What's the purpose for J/Z skipping stops between Marcy Av & Myrtle-Bway?

bstar1

And what if a J is coming S/B towards Myrtle at that exact moment? Won't matter how you arrange the queens bound trains you're still jammed up. ("Then the (J) would have to wait for the(M2) to merge onto the exp track at Myrtle. Any other times the (J) wait for (M2) to go to Myrtle".) Bstar1

Lots of other factors could jack things up too.

Last I checked, Those trains run 5 minute headways (J) every 10 (Z) every 10 during the rush. Fit (M)'s in between. There's plenty of cushion time to wait for a train to clear the switches should that problem arise.

Not to mention ridership patterns dictate that the (M) has more room to take on passengers bound for stations between Marcy and Myrtle so it makes sense to keep those people off the (J)(Z)

Most of those passengers between Marcy and Myrtle need (J)(Z) anyway, so it makes more sense for the(J)(Z) to operate loc. If they need (M2) just take (J)(Z) to Myrtle. At Myrtle (J)(Z) would be on the loc track, and (M2) on exp track, they wouldn't have to wait to see which train leaves first.

Most of those passengers between Marcy and Myrtle need (J)(Z) anyway, so it makes more sense for the(J)(Z) to operate loc. If they need (M2) just take (J)(Z) to Myrtle. At Myrtle (J)(Z) would be on the loc track, and (M2) on exp track, they wouldn't have to wait to see which train leaves first.

If OP thought it would be benifical it would have been done....

The current set up works period.

If OP thought it would be benifical it would have been done....

The current set up works period.

Exactly RTOman.

Ops planning studies this stuff they see the ridership #'s and if they didn't think to do it it must not be needed.

Saving 1 minute per run on the rare instance a (M) pulls in the same time as a (J)(Z) or vice versa is not worth the inefficiency created when the (J)/(Z) are lengthened and when the (M) isn't carrying as many passengers as the other trains because it's expressing to Myrtle.

See this for two years now during the PM Rush and no trains are jammed up at Bway Mrytle unless theres a problem in manhattan or south brooklyn...

A (J) or (Z) comes in a (M2) is waiting people move from one train to the next the (J) or (Z) goes 1st followed by the (M2).

Works for them(the customers).

Well as I have said in the past: there should be an express track going down the full length of Jamaica Av.

jamaciaelredone.jpg

On Jamaica Av- the 'outer track' would be more or less an 'emergency' track but used mainly as for layups. It could be used to speed up trains for the am rush hours.

The 'middle track' would be the main express track and use a flyover at cypress hills so it doesn't interfere with s/b service.

The map was too small to draw up, but I would've added a set of switches to the north and south of the Woodhaven stop to add more flexibility.

Thus the (Z) would bypass a bunch of stops and in the end be a 'short' enough line to allow for an extension into southern Brooklyn in place of the (M2). I don't know how far to send it, but I think at least 9th Av would be good.

I agree, but the (R) needs the help. Maybe to 59, then layover on Sea Beach?

I think in general the current setup works well enough, although once the 6th Ave (M) comes into being I could see the benefit of sending either the (J) or the (Z) local between Myrtle-Broadway and Marcy. 1) As someone else has noted, it would allow riders at the currently bypassed stations who actually need to go downtown in Manhattan to get directly on their preferred train, instead of having to get on the (M) and transferring at Marcy. 2) The Flushing Ave stop is very popular, especially in the morning rush hours - presumably because of Woodhull Hospital. What happens is that at Myrtle-Broadway large numbers of riders get off the (J) or (Z) and crowed onto the (M2) for one stop. Sending the (J) local those few stops would allow that large segment of the ridership to stay on their train and not have to muck about with transfers. We'll see how the (M) affects things along the line but I wouldn't be surprised if we were to eventually see a (J) making those couple of stops.

• 2 weeks later...

Doesn't matter if its (J) or the (Z) but when the (M) comes into play....the (Z) should be given regluar hrs operation and either it or the (J) which ever plays the Express should be extented into S BK....Both the and (J) and (Z) running fulltime durning rush hours will be too much for Broad to turn.

Also whatever is designated the "express" of the two should run on the Express to BJ...

If it were me - I'd the Kill Skip-Stop north of BJ ALL TRAINS SERVICE ALL STATIONS - south of BJ the (J) would be ALL LOCAL to Broad...The (Z) would be Express from BJ to Marcy in the Rush Direction of course - Local in Manhattan - Local in S BK...(Z) would operate at 10 min headways from 6am to 9am (with the last 2 (Z) teminated at Broad and interlining as (J) Locals back to BJ then to the Yard...then resume service from 3pm to 8pm (last train from S BK 630pm, then run interlined with (J)'s from Broad til 8pm last (Z))

Again, as I have said in other threads, if the (J)/(Z) didn't do skip-stop service north of Bway Junction, riders would backtrack to the (E), making it more crowded.

Not if the (Z) is running express from BJ - if its Mid-town riders your talking about well they going to do that anyway since the (J)/(Z) doesnt really take them where they want to go without a transfer.

Archived