R179 Discussion Thread

BMT4Life

Uh yes they are falling apart can you expain to me all those pics that have been posted on nycsubway.org of all those OOS R142/As on jackstands at 207th street yard? And can you also expain all those OOS R143s i see at CI yard? Old trains are more reliable than NTT when the greatbirds and R42 were eight years old they werent having all these machinal problems that the R142/143s are having now.

Having problems is not synonymous with falling apart. If the entire car is covered in rust and the walls can give way then that's a different story.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Uh yes they are falling apart can you expain to me all those pics that have been posted on nycsubway.org of all those OOS R142/As on jackstands at 207th street yard? And can you also expain all those OOS R143s i see at CI yard? Old trains are more reliable than NTT when the greatbirds and R42 were eight years old they werent having all these machinal problems that the R142/143s are having now.

Checkups to the communication devices?

Checkups to the communication devices?

Dude they dont have to send the R143s ALL the way to CI yard just to checkup the communcation devices that can be done at ENY. Theres something else wrong with those cars. Same goes for the R142/As they dont need to go to 207th st just to get that minor checked.

• 1 month later...
Your dead wrong. Everytime I ride on a 68, its a slow and depressed ride. The only time 68s are fast is downhill because they are so damn heavy. They weren't operating slow just one day. They are slow in general. And the reason why you never find anything wrong with your 68s/redbirds/and 110As is because you love all of those trains.

The R68 are kind of slow but I don't find nothing wrong with them!!! The R68 on the D line are the Best.

And even if the 68s run slow, it's not like you're going somewhere in a rush. You'll get there sooner or later.

tru that. but the 68's do accellerate slower. Thats not a mechanical problem. thats due to it heavy weight! And i like the 68's. have a friend whos in his 3rd year being a t/o. hes had them on the Nancy and the Grand st g/o shuttle. they can haul ass! once they get moving! lol

and the 179's, those will be sweet.

SI NEEDS new cars.

The argument i remember the mta having about 75ft's was that they have less doors in a set than 60ft's and didnt fit everywhere. they originally ordered them cause its less parts to maintain.

and techinally, 10 60ft cars are overall 5' longer than 8 75ft cars.

the actuall length from coupler end to coupler end of a 60ft car is 60' 6".

#of cars type overall length

8 R44/46/68/68a 600'

9 R110B 603'

10 everything else 605'

• 6 months later...
Well, this fleet is about replacing the R-44 fleet which was running since the 1970's. I feel they should use this money elsewhere like fixing and renovating station, trackage and signals because the R-44's, R-46's, R-62's and R-68's are running fine!

I guarantee you the R44s will not be running fine 4-7 years from now in 2012-2015, when these cars will begin replacing R44s. Who knows, maybe even the R46s might begin to crap out as well. For example, all of the R32-R42 fleet was performing much better in 2000 than they are now.

I guarantee you the R44s will not be running fine 4-7 years from now in 2012-2015, when these cars will begin replacing R44s. Who knows, maybe even the R46s might begin to crap out as well. For example, all of the R32-R42 fleet was performing much better in 2000 than they are now.

Maybe if they can liberate the R-46s from Jamaica eventually they will continue to perform well as I believe they do now despite not getting the best treatment over at Jamaica. There are rumors floating around that some might go to Pitkin when R-160s start showing up at Jamaica.

Good does MTA has any other thing to do with it's leftover money. It is really crazy that they are replacing the R-44's and R-46's. I like riding them, they've got good quiet brakes. But the new ones kinda gets annoying a while. At least the R-62's and R-68's can maintian my like of the MTA... But service cuts are ridiculous. I guess I should just move my swimming class to Flushing cause the subway has a hell of a delay. It drives me impatient...

The R179 will arrive on NYCT property between 2012-2015, so the r44 and R46 are being replaced 4-7 years from now.

Everything goes in time eventually...it's a train not a girlfriend, some foamers need to remember that, new ones will come and go, think Mormon and you won't be saddened...

It's just equipment, the fun is in riding and connecting with old friends, not the equiipment because at the end of the day its just machinery, remember that...

Everything goes in time eventually...it's a train not a girlfriend, some foamers need to remember that, new ones will come and go, think Mormon and you won't be saddened...

It's just equipment, the fun is in riding and connecting with old friends, not the equiipment because at the end of the day its just machinery, remember that...

Best. Analogies. Ever.

But I do think the new cars shouldn't be a priority at the moment...they're extremely expensive. What's the point of ordering new cars if there will be no one able to afford riding them?

Good post.

IT'S JUST A TRAIN! I really don't see the point how people claim they love a certain class of cars and defend it to the death when other people say it is not as good as it is...

Archived