How to fix Amtrak

TheKorean

Well I was thinking how Amtrak was in a financial jam.

So heres my solution. It would clearly take a very long time to accomplish.

1. Cut long distance service, make it a tourist trains. Do it only on tracks that can attract tourists.

2.High speed lines for all of the highly used tracks. Not just Acela. No. Cal- So. Cal line for example. Or Dallas-Houston-Austin line.

3.Cut price of tickets to make it more financially convenient option thaan airplanes when travelling relatibely short distance.

Well I was thinking how Amtrak was in a financial jam.

So heres my solution. It would clearly take a very long time to accomplish.

1. Cut long distance service, make it a tourist trains. Do it only on tracks that can attract tourists.

2.High speed lines for all of the highly used tracks. Not just Acela. No. Cal- So. Cal line for example. Or Dallas-Houston-Austin line.

3.Cut price of tickets to make it more financially convenient option thaan airplanes when travelling relatibely short distance.

I'm not too sure what you're talking about but Amtrak hasn't been in a financial jam for a few years now. Amtrak is on the complete opposite spectrum of being in a financial jam right now. Ridership is at an all time high right now as well, every train I work whether it's Acela or Regional is packed everyday.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2009/oct/27/amtrak-still-losing-money-most-passengers/

Amtrak still gets subsidies from the federal government, and most people never even ise Amtrak in America. Amtrak has to be reformed to be more financially independent.

um, Amtrak is owned by the Federal Government.
The National Railroad Passenger Corporation, doing business as Amtrak (reporting mark AMTK), is a government-owned corporation that was organized on May 1, 1971, to provide intercity passenger train service in the United States. "Amtrak" is a portmanteau of the words "America" and "track".[2] It is headquartered at Union Station in Washington, D.C.[3]

All of Amtrak's preferred stock is owned by the U.S. federal government. The members of its board of directors are appointed by the President of the United States and are subject to confirmation by the United States Senate. Common stock was issued in 1971 to railroads that contributed capital and equipment; these shares convey almost no benefits[4] but their current holders[5] declined a 2002 buy-out offer by Amtrak.[6]

So they will never be "independent".

^Yes, which is why more than ever Amtrak has to become financially independent. Government cant afford to keep subsidizing programs that lose money.

If that's your concern then you should send a letter to the government to cease welfare programs first.

^Yes, which is why more than ever Amtrak has to become financially independent. Government cant afford to keep subsidizing programs that lose money.

It's not a program, it's a business. Did you not read the part where I said ridership is at an all time high? We have new riders every single day on the corridor. Not too sure what trains are like off corridor but I know long distance trains out of Penn (Crescent, Silver Meteor) see good crowds daily. As it was already stated Amtrak is and always will be government owned, so it will never become financially independent.

Saying that Amtrak isn't needed in this country means killing all rail transportation in America... It's been one of the most reliable ways to travel (especially in the Northeast) for years now. What Myrtle said is true, ridership is growing rapidly, and what rail system isn't funded?

Saying that Amtrak isn't needed in this country means killing all rail transportation in America... It's been one of the most reliable ways to travel (especially in the Northeast) for years now. What Myrtle said is true, ridership is growing rapidly, and what rail system isn't funded?

Technically, we dont need Amtrak in the United States. Its a sad truth. But its the truth. No one will use trains that will go from Washington to Chicago or Chicago to Los Angeles. Theres always planes, a lot faster. And no Amtrak doesnt mean no rail transport in US. Commuter and regional trains will always be around.

But I want Amtrak to be successful, and to do that they have to stop relying on government subsidies. If its really a business, try and make profit. Far as I know only the Acela Express and the NEC seems to be profitable.

Modernization is the key. Cut services that is absolutely absurd for everyday use. Like Chicago to LA.

Technically, we dont need Amtrak in the United States. Its a sad truth. But its the truth. No one will use trains that will go from Washington to Chicago or Chicago to Los Angeles. Theres always planes, a lot faster. And no Amtrak doesnt mean no rail transport in US. Commuter and regional trains will always be around.

But I want Amtrak to be successful, and to do that they have to stop relying on government subsidies. If its really a business, try and make profit. Far as I know only the Acela Express and the NEC seems to be profitable.

Modernization is the key. Cut services that is absolutely absurd for everyday use. Like Chicago to LA.

How do you know if they are needed or not? Do you work for them? Do you ride the trains to know?

Please don't bring back the topic of the elimination of LD trains. They are needed, and ridership is constantly rising. The reason Amtrak is not financially feasible is because they don't have the equipment to handle demand. New services, like the corridor between Lynchburg and WAS, are actually making a small profit for the second/third month of service.

Commuter rail will take you from New York to Ronkonkoma, not New York to Chicago. What you are basically proposing is to cut subsidies which will make ticket prices rise even more. Acela and the Northeast Regional already have high enough fares, you should be happy about the promotions they get. Maybe if we didn't spend money on useless things in this country, there would be some left for profitable and reliable high speed rail service.

Also you're not gonna get profit if there's no good service, so telling us that the NE Corridor is the only good route makes you a false analyst. How many times have you ridden Amtrak if I may ask?

How do you know if they are needed or not? Do you work for them? Do you ride the trains to know?

They are losing money!

Commuter rail will take you from New York to Ronkonkoma, not New York to Chicago. What you are basically proposing is to cut subsidies which will make ticket prices rise even more. Acela and the Northeast Regional already have high enough fares, you should be happy about the promotions they get. Maybe if we didn't spend money on useless things in this country, there would be some left for profitable and reliable high speed rail service.

Also you're not gonna get profit if there's no good service, so telling us that the NE Corridor is the only good route makes you a false analyst. How many times have you ridden Amtrak if I may ask?

I am not suggesting that we cut the subsidies yet. Clearly the Amtrak needs it. But that should not be the case is all I am trying to say. They should bemaking profits, and to do so, the network needs a serious upgrades and cuts to be made. Lets face the facts. People might only take Amtrak for a relatively short distance trips, like New York to Boston, or Philly to DC, if they aren't tourists or anything like that.

I like Amtrak, I ride Acela Express to Philly occasionally. But the whole network is clearly flawed, and needs to be fixed. Make it self reliant by spending the money smart, attarct customers away from the airlines.

All Rail systems in the US take Federal subsidies. Rail travel is simply a profit losing endeavor. Look at the MTA. Even though fares pay for a good big chunk of income for operations, they still need subsidies from the Government.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/10/korail-sets-out-its-2015-vision.html

Korail is profitable. I believe railroads can be profitable if the government spends the money right.

Al Korail has done was cutting low ridership services and expanding high speed rail lines. They are growing.

Then Tell the Koreans to run and build our systems, although i rather China or Japan build it. Amtrak needs a larger and bigger fleet along the Northeast Corridor , but i believe they will get one over the next 5 years. Outside the Northeast as some of you know , I don't really care for Amtrak or the Rail systems. I focus on Regional systems. Amtrak is trying to improve its image but its hard when its constantly denied proper funding. But i think if we can bring the Northeast Corridor up to proper High Speed Rail standards Rail funding will change forever.;)

People love the long distance trains, you don't know how many people I meet that are always talking about taking the train out west and how much they love it. When you travel a long distance train from Chicago to LA for example, you know the trip is not going to be fast. You're doing it for the experience plain and simple. Travel is not always about getting from A to B the fastest way possible for alot of people.

You're also not taking into account that alot of people do not like to fly and need to take the train to travel to where they are going. They are also sick and tired of the time you have to allow yourself to fly. NY to Boston on the Acela is 3 1/2 hours, while a flight is about an hour. When you have to be there 2 hours before and then picking up luggage when you land, the whole trip is costing you the same amount time. Yes going long distance can't be compared to flight but like I said people love the experience.

Commuter rail is not intercity rail and could not replace Amtrak. I don't know where you are getting all this stuff but you have not made one good point in this thread. Of course the network is flawed but it works as best as it can for now. I don't think you've rode Amtrak enough to even make an observation on what you're talking about.

People love the long distance trains, you don't know how many people I meet that are always talking about taking the train out west and how much they love it. When you travel a long distance train from Chicago to LA for example, you know the trip is not going to be fast. You're doing it for the experience plain and simple. Travel is not always about getting from A to B the fastest way possible for alot of people.

You're right. You have a lot of Amtrak trains that go past some beautiful scenery. They even have observation cars for that. Here are some pics (NOT MINE):

08amtrak600.jpg

gorecanyon.jpg

img_1487a.jpg

article-1221238-06CDD5AB000005DC-873_468x286.jpg

You're also not taking into account that alot of people do not like to fly and need to take the train to travel to where they are going. They are also sick and tired of the time you have to allow yourself to fly. NY to Boston on the Acela is 3 1/2 hours, while a flight is about an hour. When you have to be there 2 hours before and then picking up luggage when you land, the whole trip is costing you the same amount time. Yes going long distance can't be compared to flight but like I said people love the experience.

Commuter rail is not intercity rail and could not replace Amtrak. I don't know where you are getting all this stuff but you have not made one good point in this thread. Of course the network is flawed but it works as best as it can for now. I don't think you've rode Amtrak enough to even make an observation on what you're talking about.

Sure, there are people that doesn't like to fly. But seriously, we are supposed to keep operating services that will continously lose money because of them? I am not saying end the service. Just vut it down to once or twice a week. The long distance services are clearly losing a lot of money and with the debt we carry I dont think the government can subsidize Amtak for much long. Just make it a torusit attraction.

And speaking of which, I think the price of Amtrak is ridiculous. over 100 dollars to travel on NEC, not even Acela Express, to Boston. 40 dollars to go to Philadelphia. I can get a round trip for less than that on NJ transit.

Sure, there are people that doesn't like to fly. But seriously, we are supposed to keep operating services that will continously lose money because of them? I am not saying end the service. Just vut it down to once or twice a week. The long distance services are clearly losing a lot of money and with the debt we carry I dont think the government can subsidize Amtak for much long. Just make it a torusit attraction.

And speaking of which, I think the price of Amtrak is ridiculous. over 100 dollars to travel on NEC, not even Acela Express, to Boston. 40 dollars to go to Philadelphia. I can get a round trip for less than that on NJ transit.

You obliviously haven't been on Amtrak in a while , its now lower for Amtrak Regional. New York / Newark to Philly is only 28$ , and to Stamford 28$ , to DC form New York / Newark is 49$ & the same to Boston so the fares are lower now. Have been since November? The Acela was mean't to get the Business people form City to City , not the Average guy. But Amtrak Regional seems to modeling itself around the Average Family traveler. I think the Northeast Corridor or Northeast Regional & keystone are the only profitable Amtrak lines. Amtrak will improve during this decade , but you have to give it time , it is the FEDS your dealing with.:mad:

~Corey

Archived