What are C/R boards for?

QM1to6Ave

Can someone explain what the C/R boards in stations are supposed to do? All I see written on them is a certain type of train, e.g. R-46, and black stripes. Is it so like the C/R knows the train is stopped at the right position or something? Thanks!

"Is it so like the C/R knows the train is stopped at the right position or something?" Yes. It's also to make sure the conductor opens the doors on the correct side. Once the train comes to a complete stop, the conductor points at the sign to "acknowledge" it and verify that the train is at the correct position, they then open the doors.

Another tidbit...all the main C/R boards are at the middle of the platform with certain exceptions...

-The original BMT Eastern C/R boards ((J)(L)(M2)(Z), pre-R160) was at the 3rd/4th car area southbound and 5th/6th car area northbound. The reason was because the R40-R42's didn't have the C/R postition in each car like the R32-R38's did

-The current (G) set-up uses another board since its OPTO, although the original board is still there

-When the (C) used R40-R42's, it also used a special board (its still up in some places.)

All I see written on them is a certain type of train, e.g. R-46, and black stripes...

Certain stations have more than one board cuz certain trains can't stop at the regular board. Look above for the explaination

C/R= Conductor, the boards are found in the center of the platform where the the Conductors potion is located.

Some boards have rolling stock models listed to show where the middle is. For example R110B or R142.

Note, you may see at most line/stations 2 Boards or more due to the cars being different lengths/car numbers. For example 135th on the (A)(:((C) you can see 2 boards, 1 for the R32 (C) [8 Cars] and the other for a 75 ft car (R44/46/68).

Figured I'd ask here...what do the red-and-yellow boards mean?

Red and yellow signs have a "WRONG SIDE - DO NOT OPEN" wording on them. There's one at Bowling Green...right above a metal fence that would prevent passenger flow even if the doors were opened.

The job gets dumbed down even more...

you answer your own question

Well I didn't think they would really need to have another set of markers besides those 8-car marker type-things for the T/O to make sure the train is in the right place...after all, the operator is the only one that can actually move the train if it is in the wrong place

The car stop markers let the motorman know that the train is stopped in the correct place.

The conductors' board lets the conductor know that the train is stopped in the correct place.

Sorry, the punctuation in my last post was poor...I realize that the car stop markers are for the T/O, and obviously the conductor boards are for the conductor lol.

I meant that if the C/R realizes that the train is in the wrong position, there is not all that much he can do, other than alert the operator who should (I hope) already be aware of the situation.

Sorry, the punctuation in my last post was poor...I realize that the car stop markers are for the T/O, and obviously the conductor boards are for the conductor lol.

I meant that if the C/R realizes that the train is in the wrong position, there is not all that much he can do, other than alert the operator who should (I hope) already be aware of the situation.

That's exactly what would happen. If it is under-run, the train will inch up to the correct car marker. If it is overrun, provided that it's only minor, the T/O may get out and ask the passengers not to use the first set of doors which may be beyond the platform. If it overruns too much, than I believe the train has to skip the station.

That's why it's important (especially on a full length train) for the C/R to acknowledge the board and not just throw open the doors since they may not all be on the platform. This may also be why trains will often not enter a station until it can proceed fully to the correct car marker to avoid the possibility of a C/R seeing the station and opening once the train has stopped.

Rule 9.01(f) of the Book:

"Should a Train Operator, without authorization, fail to make a scheduled station stop, they must immediately operate an emergency brake valve..."

"They" referring to C/Rs.

Rule 9.01(f) of the Book:

"Should a Train Operator, without authorization, fail to make a scheduled station stop, they must immediately operate an emergency brake valve..."

"They" referring to C/Rs.

That is cool. I never knew C/R's were authorized to take control like that. I assume the basics of emergency stops are taught in the school car (is that what it is called?) for the conductors-what about operating the train altogether?

Conductors are in charge of the train. It is their job to make sure everything is running smoothly. The T/Os job is to simply operate the equipment in a safely manner. The C/R is supposed to pull the chord whenever there is any safety issues with operations.

that's right....... who's the boss? I'M THE BOSS!!!!!!!!! mwahahahha. *evil laugh*

we are taught and tested on the procedures for handling stopping short/station overruns in school car. technically, all overruns are supposed to be called in and are subject to control's instructions - even if it's a single door panel.

Red and yellow signs have a "WRONG SIDE - DO NOT OPEN" wording on them. There's one at Bowling Green...right above a metal fence that would prevent passenger flow even if the doors were opened.

The job gets dumbed down even more...

7 Av (:P(Q) has one on the correct side...

Archived