orders are picked up?

Most likey the MK R42s from ENY yard.R160s cant run on the (A) line due to some problems. Actully come to think about it the (A) will get the overflow of R68As from the (;) line.Because i heard that the MTA will take the second option order making the (N)(W) and (Q) lines 100% R160s.So that means the (B) line will be getting R68/As from the (N)(W) and (Qx) lines.Which would mean that the (B) line would have more than enough R68s from the three lines i just said.

So those leftover R68/As has to go somewere....

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather works with the purchasing of new trains and told me the following information.

With the R179, it is not a rumor. It will be the option 2 order MTA will purchase later this year. The train is a 75ft. version of the R160. They will replace all of the R44. There is also plans to replace the R46's, but that willl not happen for another 5-8 years.

The R160 will replace all R38 trains when MTA purchases the option-1 cars in the summer due to the poor quality that the R38 is performing. After a few adjustments with the (A), (C), and (E) lines, they will run perfectly.

When the R160 trains are completed, the R68A will transfer to the (A) because half of the R44 fleet will retire in the Winter.

My grandfather works with the purchasing of new trains and told me the following information.

With the R179, it is not a rumor. It will be the option 2 order MTA will purchase later this year. The train is a 75ft. version of the R160. They will replace all of the R44. There is also plans to replace the R46's, but that willl not happen for another 5-8 years.

The R160 will replace all R38 trains when MTA purchases the option-1 cars in the summer due to the poor quality that the R38 is performing. After a few adjustments with the (A), (C), and (E) lines, they will run perfectly.

When the R160 trains are completed, the R68A will transfer to the (A) because half of the R44 fleet will retire in the Winter.

Wow, very interesting info. Thanks for the posting that.

So those R44s are gonna go. Good riddance when they do!

Anything about SIR? I know the MTA has been working on the trains because the stainless steel on most have been buffed from what I seen last week.

Wow, very interesting info. Thanks for the posting that.

So those R44s are gonna go. Good riddance when they do!

Anything about SIR? I know the MTA has been working on the trains because the stainless steel on most have been buffed from what I seen last week.

According to the (MTA) Capitol Plan, SIR won't be getting any upgrade or new cars for quite some time.

According to the (MTA) Capitol Plan, SIR won't be getting any upgrade or new cars for quite some time.

I remember hearing that later this year those SIR cars will have a "mini overhaul" (that was the term used) done on them to keep them going for a few more years until new cars are purchased "5 to 8 years from now"...

Come to think of it a quick Google gets this link...

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/minioverhaul_planned_for_state.html

I remember hearing that later this year those SIR cars will have a "mini overhaul" (that was the term used) done on them to keep them going for a few more years until new cars are purchased "5 to 8 years from now"...

Come to think of it a quick Google gets this link...

http://www.silive.com/news/index.ssf/2008/02/minioverhaul_planned_for_state.html

That actually might be happening now because there are alot of cars that been worked on, cleaned up, and stainless steel buffed.

So that means its not a rumor no more. It has been confirmed by a inside source.

It wasnt a rumor anyway..

I knew about this for the longest as did Pelham Bay Dave..

You love the R160 60fters, hope you don't have an episode when the 75ft version come out. Whenever I cross over (1st into A Div if possible), when those 75fters come out, and if I can get on the line(s) with them, I will switch, just to get the chance to operate a 75ft R160 (aka R179). Just like I like my buses/coaches, the bigger the better.

According to my insider, The R-179 will have FIND, Will be built by Alstom and will feature darker seats. I'm still not sure about the length but I give and I'll shot for 75 since (A)(S)(F)(R) need the 75 footers. I don't know about the Alstom part since Alstom is already swamped with orders from (MTA) (NJT) Marta in Atlanta and building new TGVs!

According to my insider, The R-179 will have FIND, Will be built by Alstom and will feature darker seats. I'm still not sure about the length but I give and I'll shot for 75 since (A)(S)(F)(R) need the 75 footers. I don't know about the Alstom part since Alstom is already swamped with orders from (MTA) (NJT) Marta in Atlanta and building new TGVs!

Yeah and kawaski will be swamped too with the PA5s M8s and this infamous "R151" aka R142S cars. Its really going to get fun over the next couple of months with these R179s....

Archived