Union Square-Gap Filler Issues?

NX Express

Due to ongoing mechanical problems, Brooklyn-bound (4) and (5) trains are bypassing the 14th Street-Union Square Station.

Please expect delays in (4) and (5) train service at this time.

The only explanation I can think of is gap fillers...

This has been going on the entire rush hour...

Be on the lookout for emergency late night/weekend G.O.s!

If it's only the express side's gap filler with issues, why not have the trains switch over onto the local track?

You would end up delaying (4),(5) and (6) service with the amount of time it takes to switch over + they wold not be able to switch over until after Canal St.

I was there around 8:30. They were still making the announcements about not stopping, but the (4) that was there when I got off the (6) did open its doors. A section of gap fillers near the center was fenced out though, and there were like 3 MTA employees there.

What are you talking about? There are no gap fillers at E. Tremont

But Charlie tells people to please watch the gap as people exit the train to the platform. I heard it on my return trip on the (5) after I rode the <5> for the last time.

But Charlie tells people to please watch the gap as people exit the train to the platform. I heard it on my return trip on the (5) after I rode the <5> for the last time.

So? What does an announcement at one station without gap fillers have to do with a gap filler malfunction at an entirely different one?

The only explanation I can think of is gap fillers...

This has been going on the entire rush hour...

Be on the lookout for emergency late night/weekend G.O.s!

I was just getting off the 6 at GCT when they announced this problem and boy the scramble across the platform from the 4 that was parked was amazing to see. The announcement I heard also talked about reduced speeds on the 4/5 couldn't make it out completely though.

You would end up delaying (4),(5) and (6) service with the amount of time it takes to switch over + they wold not be able to switch over until after Canal St.

Orion's right. There are switches north of 42nd and south of 18th Street (the site of the 1991 derailment incident). Three locals along Lexington would just be too much. The crowds would only get worse (esp. during rush hour) and service in generally would be very limited. Brooklyn services would HAVE to switch back just before BB in order to continue, the former connection from the local track to the southbound Brooklyn service track was dismantled.

What you should do is instead of skip an important station, is see if you can't skip another one farther up the line. They do this out on the realroad all the time.

- A

You can't do that because the problem is at 14th Street, the important station. If the gap fillers don't work, the people can't get off of the train at the point where the gap is too wide. It is a safety issue.

Dumb question, but can they extend the platform southward? I know it would mean they would have to realign the local track to make the platform wide enough. But that way maybe they can do away with the need for the gap fillers.

That would actually be a good idea if the (NYCT) had enough $$$.

Today, they were fixing those Gap fillers at 14st, so the (6) ran express from 14st to the Brooklyn Bridge. Also I think the Bleeker St, station N/B on the (6)<6>, will be moved back, and more adjacent to the S/B side........

Are the gap fillers serviced only from the platform?

Archived