Transgender rider gets OK from Brooklyn judge to sue NYC Transit

Trainspotter

Transgender rider gets OK from Brooklyn judge to sue NYC Transit

A transgendered straphanger got the green light to pursue a lawsuit against NYC Transit for "bigoted epithets" she said were hurled at her when she complained her MetroCard didn't work.

Brooklyn Supreme Court Justice Robert Miller, in a decision released Monday, denied NYC Transit's request to dismiss the suit filed by Tracy Bumpus, 40, of Brooklyn.

NYC Transit's lawyers contended the agency was immune from liability under the city Human Rights Law. But Miller ruled, "By riding the subway, a transgender person doesn't become less of a person and lose the protection of the Human Rights Law." Bumpus, an anatomical male at birth who has assumed a female identity, said she was trying to catch an A train in Brooklyn in July 2006 when her MetroCard malfunctioned.

When she sought assistance, a female transit worker called her a "dyke" and ridiculed her, the suit said.

From: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - February 19, 2008

and they sue over that???

get over it!!!! i don't mean to sound evil but please!!

But hey, that was completely wrong.

What if a transit worker said something wrong about you or your race while you was looking for help, right in your face!

This lady shouldn't have been treated like that by the transit worker.

But hey, that was completely wrong.

What if a transit worker said something wrong about you or your race while you was looking for help, right in your face!

This lady shouldn't have been treated like that by the transit worker.

We have a STRICT policy down here about that as well..

That Station Agent is likely out of a job...

and they sue over that???

get over it!!!! i don't mean to sound evil but please!!

What if you got on my bus, had a problem, and I said hey get out of my face (insert oriental racial slur). You would sue, and I hope would give me a piece of the pie. We are cool like that right?

Archived