1 Train South of Chambers Summer Outage Concern

MTR Admiralty

It might have been thought up by the planning team because the PA did in fact spoke with the MTA. But any details of the contingencies the MTA thought up before the PA came over are unknown to public.

Okay understandable, but where did the (9) came up? Unless they said something about "extra service"?

He's saying that the (9) was only a rumor that was discussed before as a result of the (MTA) releasing a press release a year ago stating that work would be done affecting the Lower Manhattan portion of the (1) in 2010. I don't know if the (9) was ever an official plan other than from rumors floating around other transit sites.

Okay understandable, but where did the (9) came up? Unless they said something about "extra service"?

I said, there is a likelihood that it might have been discussed when the MTA was planning contingency measures. But the fundamental point is: whether the (9) was in the books or not, the fact of the matter is the (9) is a rumour stemming out from Subchan that I'm willing to debunk.

It might have been thought up by the planning team because the PA did in fact spoke with the MTA. But any details of the contingencies the MTA thought up before the PA came over are unknown to public.

I said, there is a likelihood that it might have been discussed when the MTA was planning contingency measures. But the fundamental point is: whether the (9) was in the books or not, the fact of the matter is the (9) is a rumour stemming out from Subchat that I'm willing to debunk.

Back in February, there were talks about possible plans around the ground zero area between the MTA & The Port Authority that might affect the (1) and bring back the (9). I did hear about the (9) being skip-stops but there hasnt been much talk after that since then.

Yes there is a need for proof, becuz i wonder who would start saying that the (9) is coming back out of no where.. If no proof is in then someone made it up... And there for unofficial.

As for the (S) bus, i think thats a better solution then cutting service and making changes to the IRT West side.

Well, you didnt ask for proof when the R32/R44/R46 on the A/C were going to "swap with one another". Plus, even if this was going to happen, its at its early stages so there wouldnt be any solid proof as of that time until it happens.....and considering that this is coming from the Port Authority's side, proof like that wont be easily leaked.....

Well before this thread goes to hell: I don't understand why they'd have [i assume] a full switch at 96th with the (2)/(3) local and the 1 express - just like the very first post 9/11 service before they switched it back to having the (1)/(2) to Brooklyn and local with the (3) express and ending at 14th.

If it is just a temporary GO, then run the 1 to Brooklyn and minimize the delays by leaving the (3) alone.

Then again, they could terminate the (1) at 14th and the (3) at 34th and have the (4) run to New Lots.

Yes, but is there the capacity in the Clark Street Tunnel to run three services?

I dont think so, since most of the time when a g/o occured the (5) would be rerouted via the (2) from Mott ave to Nevins Street.

But there could be a limit on the Eastern Parkway Line, since there would be 5 routes on that line (1)(2)(3)(4)<5>.

The thing that gets me with this so-called rumor is that they someone in the TA spreaded a rumor about a car swap between the (1) and (5) (R62A's for r142's) NOT HAPPENING, Even though it would be nice.

Then now people are spreading rumors about a (9) making a comeback, WTF, why would make the (9) comeback to go to New Lots and have both the (1) and (3) go to 14th, IN YOUR DREAMS, Not Happening, 7th ave would be a hell Hole, you can't have the (1) and (3) share the same express track and have the (2) go Local along with the (9), That would be too much swicthing and could result in a future Swich Problem.

If this did happen, The (1) would just be R62's(Leftovers from the (3)) and the R62A's that the (1) uses now and it would be like the 9/11 service pattern.

The thing that gets me with this so-called rumor is that they someone in the TA spreaded a rumor about a car swap between the (1) and (5) (R62A's for r142's) NOT HAPPENING, Even though it would be nice.

Then now people are spreading rumors about a (9) making a comeback, WTF, why would make the (9) comeback to go to New Lots and have both the (1) and (3) go to 14th, IN YOUR DREAMS, Not Happening, 7th ave would be a hell Hole, you can't have the (1) and (3) share the same express track and have the (2) go Local along with the (9), That would be too much swicthing and could result in a future Swich Problem.

If this did happen, The (1) would just be R62's(Leftovers from the (3)) and the R62A's that the (1) uses now and it would be like the 9/11 service pattern.

If the (9) were to come back, they would send the (2) & (9) down to Brooklyn & the (9) would ease up the IRT West Side as service would have been backed up and crowding would be more severe. There have been discussions with the Port Authority & The MTA Higher-ups about this a while back earlier in the year.

It would be for the Port Authority to take control of the Cortlandt Street Station as they would have to fix up that area and go below that station, cutting service to South Ferry for quite a long time. Shuttle Buses would be provided I assume, and there are alternatives like the (R), (4) & (5). Services that would go into Brooklyn would be the (2), (4), (5) & (9) lines. It would make sense for them to cut back the (3) to 14th since its only a part time line.

But as mentioned, they will not be going through with the (9), they will continue the shuttle bus G.Os.

If the (9) were to come back, they would send the (2) & (9) down to Brooklyn & the (9) would ease up the IRT West Side as service would have been backed up and crowding would be more severe. There have been discussions with the Port Authority & The MTA Higher-ups about this a while back earlier in the year.

It would be for the Port Authority to take control of the Cortlandt Street Station as they would have to fix up that area and go below that station, cutting service to South Ferry for quite a long time. Shuttle Buses would be provided I assume, and there are alternatives like the (R), (4) & (5). Services that would go into Brooklyn would be the (2), (4), (5) & (9) lines. It would make sense for them to cut back the (3) to 14th since its only a part time line.

But as mentioned, they will not be going through with the (9), they will continue the shuttle bus G.Os.

The point is that you can't have 3 express lines and you can't have 2 lines terminate at 14th, From a Railfans veiw it would be nice to see the (9) back with the (3)'s R62's, But it would be smart if they just stick with the 2001-2002 service patern, But They are doing shuttle buses on and off during the weekends.

The point is that you can't have 3 express lines and you can't have 2 lines terminate at 14th, From a Railfans veiw it would be nice to see the (9) back with the (3)'s R62's, But it would be smart if they just stick with the 2001-2002 service patern, But They are doing shuttle buses on and off during the weekends.

From the plan mentioned, two lines were going to be local and two lines were going to be express in Manhattan.

Yes, but where is the proof the (9) would come back

Also if the (1) were to cut from SF then how are people down there suppose to use alternative sevrice if the the (N) overnight service via Whitehall will be cut. Even tho (4)(5) can provide.

There is another alternate beside (1)(S) Bus on Weekend, M6.

Free Battery Park City (S) Bus operated by Downtown Connection stops at Warren St/W. Broadway & Church Sts, which stops along Battery Park City, Battery Park & South Ferry up to Seaport.

There is another alternate beside (1)(S) Bus on Weekend, M6.

Free Battery Park City (S) Bus operated by Downtown Connection stops at Warren St/W. Broadway & Church Sts, which stops along Battery Park City, Battery Park & South Ferry up to Seaport.

Yes, the Downtown Connection does in fact make stops. However, it runs on a circuitous route via BPC. The M6 does run on Broadway and Trin, but it doesn't run in the wee hours, I believe. And the wee hours is when a lot of the GO would take place.

From the plan mentioned, two lines were going to be local and two lines were going to be express in Manhattan.

If they do do that, 96th st is going to be a hell hole during the rush hours, Like AV said, if they swaped the (1)/(2) southern terminals and the (2) would go to 14th instead of the (1),its possible for this to happen when it comes to car assignments, the (1) can use both the R62A's and the leftover R142's from the (2) while the (9) would use the Most of the (3)'s R62's with the R62A's from 240th, But I doubt that they would do this. But it would be a good plan so this way it won't cause any jams on 7th ave, its just the brooklyn riders that would be confused.

I agree; I think it would be easier to do this while work is proceeding:

*(1) West 242d Street to New Lots Avenue

*(2) East 241st Street to Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College

*(3) 148th Street to 14th Street

*Free Shuttle Buses Chambers Street to South Ferry

The (1) doesn't need to go to New Lots. The (1) can stay at Chambers./14th Sts. while the (2)(3) remain the same.

OK, so then why not do this this summer:

(1) West 242d Street to Chambers Street

(2) East 241st Street to Flatbush Avenue-Brooklyn College

(3) 148th Street to New Lots Avenue

Free Shuttle Bus Chambers Street to South Ferry

With the (2)(3) running express, would it be hard to let the (1) terminate on the wall side at Chambers Street and reverse?

The (1) doesn't need to go to New Lots. The (1) can stay at Chambers./14th Sts. while the (2)(3) remain the same.

The problem with such a plan is that you would have to swap everything at either 96th st. or 34th st. Such would be extremely problematic. You'd have trouble running more than 20 TPH on the whole Broadway trunk. Thats barely more service than the current 1 alone.

It's fairly likely that the (2)(3) will go local from 96th to Chambers. The (1) will go express at 34th to terminate on the express tracks at 14th. It is feasible for it to terminate at Chambers, but its either because of logistics or their tendency "to follow precedent". MTA's stare indecis.

It's fairly likely that the (2)(3) will go local from 96th to Chambers. The (1) will go express at 34th to terminate on the express tracks at 14th. It is feasible for it to terminate at Chambers, but its either because of logistics or their tendency "to follow precedent". MTA's stare indecis.

That would work if the TPH was low, but alas, it is very high...

The problem with such a plan is that you would have to swap everything at either 96th st. or 34th st. Such would be extremely problematic. You'd have trouble running more than 20 TPH on the whole Broadway trunk. Thats barely more service than the current 1 alone.

Archived