2010 NBA and NHL Post Season Thread

Shortline Bus

Feel free to discuss guys anything related to the 2010 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs or the NBA playoffs.

First the NBA 1st round matchups are set.

West conference

#1 Lakers vs #8 OKC Thunder

#2 Mavs vs #7 Spurs

#3 Suns Vs #6 Blazers

#4 Warriors vs #5 Jazz

east conference

#1 Cavs vs #8 Bulls

#2 Magic vs #7 Bobcats

#3 Hawks vs #6 Bucks

#4 Celtics vs #5 Heat

NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

East Division

#1 Caps vs #8 Habs

#2 Devils vs #7 Flyers

#3 Sabres vs #6 Bruins

#4 Pens vs #5 Senators

West Division

#1 Sharks vs #8 Avs

#2 Blackhawks vs #7 Predators

#3 Canucks vs #6 Kings

#4Coyotoes vs #5 Red Wings

In the NBA, i be very surprised if this year it is not a Cleveland-LA Championship Final. In the NHL, it close but I think it's Blackhawks vs Caps in the Stanley Cup.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Feel free to discuss guys anything related to the 2010 NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs or the NBA playoffs.

First the NBA 1st round matchups are set.

West conference

#1 Lakers vs #8 OKC Thunder

#2 Mavs vs #7 Spurs

#3 Suns Vs #6 Blazers

#4 Warriors vs #5 Jazz

east conference

#1 Cavs vs #8 Bulls

#2 Magic vs #7 Bobcats

#3 Hawks vs #6 Bucks

#4 Celtics vs #5 Heat

NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs

East Division

#1 Caps vs #8 Habs

#2 Devils vs #7 Flyers

#3 Sabres vs #6 Bruins

#4 Pens vs #5 Senators

West Division

#1 Sharks vs #8 Avs

#2 Blackhawks vs #7 Predators

#3 Canucks vs #6 Kings

#4Coyotoes vs #5 Red Wings

In the NBA, i be very surprised if this year it is not a Cleveland-LA Championship Final. In the NHL, it close but I think it's Blackhawks vs Caps in the Stanley Cup.

This ESPN Update is brought to you by McDonalds. Give me back that filet o fish

West

(1) Lakers vs (8) Oklahoma City- Lakers in 6. The Lakers have struggled recently and Durant has been scoring like crazy. Still, I don't see the Thunder upsetting the Lakers

(2) Dallas vs (7) San Antonio- Dallas in 7. The Spurs are no longer an elite team

(3) Phoenix vs (6) Portland- Phoenix in 5. Brandon Roy is hurt. Portland had no chance of winning

(4) Denver vs (5) Utah- Denver in 7. This will be the most interesing series. I'm only giving it to Denver because they have home court advantage. These teams are evenly matched

East

(1) Cleveland vs (8) Chicago- Cleveland in 4. Do I really need to explain?

(2) Orlando vs (7) Charlotte- Orlando in 5. Orlando is simply the better team

(3) Atlanta vs (6) Milwaukee- Atlanta in 5. Andrew Bogut's absence doesn't help Milwaukee

(4) Boston vs (5) Miami- Miami in 6. Boston has struggled in the second half. The Heat are red hot (no pun intended). Boston is full of aging has-beens. Dwyane Wade will average 35 against Boston

(crossing my fingers and hoping LeBron and Kobe meet in the Finals)

Lakers and Cavs in the finals and the Lakers will win in 6th and Coach Phil will get his 11th ring as a coach.

If Phil Jakcson wins this year, he not only probably the best coach in pro basketball history, Jackson now has to be in the serious discussion of best coach/manager in pro sports history.

With Lebraon trying to pass ARod with richest contract in pro sports history, he on a mission to win his 1st NBA title. I say the Cavs will win their 1st title.

This ESPN Update is brought to you by McDonalds. Give me back that filet o fish

West

(1) Lakers vs (8) Oklahoma City- Lakers in 6. The Lakers have struggled recently and Durant has been scoring like crazy. Still, I don't see the Thunder upsetting the Lakers

(2) Dallas vs (7) San Antonio- Dallas in 7. The Spurs are no longer an elite team

(3) Phoenix vs (6) Portland- Phoenix in 5. Brandon Roy is hurt. Portland had no chance of winning

(4) Denver vs (5) Utah- Denver in 7. This will be the most interesing series. I'm only giving it to Denver because they have home court advantage. These teams are evenly matched

East

(1) Cleveland vs (8) Chicago- Cleveland in 4. Do I really need to explain?

(2) Orlando vs (7) Charlotte- Orlando in 5. Orlando is simply the better team

(3) Atlanta vs (6) Milwaukee- Atlanta in 5. Andrew Bogut's absence doesn't help Milwaukee

(4) Boston vs (5) Miami- Miami in 6. Boston has struggled in the second half. The Heat are red hot (no pun intended). Boston is full of aging has-beens. Dwyane Wade will average 35 against Boston

(crossing my fingers and hoping LeBron and Kobe meet in the Finals)

Mr. Wilson i think i agree with almost all of your 1st round NBA picks. That 'kid' Durant if he stays healthy looks like the next major star(i am not saying 'elite player' like Kobe, Lebraon or Duncan)in the league. Last season, the Lakers won the West and later the NBA world title in a much better competation in their conference including a great run by the Nuggets in the semifinals. This year, LA only 'threat' imo before the Finals, in a softer western division this post season, is Dallas.

In the East, the Cleveland Lebraons lol only challenge imo is Orlando as they added Vince Carter as the 2nd major scoring threat to 'superman' aka Dwight Howard.

If it's not not either Cleveland-LA or both, it will probably be Orlando-Dallas in the NBA Finals, which i know the folks at ABC/ESPN will not be thrilled at.

BOLD = my prediction...

[x] = number of games I think the series will go...

NBA

West conference

#1 Lakers vs #8 Thunder [7]

#2 Mavs vs #7 Spurs [5]

#3 Suns Vs #6 Blazers [5]

#4 Nuggets vs #5 Jazz [6]

East conference

#1 Cavs vs #8 Bulls [5]

#2 Magic vs #7 Bobcats [4]

#3 Hawks vs #6 Bucks [5]

#4 Celtics vs #5 Heat [7]

cliffnotes:

- this won't be a cakewalk for the Lakers... Remember what the Bulls almost did to the Celtics last year...

- Spurs aren't an elite team anymore; Exactly why I think that series will be short...

- Suns have too much offense.. Blazers can't match them basket for basket, and their defense simply isn't up to par...

- only competitive series I see in the East, is that Celtic/Heat matchup...

- Lebron will tear his ACL, rendering a Cavs/Lakers final impossible *evil grin*

NHL

East Division

#1 Caps vs #8 Habs [6]

#2 Devils vs #7 Flyers [6]

#3 Sabres vs #6 Bruins [6]

#4 Pens vs #5 Senators [6]

West Division

#1 Sharks vs #8 Avs [5]

#2 Blackhawks vs #7 Predators [6]

#3 Canucks vs #6 Kings [7]

#4 Coyotes vs #5 Red Wings [5]

cliffnotes:

- People are high on the Canucks... but the Kings got some young talent ppl. don't know about... I'm picking them to beat the Canucks on their home ice, in 7 games

- people are predicting a sweep in that Nashville series... Blackhawks, while they got scorers, they also have goaltending issues... which is why I have this as being a more competitive series....

- don't let that seeding fool you... The Red Wings are like the Phoenix Suns of hockey... too much scoring will be the downfall of the Coyotes... they won't be able to keep up...

- The Bruins pick is my "upset" pick of the entire 1st round.... they play that gritty style of hockey (the way it should be played ;) ), while the Sabres are more finesse... people are picking them, large in part b/c they have an outstanding goalie in Miller.... I see the "grit" edging out the "finesse" in this series....

- the Habs (Canadiens, for you that don't know) may steal another game, but the Capitals have too much raw talent to lose this series... surely ppl. don't think that they can hold Ovechkin (he's like the [OLD Kobe Bryant] of hockey - a chuck; loves to shoot, shoot, shoot) to NO SHOTS the entire series...

BOLD = my prediction...

[x] = number of games I think the series will go...

NBA

West conference

#1 Lakers vs #8 Thunder [7]

#2 Mavs vs #7 Spurs [5]

#3 Suns Vs #6 Blazers [5]

#4 Nuggets vs #5 Jazz [6]

East conference

#1 Cavs vs #8 Bulls [5]

#2 Magic vs #7 Bobcats [4]

#3 Hawks vs #6 Bucks [5]

#4 Celtics vs #5 Heat [7]

cliffnotes:

- this won't be a cakewalk for the Lakers... Remember what the Bulls almost did to the Celtics last year...

- Spurs aren't an elite team anymore; Exactly why I think that series will be short...

- Suns have too much offense.. Blazers can't match them basket for basket, and their defense simply isn't up to par...

- only competitive series I see in the East, is that Celtic/Heat matchup...

- Lebron will tear his ACL, rendering a Cavs/Lakers final impossible *evil grin*

NHL

East Division

#1 Caps vs #8 Habs [6]

#2 Devils vs #7 Flyers [6]

#3 Sabres vs #6 Bruins [6]

#4 Pens vs #5 Senators [6]

West Division

#1 Sharks vs #8 Avs [5]

#2 Blackhawks vs #7 Predators [6]

#3 Canucks vs #6 Kings [7]

#4 Coyotes vs #5 Red Wings [5]

cliffnotes:

- People are high on the Canucks... but the Kings got some young talent ppl. don't know about... I'm picking them to beat the Canucks on their home ice, in 7 games

- people are predicting a sweep in that Nashville series... Blackhawks, while they got scorers, they also have goaltending issues... which is why I have this as being a more competitive series....

- don't let that seeding fool you... The Red Wings are like the Phoenix Suns of hockey... too much scoring will be the downfall of the Coyotes... they won't be able to keep up...

- The Bruins pick is my "upset" pick of the entire 1st round.... they play that gritty style of hockey (the way it should be played ;) ), while the Sabres are more finesse... people are picking them, large in part b/c they have an outstanding goalie in Miller.... I see the "grit" edging out the "finesse" in this series....

- the Habs (Canadiens, for you that don't know) may steal another game, but the Capitals have too much raw talent to lose this series... surely ppl. don't think that they can hold Ovechkin (he's like the [OLD Kobe Bryant] of hockey - a chuck; loves to shoot, shoot, shoot) to NO SHOTS the entire series...

Ryan Miller nearly 1-man show in the recent Olympics, has now made him a superstar in the NHL. Many people are picking Buffalo to make the Stanley Cup but one issue i agree could be a problem for the Sabres is Miller being overtired. I agree with most of your hockey picks bro(b35).

IMO in both the 1st round of the NBA and NHL this post season, lacks any outstanding series but a couple of them could go 7 games.

And if Lebraon tears that ACL, David Stern and the Disney folks at ABC/ESPN may get a heart attack. ;):(

Some developments in the winter sports post season. First in Hockey the Devils this year only ny area team to make the NBA or NHL playoffs was bounced in 1st round by the #7 Flyers. Also gone from the Stanley Cup "Tournment' are the Sabres, Predators Avs & Kings.

Game #7 is Red Wings/Phoenix tonight 4/27/10 which i know EE Local will be watching.:cool:

In NBA the biggest surprise so far in 1st round, is the upstart #8 Thunder tied 2 games apiece w/ defending World Champion Lakers. Everything else early in the '10 NBA playoffs has gone to form including a Texas smackdown tight and close series between Dallas and SA and the Cleveland "Lebraons' leading easily in their series vs Midwest rival the Bulls.

Reactions?

so here are the current states before Round two of the NHL postseason starts

San Jose wins series 4-2 over the colorado avalanche

Chicago Blackhawaks win series 4-2 over the Nashville Predators

Montreal and Washington will be playing Game 7 in Washington ( go habs go! )

Philedolphia won their series against the New Jersey Devils 4-1 ( sorry devil's fans )

Vancoveur wins series 4-2 over the LA Kings

Detroit and Phoenix will play Game 7 tonight at 9:00 pm

Boston won their series Vs Buffalo 4-2

Pittsburgh wins their series 4-2 over the Ottawa Senators

The Orlando Magic easily beat the Bobcats. I have a sick feeling that they can beat the Cavs. This is bad because I want Kobe vs. LeBron in the finals. The NBA needs Kobe vs. LeBron. If the Cavs play the Magic, I hope the refs call every foul on Dwight Howard.

Lakers will be lucky they survive the Thunder. I think you can pretty much rule out a Kobe-leBron finals matchup.

Lakers will be lucky they survive the Thunder. I think you can pretty much rule out a Kobe-leBron finals matchup.

In all due defense of the LA team, Kobe has been playing 'hurt' and spent for first time in his carrer extended time on the injuried list. So have most of his Laker teammates. The Lakers only finished in 1st place in the West Division(regular season champions)only because the other teams that also good ie Dallas, Spurs, and Nuggets also had their #1 players spent time on disabled list. I think no matter what happens this series, the OKC Thunder have a bright future and will have huge expectations next Spring to go further in NBA playoffs.

FYI> If there is a next NBA season as anytime after June there could like in NFL an Strike/Lockout as the CBA expires.:P:confused:

Bad job by David Stern and the NBA and it TV partners Turner and ESPN/Disney.

For instance why is TNT showing the Cavs/Bulls game in which barring a miracle Cleveland will win this series>

While a more tight and closer Heat/Celtics (I Know Boston is ahead in series)is sent to Siberia aka NBA Network which has less coverage than the NFL Network and MLB Baseball Channel combined? Meanwhile on TBS a rerun of the "Office" is on now at 8pm. Could not have 'conflict games also on TBS and ESPN2 on same time like MLB does in 1st round of the Divisional playoff round with TBS/TNT?:mad::tdown:

In all due defense of the LA team, Kobe has been playing 'hurt' and spent for first time in his carrer extended time on the injuried list. So have most of his Laker teammates. The Lakers only finished in 1st place in the West Division(regular season champions)only because the other teams that also good ie Dallas, Spurs, and Nuggets also had their #1 players spent time on disabled list. I think no matter what happens this series, the OKC Thunder have a bright future and will have huge expectations next Spring to go further in NBA playoffs.

FYI> If there is a next NBA season as anytime after June there could like in NFL an Strike/Lockout as the CBA expires.:P:confused:

Well they are hurt and that doesn't help the team at all. As I said the Lakers will be lucky to just get past this round and then the next one. So I highly doubt the Lakers will get far this year.

'Fix'? I don't care how desperate the NBA is, to 'fix' any games would destroy the integrity [or what's left of it] of the game. We don't need another ref scandal. Face it, the NBA is what it is.

What the NBA needs is to get rid of the salary cap just like baseball. Sure it was the one thing that kept the Knicks from spending beyond their means for an even shittier team, but if the market allows for more spending, then they should be allowed to.

After a nice regular season (50-25-7 [still looks like the old ties to me]) and a nice try versus Hockey Town U.S.A. (seven game loss), the Coyotes season is over. But, I think they might be back next season.

If there is one good thing about Detroit, it's the Red Wings. They've earned the nickname Hockey Town U.S.A. and I would say they're are the American equivalent of the Canadiens (or Habs).

11-9 in twenty trips to the Stanley Cup Finals since their first trip in 1935-1936.

Archived